• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN039: Satoshi VS Saitou! Conquer the Octopus Hold!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like to see at least 1 recurring trainer who constantly puts Ash to the test and brings out his best in the PWC. I feel like Bea would be a good candidate for that, given her appearances so far (she's powerful, determined, competitive but still has room for growth). Maybe they're less of a rival in the traditional sense, but it'll get kinda stale if Ash only faces new challengers over and over again in my opinion.

I agree, it also helps that she has a lot more Pokemon so she doesn't always use the same Pokemon every time so we get some variety

Raihan might work as a good rival for Ash afterwards, if Ash defeats Bea.
I agree. Both of them are highly driven to defeat Leon and Raihan's in the Master-class already, which links into the game's comment that he's supposedly strong enough to be the champion if he wasn't in Galar.
I'm not convinced Ash needs a rival in this format (especially with Leon already set up as the final boss) but I think Raihan would work very well as one.

The WCS format doesn't need rivals IMO. After Ash has cleared an obstacle, another, more powerful Trainer will eventually appear to hinder his progress. Sure we may see Trainers like Korrina again, but I doubt we'll be seeing many characters as actual recurring rivals in this series.
The fact that there aren’t any rivals in this makes absolutely no sense. It’s not like this is a knockout style event and everyone is going for the top. Are we really to believe that anyone Ash beats just calls it quits and doesn’t build their rank back up? If anything, this style of competition would be perfect for recurring rivals.

The fact that there aren’t any rivals in this makes absolutely no sense. It’s not like this is a knockout style event and everyone is going for the top. Are we really to believe that anyone Ash beats just calls it quits and doesn’t build their rank back up? If anything, this style of competition would be perfect for recurring rivals.
I didnt say that none of the Trainers Ash beats will come back. I mentioned Korrina as an example of a competitor who could easily come back, and maybe Bea too, but given the nature of this series, I could easily see them featuring old characters or new ones that haven't been seen before in the anime more than any potential recurring rivals.

Last time I checked Kamonegi was listed for this episode. Why everyone is so sure that it's not gonna be used in this match?

I didnt say that none of the Trainers Ash beats will come back. I mentioned Korrina as an example of a competitor who could easily come back, and maybe Bea too, but given the nature of this series, I could easily see them featuring old characters or new ones that haven't been seen before in the anime more than any potential recurring rivals.
But you did say that you don’t think that the format needs rivals as though most characters that hinder Ash’s would end up as one-time bosses having someone else take their place as a roadblock once beaten. IMO that kind of thing would make the competition look more boring and flat since it wouldn’t feel much like they’re striving for the same goal. Plus rivals would be a nice way both to test Ash’s progress as they advance along side him but keep Ash on his toes to not fall behind someone/others he’s in more direct competition with.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but another reason why rivals can be so good is that they can further develop Ash's pokemon (both strength and character wise). We're already seeing this with Riolu, but I don't see why Gengar or even Dragonite couldn't meet their matches in the future. (maybe farfetch'd could even get something, or am I being too optimistic here TPC?)

A big reason why the Alola league felt so satisfying is because all of Ash's pokemon ended up defeating their respective rivals (Pikachu/Tapu Koko, Rowlet/Decidueye, Lycanroc-Dusk/Lycanroc-Midnight, Torracat/Incineroar). Incorporating a similar thing would make future PWC matches more exciting and raise the stakes a bit.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, that another reason why rivals can be so good is that they can further develop ash's pokemon (strength and character wise). We're already seeing this with Riolu, but I don't see why Gengar or even Dragonite couldn't meet their matches in the future. (maybe farfetch'd could even get something, or am I being too optimistic here TPC?)

One of the main reasons why the Alola league felt so satisfying is because all of Ash's pokemon ended defeating their respective rivals (Pikachu/Tapu Koko, Rowlet/Decidueye, Lycanroc-Dusk/Lycanroc-Midnight, Torracat/Incineroar). Incorporating a similar thing would make future PWC matches more exciting and raise the stakes a bit.
I could see Dragonite being challenged by Raihan's Duraludon, and Gengar by Allister's own Gengar (or another Ghost-type if they don't want Ash and his rivals to share species)

Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd is a bit more difficult, but maybe if Bede and/or Marnie are lucky enough to appear, it could get a rival in either Hatterene or Grimmsnarl, maybe. Bea's Hawlucha seemed to be gearing up for a rivalry with Farfetch'd, but alas, it doesn't look like it...

Some day, my little fighting Dux, someday you'll get your chance...

Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd is a bit more difficult, but maybe if Bede and/or Marnie are lucky enough to appear, it could get a rival in either Hatterene or Grimmsnarl, maybe. Bea's Hawlucha seemed to be gearing up for a rivalry with Farfetch'd, but alas, it doesn't look like it...
This is gonna sound insane, but what about Farfetch'd vs Charizard? It can be like St. George vs the Dragon.

Okay, so I went back and watched most of Ash's Gym battles, especially recent ones against Korrina, Wulfric, Clemont etc. They were all 3v3 and fit into one single episode and yet were quite good.

If a 2v2 can start at the halfway mark, fit into 10 minutes of screen time (JN034), turn out really well and be properly paced, then a 3v3 is not out of the question. It's totally possible as long as they don't spend too much time with the pre-battle portions (sweet eating, introduction to Chuck, montage of getting back into Super Class etc.). That way Galarfetch'd can also participate in the re(venge)match.

Okay, so I went back and watched most of Ash's Gym battles, especially recent ones against Korrina, Wulfric, Clemont etc. They were all 3v3 and fit into one single episode and yet were quite good.

If a 2v2 can start at the halfway mark, fit into 10 minutes of screen time (JN034), turn out really well and be properly paced, then a 3v3 is not out of the question. It's totally possible as long as they don't spend too much time with the pre-battle portions (sweet eating, introduction to Chuck, montage of getting back into Super Class etc.). That way Galarfetch'd can also participate in the re(venge)match.
This does give me a bit of hope...

This does give me a bit of hope...
If it would participate, I'm fairly sure it would've been shown in the preview at least momentarily. I understand your disappointment, but for me, it's not overly big of a deal. Ash still has plenty of chances in this series to give it time to shine.

If it would participate, I'm fairly sure it would've been shown in the preview at least momentarily. I understand your disappointment, but for me, it's not overly big of a deal. Ash still has plenty of chances in this series to give it time to shine.
Lucario already the star of the Darkest Day so I wouldn’t sugarcoat it... Lucario's gonna be the ace this time so if anyone became overtly fond of Dragonite, Gengar or Farfetch'd, bad luck. Farfetch'd fans would be graced with an evolution episode but that’s pretty much it.

Dude, I admire your optimism, but let’s not kid ourselves here. The evidence is laid out, and it says that Lucario & Pikachu are the stars of the show and that everyone else is backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom