• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN038: Miracle Restoration, the Fossil Pokémon!

I have to give credit where credit is due: I thought this was going to be a painfully boring episode, but it was actually quite good; definitely much better than I was expecting.

I'll start with my girl Chloe, because I just adore her and I think her role here was great. I really, really like how the writers are making her developments very gradual. There hasn't been a really dramatic shift in Chloe's opinions or interests; instead, you see it slowly changing as she learns new things and spends more time with Ash and Goh. I really do appreciate the fact that they are taking their time with it and not just rushing Chloe into one direction or another. You could especially see it on Ash and Goh's faces at the very end of the episode, when Chloe exclaimed that she, too, had fun at the museum! Considering she wouldn't have hesitated to snark at or make faces at Ash and Goh's excitement at the beginning of the series, this was a great way to show how she is evolving (pun intended, lol). I certainly wouldn't have minded if she did a little more this episode, however, because for me, more Chloe is always good!

Goh was also really great this episode. I like how hyperfixated he got on searching for a fossil, to the point where when Ash and Chloe told him it was time to go and he realized it was nighttime, Goh looked visibly confused, lol. But my favorite part of Goh in this episode was how he handled Aerodactyl. First of all, he didn't even attempt to just throw a poke ball at it. His first thought was to battle it, which is FANTASTIC! I would've screamed if Goh's first instinct was to toss a poke ball at a rampaging, newly revived Pokemon. Then, when Raboot gets knocked out, he pulls out another Pokemon! And it's Golurk, one we don't get to see very often! And then, even after he's managed to subdue Aerodactyl, Goh still doesn't just chuck a poke ball at it. He gets down to Aerodactyl's level, speaks to it, comforts it, and then finally catches it. This is what I've wanted to see more of from Goh! I fully understand it can't be every single episode considering how many Pokemon Goh catches, but this is the prime example of a cpature of his I'll clearly remember because it was executed so well and it helped Goh to develop more as a character in his own right.

I also want to give a shout out to Team Rocket because they were great this episode. I thought they were just going to attempt to steal a fossil or a revived Pokemon, which initially I would've been fine with because the episode sounded so boring. But the way they were utilized was so awesome, and they had some amazing lines. My favorites were when Jessie was like "who's idea was this?" and Meowth and James both just go "it was yours" and, without missing a beat, she goes "well who gave me this idea?" And then, when Ash finds them hiding in the habitat, and Jessie just super quietly says "greetings." I busted out laughing at both of those; Team Rocket were really scene stealers this episode!

I do have one nitpick that's bothered me since I watched the episode, however: I laughed at the end when the narrator said that Goh, Chloe, and Ash all had moments of growth. Ash...really didn't do anything. He had a pretty good battle with Team Rocket, sure, but I wouldn't really consider that "growth" for him. I'm not actually complaining that Ash didn't do much, because Chloe and Goh carried the episode with no problem. Honestly, it kind of just serves as more of an example that this show doesn't really know how to handle the "co-protagonist" setup it's got going on. They don't have to try and convince us "look, Ash had growth too!" in a clearly Goh-focused episode.

Just some other random thoughts I had:

-How cute were Golurk, Raboot, and Sobble when they were digging for fossils?? It's amazed me how this series has managed to make Pokemon who I wouldn't traditionally find to be cute so adorable (first Pinsir, now Golurk...it just looked so darn sweet!)

-Goh returning Raboot to his poke ball threw me off BIG TIME. I actually like that they did it...it was just so weird!

-Ash sleeps like a straight up maniac.

-I hated that Curator with a burning passion. I literally just watched the dubbed Colossal Ruins episode and the Tour Guide dude was just brutal, so having to see the same gag again so soon had me ready to lose my mind. That's one COTD template/Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny ripoff I would like to never see again thank you!

One thing I really enjoyed about this episode was seeing Chloe interacting more with Ash, think she spent more time with Ash this episode than she has over all the 37 previous episodes combined which was good, loved that they had to drag her with them at first.

Gives me hope alongside the poster showing her with an Eevee that she's in for more screen time and development

Compared to last week’s Gigalith of a write up, this one is relatively short (thankfully, because I don’t think my brain would handle another long one so soon, not when I expect to write something lengthy next week as well).

Pros:
  • ++ The positive that really drew my attention the most was Koharu’s involvement in this episode even if she wasn’t the main focus of it, her interactions with the boys, the task at hand (of finding/studying fossils), her enthusiasm towards it and the overall adventure they all ended up having. Her interactions with Ash here is a stark difference with how she behaved towards him (and to a lesser extent, with Goh) at the start of the series, with her being weirded and creeped out by his enthusiastic mannerisms. While here, they were basically good friends helping each other out and supporting each other as friends. And no, I don’t ship them. Their interactions in this episode were quite platonic thankfully.
  • ++ Goh’s role in this episode was a lot better than the default GO template they’ve set for him. I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief when Goh’s first instinct with Aerodactyl was not to toss a Pokeball (or the recently revealed and equally terrible reverse curveball) but to try and talk to it to calm it down and understand the situation it was in which he rightly pointed out, that Aerodactyl was afraid of waking up in an entirely new world. The battle was average but that’s mostly due to reasons highlighted in a Con, though Raboot being knocked out was somewhat funny, maybe it’s because it has been ages since it happened since its Scorbunny days. One minor nitpick about Goh’s portion is that he spends hours searching for a fossil and finds none, but then finds a sparkling rock sticking out randomly. Makes his actual efforts look like a total waste and his success comes of as dependent on luck (deja vu?).
  • + World building is slightly better here, maybe it’s because this is the Fossil Museum’s first appearance and was relatively decent, and maybe it’s because they kept the Pewter City layout (at least around the Pokemon Center itself) relatively intact since its last appearance. The dome and volcano exhibit really triggered my OCD though because of how much they kept changing the size/proportions of it throughout the episode. TRio was also a lot better here prior to their conflict with Ash. From their interactions ranging from Jessie being her boisterous and impatient (and somewhat of a slacker) self to James and his tech geek nature. I’ll also remember that deadpan greeting by Jessie at being caught. Now that battle on the other hand...
Cons:
  • - … was very weak. Part of it comes down to how it was written, like Pikachu being Ash’s only Pokemon on hand (AGAIN) and facing off against two a ground type only to start off with THUNDERBOLT??? Fujisaku does love to screw over Ground types using an Electric type, doesn’t he? Then there’s the other portion brought up earlier on why the battles looked weak, and that’s the poor animation quality but again, that’s to be expected with three animators working on this episode and all of them being new at that.
  • - Speaking of Fujisaku and repetitive tropes, he does love to repeat and beat the same ‘gags’ over and over, doesn’t he? The amount of times the “Fossils are ROMAAAAAN” getting repeated in this episode nearly turned me off from watching the entire thing, how was that supposed to be funny? And I know that I’ve already said I prefer the recurring character formula from SM over CotDs, but it’s definitely not in the Joy/Don George/Jenny manner of cloning previously appeared characters. That’s just lazy.
Additional:
  • Initially, I only thought it was a coincidence but now I’m starting to think otherwise. An over affectionate Dragonite? Check. A prankster of a Gengar with insecurity issues? Check. An Aerodactyl with a wild side that rampaged due to fear of waking up in a foreign world? Check. The writers must be taking cues from FanaticLAGuy’s Road to be a Pokemon Master fanfiction series. What’s next, I wonder?
  • It’s a proven fact, Ash’s super strength was never officially gone, he only hid it from Goh back in JN033 to hide his true potential and to come off as a normal kid. Hope no one saw that ‘Rock Throw’ (except the audience).

Verdict: Had low hopes for this episode and even skipped out the live stream due to lack of interest, but it ended up being surprisingly good and from Fujisaku at that. It’s a 7/10 from me.

Last edited:
Graveller was affected by Electro Web though despite it being formed out of pure electricity

Or else Pikachu can secrete sticky substances from its tail now :lapras:
Nah. The net just didn't shock it, but still retained its bouncy properties, which have been established many times before.

POKÉMON JOURNEYS EPISODE 38

"Go Away Romance"

unnamed.png
The Plusle
  • Oh Look a not so random capture
  • Koharu is the best character of this show untill now. I love low paced storylines
  • Oh my It's DP Team Rocket only without Pokémon to love oh well.
  • Golurk had a nice battle. However he is cheap
  • Oh Rabifoot got beaten two weeks in a row. I guess he will be in a slump that will mean nothing in the future.
minun.png
The Minun
  • And what is that Aerodactyl going to do next? Battle, eat the nice apetizers like Pidgey and Spearow that wait for him in the lab? Die of hunger and turn into an amber again? Burn the laboratory alongside Flygon. Oh that would be original.
  • An ugly as f**k Graveler and a freaking Nidorino. Please go to Robot Hell stupid Gatcha
  • ROOOMAAN SHUT UUUUUUUP
  • So this was a Koharu episode?
  • Final Rocket Sunday. Possibly one the worst era from Team Rocket since 2012 When they dissapaered for four months.
  • Sobble being a waste of space. Sorry Sobble fans but 007 Inteleon is whats best for business.
  • The first part of the episode wants me to Go To Sleep ha ha ha you get it?
  • zzz...Go zzz....
  • And what was the strategy that he developed against Bea? What are you telling me he has none? Do the writters not talk between them or what? Did some writter stole something from another or what is going on? Aren't they suposed to be a team.
The rating

My rating is 2 1/2 ROOOOMAN guys out of 5, I was going to put his face here as I always do but he gives me the creeps. Don't appear again Rooman mooron.

Attachments

• minum.jpg
    minum.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 37
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom