• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN039: Satoshi VS Saitou! Conquer the Octopus Hold!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it would participate, I'm fairly sure it would've been shown in the preview at least momentarily. I understand your disappointment, but for me, it's not overly big of a deal. Ash still has plenty of chances in this series to give it time to shine.
There have been previews for battles that did not reveal every Pokémon Ash used in the subsequent episode, so I wouldn't count it as certain that Farfetch'd won't appear. Although I agree with you that I think this will be a 2 on 2.

Sigh. As much as I don't have a problem with Riolu being the Ace for this saga, I still do want the rest of Ash's team to get their moments to shine and not receive the Torterra treatment. Otherwise what's the point of Ash catching them if they're just going to sit on the background accumulating losses just to make the stars of Ash's team look more impressive?

Like I said before, the team lineup for this battle makes sense, as Riolu winning against a Grapploct that's implied to have defeated a Mega Lucario not that long ago would look a lot less contrived if Ash's first and most experienced Pokémon weakens it first, so I will let this one slide for now. Just... please let Farfetch'd have some glory after this. And I don't mean just evolving him. I feel he needs to battle at least a few times in his base form before he's ready to evolve.

Last edited:
Dude, I admire your optimism, but let’s not kid ourselves here. The evidence is laid out, and it says that Lucario & Pikachu are the stars of the show and that everyone else is backup.
A thought came to me. What if the same thing that happens to riolu happens to dragonite and gengar? Think of it, Allister could have pokemon that would be great to fight gengar with. Same with raihan he has pokemon that can fight dragonite. I think now that the episode date change we’ll most likely see mini arcs like the riolu one

A thought came to me. What if the same thing that happens to riolu happens to dragonite and gengar? Think of it, Allister could have pokemon that would be great to fight gengar with. Same with raihan he has pokemon that can fight dragonite. I think now that the episode date change we’ll most likely see mini arcs like the riolu one
Initially when Ash got Dragonite, Gengar and Riolu in quick succession, that was my first thought. That his Pokemon would be developed in mini-arcs before episode 65-80 (after which, reserve rotation would factor in) and I hope it still sticks true. It would kind of be similar to his SM team with individual rivals and stakes for each.

Hopefully after Bea and DD, the focus gets balanced between the protagonists and Pikachu/Lucario get toned down somewhat, otherwise I'll be beary disappointed.

Last edited:
Okay, so I went back and watched most of Ash's Gym battles, especially recent ones against Korrina, Wulfric, Clemont etc. They were all 3v3 and fit into one single episode and yet were quite good.

If a 2v2 can start at the halfway mark, fit into 10 minutes of screen time (JN034), turn out really well and be properly paced, then a 3v3 is not out of the question. It's totally possible as long as they don't spend too much time with the pre-battle portions (sweet eating, introduction to Chuck, montage of getting back into Super Class etc.). That way Galarfetch'd can also participate in the re(venge)match.
I've also been questioning whether they're hiding the fact this is a 3 on 3. In that playset we saw recently...
EiQXhN1U8AAEUzO.jpg

...it implies that Galarfetch'd will evolve before Raboot/Riolu. I know toys aren't much to go off of, but all the other Pokemon featured (minus Grookey) are clearly Pokemon that are characters in the anime. In any case, I hope you're right and they're just being sneaky about not showing Farfetch'd in the previews.

I've also been questioning whether they're hiding the fact this is a 3 on 3. In that playset we saw recently...

...it implies that Galarfetch'd will evolve before Raboot/Riolu. I know toys aren't much to go off of, but all the other Pokemon featured (minus Grookey) are clearly Pokemon that are characters in the anime. In any case, I hope you're right and they're just being sneaky about not showing Farfetch'd in the previews.

While this toyset implies Sirfetch'd will happen before Cinderace and Lucario, the opening implies Lucario and Cinderace will happen before Sirfetch'd (And imo, it doesn't make much sense to spoiler Lucario and Cinderace in the opening if Sirfetch'd is gonna evolve first).

While this toyset implies Sirfetch'd will happen before Cinderace and Lucario, the opening implies Lucario and Cinderace will happen before Sirfetch'd
Not necessarily. In all the group shots, both Riolu and Farfetch'd are unevolved. The only time we see Lucario is in the Eternatus scene, and Farfetch'd is absent there. We see Riolu+Farfetch'd in the OP, Riolu+Sirfetch'd in the toyset, but we never see Lucario+Farfetch'd.

But yeah, I'm probably grasping at straws.

Initially when Ash got Dragonite, Gengar and Riolu in quick succession, that was my first thought. That his Pokemon would be developed in mini-arcs before episode 65-80 (after which, reserve rotation would factor in) and I hope it still sticks true. It would kind of be similar to his SM team with individual rivals and stakes for each.

Hopefully after Bea and DD, the focus gets balanced between the protagonists and Pikachu/Lucario get toned down somewhat, otherwise I'll be beary disappointed.
Ash is probably going to meet raihan next as he’s in the opening along with leon.

I just noticed a missed opportunity with the writers having Bea use Hawlucha in the first battle and Hitmontop in the rematch. It should've been the other way around.

If Bea used Hitmontop in the first battle, it'd be a good opportunity to feature all three Hitmons in the same episode (maybe Gou or the dojo master could've commented on it). Plus, as @Lightning Flame Blast said before, we would've been able to witness a Beyblade battle between Hitmontop's Rapid Spin and G. Farfetch'd's Brutal Swing.

Likewise, if Bea uses Hawlucha in the rematch, then Ash replacing G. Farfetch'd with Pikachu would make a lot more sense given the type advantage that Pikachu would have over Hawlucha. G. Farfetch'd being sidelined would still suck, but at least Ash would have a much more concrete reason to do so.

Though it does kinda raise the question, if they weren’t gonna have G Farfetch’d take part in this battle, why did they have him in the original. Seems kinda messed up that he lost badly but doesn’t get some kind of redemption.
Especially when you consider that dramatic shot of the leek dropping which pretty much signifies one of its biggest weakness.

Especially when you consider that dramatic shot of the leek dropping which pretty much signifies one of its biggest weakness.
You’d think something like that would lead to some kind of story arc with it but then kids heads might explode from having to process more information than can be contained in 1 episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom