• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN039: Satoshi VS Saitou! Conquer the Octopus Hold!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been replaying Dark Souls 3 and after fighting a certain boss called 'Vordt of the Boreal Valley', this theory came to my mind. Vordt is basically a giant wolf/dog-monster with some powerful attacks that can cripple you if you're not careful, but it's weakness is that it can't hurt you if you're literally under it. Then there's also the fact that Ash was hesitating to have Riolu go for close range attacks and having it pull back if it got too close, in JN036.

Taking both those points into consideration. I believe that his strategy may involve using Pikachu to scout out any weaknesses in Grapploct's physiology while hurting it in the process, followed by using Riolu's agile nature to 'get underneath' Vordt Grapploct and get its tentacles all tangled up, basically leaving it exposed.

This post is sponsored by the "Boost JN039 Preview's post count" gang.
The above line is a joke, don't kill me because of it.

Last edited:
So I've been replaying Dark Souls 3 and after fighting a certain boss called 'Vordt of the Boreal Valley', this theory came to my mind. Vordt is basically a giant wolf/dog-monster with some powerful attacks that can cripple you if you're not careful, but it's weakness is that it can't hurt you if you're literally under it. Then there's also the fact that Ash was hesitating to have Riolu go for close range attacks and having it pull back if it got too close, in JN036.

Taking both those points into consideration. I believe that his strategy may involve using Pikachu to scout out any weaknesses in Grapploct's physiology while hurting it in the process, followed by using Riolu's agile nature to 'get underneath' Vordt Grapploct and get its tentacles all tangled up, basically leaving it exposed.

This post is sponsored by the "Boost JN039 Preview's post count" gang.
The above line is a joke, don't kill me because of it.
That sounds fascinating...

Well, as Visquez’s Electrode proved, Hidden Abilities do exist in the anime outside of Zen Mode, so maybe Grapploct’s Ability will be Technician — or maybe Ash will TRY to have Grapploct be paralyzed by Static, only for Limber to be revealed and then he’ll have to think of a new strategy. Either way works for me, really.
Has Pikachu’s Static ability even come up once since Ash’s battle against Paul where it was used against Pikachu to trigger Ursaring’s Guts and turn it into a juggernaut?

The last one of Ash's team to use their ability was Fletchinder using Flame Body to help hatch Noibat. Wish the anime used abilities more, would make battles more fun
Doesn’t pikachu have static?

Wonder if that Electroweb Blocking Strategy Ash & Pikachu used VS Team Rocket in the Recent Episode will make a comeback here. It would be nice to see it and that would make that episode somewhat of an important progression towards Ash's Rematch.

I’m kinda gonna be disappointed going into this episode knowing that we didn’t see any training and ash will probably beat bea. It’s so stupid that goh literally catches two amazing pokemon in ash depression arc and they give like to attention to ash. The win is underserved and honestly i’ll be happy if ash loses because this could be a way to give ash more screentime and actually take training seriously

From a realism standpoint, subbing in his uber powerful Pikachu over the comparatively untested Galarfetch'd is a logical reason for Ash to win even without too much training time--if Pika beats Hitmontop then does good damage to Grappoloct it would seem reasonable.
It does increase my worry that this is really just about Riolu making up for his wounded pride and Galarfetch'd's defeat is unimportant.

I think its another big problem with this series. There's clearly an imbalance between Ash focused episodes and Goh focused episodes, leading to Ash's story suffering because Goh needs to catch all these Pokemon he doesn't even need.
It probably sticks out worse since Ash's storyline is getting less focus at the same time he's finally moved on and is aiming for the big leagues.
That's one reason I've grown sort of cynical about the PWC. With the way things are currently going it may not feel earned if Ash beats Leon (and even before the full PWC started I was worried that would be hard to do because of how ludicrous Cynthia or Tobias were portrayed as with Leon or whoever was top of the PWC would supposedly be the best).

Still, the series has a good amount of time to make a turnaround.

Last edited:
When you're left out of the rematch
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.34.30 pm.png

Lol, part of me does still hope that Ash will lose this match, either that or Bea will be keen to challenge Ash again in the future as she makes a worthy opponent, probably the best next to Korrina
I'm not against him losing either. But imagine getting clapped by Grapploct again, even after weakening it with pikachu this time. That's gotta sting.

I'd really like to see more Bea in the future. This episode makes her more likeable so perhaps she becomes more of a rival here. This match is more about settling the score with Riolu, but she still has a plethora of other pokemon (G-max Machamp) that she can use in future matches to keep things interesting.

Last edited:
This episode makes her more likeable so perhaps he becomes more of a rival here.
The WCS format doesn't need rivals IMO. After Ash has cleared an obstacle, another, more powerful Trainer will eventually appear to hinder his progress. Sure we may see Trainers like Korrina again, but I doubt we'll be seeing many characters as actual recurring rivals in this series.

The WCS format doesn't need rivals IMO. After Ash has cleared an obstacle, another, more powerful Trainer will eventually appear to hinder his progress. Sure we may see Trainers like Korrina again, but I doubt we'll be seeing many characters as actual recurring rivals in this series.
I'd really like to see at least 1 recurring trainer who constantly puts Ash to the test and brings out his best in the PWC. I feel like Bea would be a good candidate for that, given her appearances so far (she's powerful, determined, competitive but still has room for growth). Maybe they're less of a rival in the traditional sense, but it'll get kinda stale if Ash only faces new challengers over and over again in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom