• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN039: Satoshi VS Saitou! Conquer the Octopus Hold!!

tbh, i am not bother with off-screen Goh captures in Ash focused episodes, because that gives Ash more screentime than i am with on-screen Goh captures in Ash focused episodes.

You act like Goh catching Chinchou on screen would've taken too much time when at most it probably would've taken a few seconds. I just don't get how anyone can complain about wasted screentime whenever it might involve Goh when at least a minute at the end of the episode was dedicated to showing Ash, Bea and Chuck gorging themselves on pastries. Now that was a waste of time.

You act like Goh catching Chinchou on screen would've taken too much time when at most it probably would've taken a few seconds. I just don't get how anyone can complain about wasted screentime whenever it might involve Goh when at least a minute at the end of the episode was dedicated to showing Ash, Bea and Chuck gorging themselves on pastries. Now that was a waste of time.
Those "gorging" scenes, as you put it, were very vital to show the characterization of Bea as more than just a hardened and stoic fighter. That it showed her sweeter and softer side and gave her some backstory was a very important matter. What would an effortless Goh capture have contributed in the bigger picture? What do his captures even contribute to his own goal in any noticeable way in the first place?

Last edited:
I wasn't really expecting a draw, but its better than another loss. Really wish Riolu pulled off a clean win, but at least he took down Grapploct. There were several little moments I did like, such as Riolu carrying Pikachu to safety and the chance to see Bea's softer side. It was also nice to see that Bayleef cameo. It would have been nice if we could have gone without another pointless capture for Goh though.

Was there even a point to bumping Ash back down to Normal Class and putting him through that stupid funk if he's gonna suddenly return to Great Class offscreen? Honestly, I don't like how this Ash and Bea stuff has been handled and it bothers me that this isn't the end.

Was there even a point to bumping Ash back down to Normal Class and putting him through that stupid funk if he's gonna suddenly return to Great Class offscreen? Honestly, I don't like how this Ash and Bea stuff has been handled and it bothers me that this isn't the end.
With how things panned out, I genuinely believe that the only reason for that was to have Ash off his game so that Go could take the lead in the Flygon episode.

I mainly blame the writer of episode 36. I may be totally wrong here, but that writer, being new to the series, to create a downward slope for Ash to recover from, and the writers of this episode, with the little time they had, just had to write Ash having gotten back up off-screen.

You wanted this to be the end? Whether Ash won or lost here, the ending would've been supbar due to the sloppy buildup and the rushed nature of the arc itself; now, his and Bea's rivalry can actually potentially end on a good note.

You wanted this to be the end? Whether Ash won or lost here, the ending would've been supbar due to the sloppy buildup and the rushed nature of the arc itself; now, his and Bea's rivalry can actually potentially end on a good note.
Plus, it gives Riolu time to evolve outside of battle and become a more powerful opponent for Grapploct.

Great episode for the most part, I loved the Johto flashback and the surprise of the match being a draw. Downside is the self-contained format once again hurts the series with Ash's re-entry into Super Class and his preparation for the battle getting Morpeko'd.

Honestly, there should have been an episode dedicated to Ash and Riolu training, and ultimately making it back to the great class before the rematch with Bea. Soon I'm betting we're gonna get a 3rd battle against Bea, only for her to debut G-Max Mechamp. He might not have lost here, but I don't think we're done with Bea until Ash gets a real win, not a tie.

I can’t lie, this was one of my favorite episodes and probably the best ending that could’ve happened. I didn’t want ash to win because he never really trained for it and I wanted ash to use lucario to fight Bea. This riolu has a strong aura so I would be suprised if we get a special aura bond evolution like greninja. I’m happy we got a cameo with the favorite green dinosaur and i’m happy that bea talked in this episode and she kinda cute. My favorite part of the episode was when riolu picked up pikachu and brought him back. Sadly, next episode we go to another GOH focused episode. Enjoyed the ash episode once every 10 episodes guys. Probably my favorite episode other than korrina episode. I decided i want to see more of Ash so i’m gonna watch kalos series again and i want to see lucario be like greninja lul

I thought this episode was actually really bad. First the Cianwood Gym looked completely different on the outside, then Pikachu lost to Grapploct and Ash had to rely on his baby Riolu to battle it, then the tie happened. It was just complete bs and now we have to prepare for Bea coming back in the future. :bulbaFacepalm:

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom