• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN036: Satoshi and Go, Crawl Up From the Sand Hell!

While Scorbunny supplied the drive to learn the technique on its own, and Goh was adversarial/unhelpful for most of the episode, he did ultimately help the firestarter to cement the move through building heat via Quick Attack and supplying the pebble that would inspire Raboot to reliably execute the move as it does now. So, yes-Ember is a meaningful move for both Goh and Raboot that they both contributed to developing.
That feels more incidental than actually meaningful. Like compare the likes of that to say Ash helping his Pokémon like Treecko with Bullet Seed, Tailow with Aerial Ace, Rockruff with Rock Throw, Rowlet with Seed Bomb or Litten with Fire Fang. Those kind of things present a move that trainer and Pokémon made possible together. With Ember, it feels like Go is basically getting more credit than he deserves.

That feels more incidental than actually meaningful. Like compare the likes of that to say Ash helping his Pokémon like Treecko with Bullet Seed, Tailow with Aerial Ace, Rockruff with Rock Throw, Rowlet with Seed Bomb or Litten with Fire Fang. Those kind of things present a move that trainer and Pokémon made possible together. With Ember, it feels like Go is basically getting more credit than he deserves.
Raboot's Ember symbolizes Gou learning the error of his ways and and trying to help Scorbunny accomplish something it was really passionate about. It even triggered it's evolution. I don't see anything incidental about that.

The elephant in the room is arguably OOC Ash. After losing to just one opponent, he should not be shaken up to the extent that he loses to middle-of-the-road challengers.
Honestly, he's had enough of these arcs I think it's an established trait that he's prone to downswings when things go badly, and Bea beat him so badly it makes it hard to imagine how he'll ever reach Leon.
Edit: From his perspective, I mean.

Last edited:
Raboot's Ember symbolizes Gou learning the error of his ways and and trying to help Scorbunny accomplish something it was really passionate about. It even triggered it's evolution. I don't see anything incidental about that.
Go literally didn’t learn the error of his ways until they went to Hoenn and he reaffirmed his bonds with Raboot as that was the point at which he connected with it. Heck I even recall that it wasn’t viewed as a positive with how it had started an entire mini narrative between Go and Raboot that was only settled with said Hoenn episode.

Go literally didn’t learn the error of his ways until they went to Hoenn and he reaffirmed his bonds with Raboot as that was the point at which he connected with it. Heck I even recall that it wasn’t viewed as a positive with how it had started an entire mini narrative between Go and Raboot that was only settled with said Hoenn episode.
Gou wouldn't have gone back on his selfish "you don't need to learn Ember" mentality if he didn't see the error of his ways. He tried to make amends by working with Scorbunny to develop ember. Gou did learn his lesson, the problem is that after evolving, Raboot held a grudge against Gou for not being supportive right away. Gou was only able to convince Raboot that he had learned his lesson in episode 22, but the lesson was learned long before that in the evolution episode.

That feels more incidental than actually meaningful.

And that depends on your perspective. I can see how the situation could come across as an incidental one (given how quickly the conclusion was handled), but I can also see how Goh actively chose to work with Scorbunny on using the move when he did not have to. He did not have to battle with Scorbunny against TR. He did not have to command Ember against an opponent it would be ineffectual against, despite knowing how much it would mean to Scorbunny to do so. He did not have to implement a strategy that would help his Pokemon use a move it really wanted to, and in an unconventional manner that actually played to the species' strengths. But he did, for all three accounts; thus, to me, it was ultimately meaningful; it was also most likely the catalyst for Scorbunny's evolution.

Like compare the likes of that to say Ash helping his Pokémon like Treecko with Bullet Seed, Tailow with Aerial Ace, Rockruff with Rock Throw, Rowlet with Seed Bomb or Litten with Fire Fang. Those kind of things present a move that trainer and Pokémon made possible together. With Ember, it feels like Go is basically getting more credit than he deserves.
That is not a fair comparison given how Ash is a dedicated Trainer who actively works to raise his Pokemon for battle and had several regions of experience with Pokemon raising and interaction by the time of your first example; Goh literally just started his journey with Pokemon and clearly has a lot of room to develop (hence why I liked this episode given his battling); we have barely begun to see him actually train a Pokemon of his explicitly. I fail to see how he's "getting more credit" despite being the key reason Raboot can use Ember. He literally made one comment about how he worked together with his Pokemon; it is not like we just watched an episode with him bragging to the world on how he, and he alone, perfected Raboot's Ember.

Gou wouldn't have gone back on his selfish "you don't need to learn Ember" mentality if he didn't see the error of his ways. He tried to make amends by working with Scorbunny to develop ember. Gou did learn his lesson, the problem is that after evolving, Raboot held a grudge against Gou for not being supportive right away. Gou was only able to convince Raboot that he had learned his lesson in episode 22, but the lesson was learned long before that in the evolution episode.
Only thing there was that that selfishness had stemmed from the basis of him not trying to understand his Pokémon’s feelings. While he may not have presented it in the same way, he did basically ignore that there was some kind of an issue between himself and Raboot until that episode addressed it. For Raboot being his partner, he didn’t even try to understand its feelings until push came to shove there.

That is not a fair comparison given how Ash is a dedicated Trainer who actively works to raise his Pokemon for battle and had several regions of experience with Pokemon raising and interaction by the time of your first example; Goh literally just started his journey with Pokemon and clearly has a lot of room to develop (hence why I liked this episode given his battling); we have barely begun to see him actually train a Pokemon of his explicitly. I fail to see how he's "getting more credit" despite being the key reason Raboot can use Ember. He literally made one comment about how he worked together with his Pokemon; it is not like we just watched an episode with him bragging to the world on how he, and he alone, perfected Raboot's Ember.
Except such a thing isn’t something that changed within Ash from the get go. Even when he was first starting out, he always put his Pokémon first and they would respond in kind. Teaching moves wasn’t a concept as early on but that type of bond that drives Ash to do such things was.

Gou has really stepped up this episode. He's showing to be a pretty good battler. Nice to see him actually growing in that regard. Also, who knew being grappled is Ash's biggest weakness. He has no clue how to handle that situation and that leads him to losing. But It seems he's gonna get out of his funk now. Hope he'll go back to Great ball rank too.

Well that's why I send a letter to studio about this....
サトシ&ナックラー!砂の砂漠で失われた!

サトシとゴーがホーエンに到着。サトシがヌチュラーを捕まえた後、彼は砂の丘に落ちて道に迷いました。それで、サトシは彼の新たに捕らえられたナックラーと共に他を見つけなければなりませません。

(Transition: Satoshi & Nuckrar! Lost In The Sand Desert!

Satoshi and Go arrive at the Hoenn. After Satoshi have catches Nuchrar, he fell down the sandy hills and got lost. So Satoshi along with his newly captured Nuchrar have to find the others.)

They don't take direct creative direction from open submissions. Any similarities to your ideas are purely coincidental. If an audio drama company in the UK doesn't do open submissions there's no way the writing team of an anime that's been going for over twenty years will.

Would give Goh something good to do than just catching every single Pokemon and to be fair, none of Ash's other companions have been competitive battlers outside of gym leaders

May and Dawn had contests, which Ash did participate in a few of, but never as direct rivals to them and contests were never as serious a goal for Ash as they were for the girls. Contest battles are arguably a form of competitive battling, since battle skill is just as important as visual flair.

Man, Riolu got jobbed. Very unfortunate it was up against an Octillary with Psybeam.

I will admit the gag with invisible Sobble giving everyone a scare with the Go-Goggles (and a nice shout out to the game mechanic too).

The first appearance of a Baltoy since the DP series!

May and Dawn had contests, which Ash did participate in a few of, but never as direct rivals to them and contests were never as serious a goal for Ash as they were for the girls. Contest battles are arguably a form of competitive battling, since battle skill is just as important as visual flair.

I agree as it gave them something to do and it was fun to watch, all we're seeing of Goh at the moment really is him catching Pokemon so making Goh a competitive battler would be fun and give him something to do

I agree as it gave them something to do and it was fun to watch, all we're seeing of Goh at the moment really is him catching Pokemon so making Goh a competitive battler would be fun and give him something to do

Even Serena eventually had her princess key performance campaign. I think that's one reason Iris isn't well liked, we go from Dawn, who has a strong arc of her own, to discount Misty (a gym leader with a morbid fear of a certain type who keeps treated Ash like he's an inexperienced kid).

Go has a big selection of Pokemon as well, so if he's willing to put the time and effort in he could have a really varied and powerful team.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised the number of those users who liked the episode is limited. I expected people to be full of praise for the plot and Go in particular.
Well, as far as I am concerned, I really liked the episode: Character development, nice animation, music and action and last but not least Go showing remarkable battling skills. A recipe for an awesome episode!

Let me start with the aspects that need some discussion:
- Dejected Ash: Yes, he suffered a humiliating defeat against Bea (which Riolu just hadn't been prepared for. Otherwise, Ash probably would have won) and yes, the two losses in today's episode were unnecessary and frustrating (and a bit rushed too btw). But considering Ash's career that already took him through many ups and downs, you'd expect him to have learned by now how to deal with such situations. I know it's difficult to make a judgement here because dropping back into Normal Class sure must be extra frustrating. Nevertheless, I would have preferred if Ash (as the Alola champion!) had acted more maturely, brushed off those losses and kept going with his well-known optimism.
- "Region jumping": This series is called "Journeys" but the speed at which the protagonists jump between regions is too high and doesn't make sense to me. In one scene we see them at Sakuragi's lab, while in the next one they're already standing in front of that huge sand tornado in Hoenn. I'm afraid that region jumping might become confusing and kind of implausible if we don't even get to see the actual journey. Otherwise, the whole plot could just as well happen right around the corner. What's the point of calling the series "Journeys" if it doesn't really feel like Ash and Go are actually travelling?

And now for the great aspects:
- I really liked the animation, the music and how the second part of the plot in Hoenn was kind of shrouded in mystery at first. The battle against Flygon offered a great combination of excitement and strategy. It was one of the catches Go definitely deserves!
- Speaking of Go: There are lots of episodes in which I don't like him very much, mostly because of his cheap catches. This time was completely different, though. Go was given his chance to shine and he sure didn't disappoint: Not only did he show remarkable battling skills and creativity which honestly, I wouldn't have expected from him, but he also proved to be a good friend who helped Ash to get out of his depression. And the way he did it was quite nice, too! Instead of claiming it was his own strategy, he showed his respect for Ash by saying that he only did what the latter would have done as well. Yes, I didn't like Go very much in the past but I also need to be fair towards every character and this time I can't help saying: Very good job, Go! Honour to whom honour is due.

As a sidenote: Did you realize that Trapinch could easily be one of the creepiest Pokemon according to its Pokedex entry? Waiting for prey to fall into its hole (and then devouring it)? Unfortunately, the Anime has never explained what Pokemon actually eat. The longer this stays a mystery, the more irritating it is whenever it's accidentially mentioned in a Pokedex entry for example.

To sum up: A very very good episode which I thoroughly enjoyed watching. Also, I'm looking forward to Ash reuniting with his Alolan Pokemon next week and, of course, what he will finally come up with in his rematch against Bea.
As I already said after his first fight, I think the best way to defeat Octolock is using attacks that work from a distance (as opposed to simply staying away from your opponent like Ash did today). Let's see if he still has enough time to properly train and master such an attack with Riolu or if he'll come up with a different strategy.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom