• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN041: The Great Pikachu Dubbing Operation! / Half a Numacraw

Wow today's ep was pointless. I tend to not mind filler if it was entertaining, but this was just not. Everything just felt so pointless. Even the ending pretty much says what happened in it was pointless. Why were the Marshtomp and the Ludicolo in the OP if this was all they were for?

Why were the Marshtomp and the Ludicolo in the OP if this was all they were for?

Brock-baiting, probably, considering he had both a Marshtomp and Ludicolo. Logically it wouldn’t of happened here since there were multiple Marshtomp and the Alola reunion just happened, but it still makes you think about Brock, who will most likely make an appearance down the line.

They make you see Marshtomp and Ludicolo out-of-context in the opening and you most likely remember Brock had them so there’s a vague chance it might be hinting at a reappearance, which means you might keep checking out episodes to see if he does, and therefore you keep watching the show.

Brock-baiting, probably, considering he had both a Marshtomp and Ludicolo. Logically it wouldn’t of happened here since there were multiple Marshtomp and the Alola reunion just happened, but it still makes you think about Brock, who will most likely make an appearance down the line.

They make you see Marshtomp and Ludicolo out-of-context in the opening and you most likely remember Brock had them so there’s a vague chance it might be hinting at a reappearance, which means you might keep checking out episodes to see if he does, and therefore you keep watching the show.

They could have at least given the Marshstomp to Goh.

giphy.gif
Come On Goh's on the road to catching everything so why not get Marstomp? Also at least then someone would take something out of this episode

Goh tried, but it didn’t work. I don’t understand why. I know that happened with Celesteela in SM or something, but neither really make sense to me. If a Poké Ball turns something into energy, how can it get stuck in the ground?

I didn’t really need Goh to catch anything and the plot wouldn’t have worked if he could have just done that, but I still don’t understand how that works with the logic of how a Poke Ball operates.

Last edited:
Yea, still not a fan of these 2 segment episodes. They just feel entirely pointless. While some people say that it’s better to stuff 2 fillers into 1 episode rather than having them otherwise be 2 individual episodes, I say why not neither? It’s not as though a series has a quota that it has to fill thus needing for these to exist. If it’s just meant to be a breather episode before a big plot point, why not instead give us something akin to a downtime episode rather than these pointless segments?

First of all, I'd like to thank this episode for providing me with a new avatar.

Second of all, I didn't hate this episode... in the sense that I enjoyed the first segment a lot (it was nice to see a slice of life from Team Rocket) but the second one just didn't interest me... but at least it was just half an episode because if the Numacraw story had been a full episode then I definitely would have hated it. Having said that I will give it credit in that Satoshi and Go tried the obvious solutions first to free Numacraw (capture, Messon etc.) before they started to get silly (why not try ferrying the water again after kicking the rock out of the way).

Again, one good segment and one bad segment leads me to consider this episode to be 'ok'.

Wobbuffet is Big Brother....lol.

The first half of this episode was pretty funny. I always love when the writers break the fourth wall with TR. The second half was ok, but I do love when the writers make the point that Ash is very much an idiot outside of battles, Trying to carry water with his mouth is really in character for him.

The dubbing part of the episode felt empty. Dubbing Pikachu was rather dull and not really funny, at least to me as a non-Japanese demo. But the Team Rocket's interactions were great. I liked at least that in this part.

The Marshtomp part is just OK. Marshtomp's reactions were funny and entertaining, but Ludicolo's part didn't make too much sense, and especially "and the next day" part brought it to a pointless conclusion.

I'm taking that part where Meowth can't bring himself to tell them what Pikachu is saying as evidence that Pikachu swears like a 90s anime fansub and nobody can stop me.

Edit: Although Jessie's interpretation of him earlier on reminds me of a common fanfic joke from the old days.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom