• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN042: Sword & Shield I - Slumbering Forest

Well, he hasn't been able to prove that in his official battles so far. I assume the writers deliberately gave him some power boost, so he was allowed to shine in this episode.
Well, writers deliberately hyping up a character by portraying them as ultra-powerful happens literally all the time, and not just in Pokémon or even just in anime. This is something that appears in literally every piece of media that contains even the slightest bit of action. In Pokémon itself, this has been done not just with Leon, but with other Champions too: notice how nearly every Champion has gotten a moment in the anime where they utterly trounce some other trainer, often one that the audience knows is skilled. It happened with Alder, whose Bouffalant effortlessly defeated Trip's ridiculously OP Serperior. It happened with Diantha, whose Gardevoir trounced a former Kalos League winner's Absol without getting hit once nor even needing to resort to Mega Evolution (unlike one certain League Rival we all know and love to hate). It happened with Cynthia, whose Garchomp knocked out four of Paul's Pokémon in one hit each.

TL; DR, Champions tend to be overhyped by the writing because it serves to highlight how their purpose in the games is to be the final boss fight, which audiences naturally expect to be the toughest challenge, and Leon is far from the only one that's been hyped this way.

In the new ep 46-47 i forgot the ep but it said to be the gluttons king that means Goh squirrel galar pokemon might have episode for itself and might evolved

Well, writers deliberately hyping up a character by portraying them as ultra-powerful happens literally all the time, and not just in Pokémon or even just in anime. This is something that appears in literally every piece of media that contains even the slightest bit of action. In Pokémon itself, this has been done not just with Leon, but with other Champions too: notice how nearly every Champion has gotten a moment in the anime where they utterly trounce some other trainer, often one that the audience knows is skilled. It happened with Alder, whose Bouffalant effortlessly defeated Trip's ridiculously OP Serperior. It happened with Diantha, whose Gardevoir trounced a former Kalos League winner's Absol without getting hit once nor even needing to resort to Mega Evolution (unlike one certain League Rival we all know and love to hate). It happened with Cynthia, whose Garchomp knocked out four of Paul's Pokémon in one hit each.

TL; DR, Champions tend to be overhyped by the writing because it serves to highlight how their purpose in the games is to be the final boss fight, which audiences naturally expect to be the toughest challenge, and Leon is far from the only one that's been hyped this way.
Am i missing something here but I don’t remember diantha fighting an absol?

There’s one other small detail I liked about Leon in this episode. He isn’t wearing his cape here. It makes him feel more down to Earth and more serious, since his cape is all extravagant (as it’s filled with sponsors and gives him a ‘royal’ appearance). Whilst that look makes sense for official championship battles, since he’s putting on a show, this DD situation is a more serious matter. Like he’s not trying to make himself look like some kind of saviour here, and is only focused on resolving the issue at hand. Maybe it’s just me, but it feels like we’ll see a more desperate and compassionate side to him with Ash here; compared to how he’s normally all theatrical and cool-headed in his previous appearances.

It’s a little thing, but it stuck out to me.

Last edited:
I'm still quite bummed about how there was no buildup to these events at all...would've made for an especially awesome arc if that were the case. Still, I'm expecting plenty of positives, and am always happy to see more Galar!

+ Ash calling scones 'nice-smelling tiny thingies' was really cute.​
+ Finally Chairman Rose and Oleana!! Also finally seeing Professor Magnolia after goodness knows how long.​
+ Ash finding Zacian and Go finding Zamazenta was really cool. The dogs' color schemes matching them so well definitely seems like something they planned from the start when designing the characters and planning out future arcs. Really cool scene, especially with that howling and background music.​
+ I'm a sucker for Sobble and Raboot interaction, Sobble being on Raboot's head while Go called for Ash was A+ :3c​
+ Sonia and her car are so freaking cuuute​
+ Centiskorch is probably one of the scarier gmaxes to encounter and seeing it burn down and rush through town was pretty scary. I felt soo bad for that little girl. Cool scene overall!​
+ Seeing Ash struggle in battle using 3 mons was great, and the battle music choices for this whole segment was awesome. I really love seeing gmax Centi in action.​
+ Leon!! Happy to see him.​
- Wish they went for a different battle music when Ash and Go were fighting the dogs. The generic battle theme for PM2019, even if it's a remix of SwSh battle music, is too upbeat and didn't match the atmosphere.​
- Would have been nice if there was a bit more of a battle between Leon and Centiskorch rather than him defeating it with one attack. I know it was weakened from its battle against Ash and Leon is supposed to be strong, but still.​

love how Ash completely forgot about Go and was just like 'Leon please take me with you!!' lmao

Great episode. I'm definitely excited for the continuation despite the lack of proper buildup.

Wish they went for a different battle music when Ash and Go were fighting the dogs. The generic battle theme for PM2019, even if it's a remix of SwSh battle music, is too upbeat and didn't match the atmosphere.
I wish they’d have used the Slumbering Weald theme from the games since it fits the situation for obvious reasons...

I wish they’d have used the Slumbering Weald theme from the games since it fits the situation for obvious reasons...
Using music from the games to promote the glorified commercials that the anime is?

Naaaaaaaaah

Which is frustrating since we have an amazing gym leader remix for Gigantamax battles

I’m confused, don’t they do this all the time? Unless you mean the raw game music instead of an anime remix equivalent.
They do it infrequently enough in PM19 that it's frustrating, especially with how orchestral the music's gotten in the 3D-era games, which could fit int othe anime just fine

Not all of Hayashi's tunes are game remixes - only a few of the battles themes exist

I enjoyed this, but man, this episode looked like crap. It's giving me war flashbacks to back in the OS and AG days when they'd frequently assign bad animators to work on important episodes.

This episode was...pretty mediocre. Not bad, but I kind of expected a little more out of an episode that's going to kick off the arc inspired by the games. I knew nothing super substantial was going to happen, but they could've at least made it a little more interesting.

I did enjoy seeing Rose and Oleana and getting that glimpse of what they're up to. But I agree with everyone who's said they should've gotten a little more build up before this arc. It kind of bums me out that we're heading straight into the heart of the Galar arc with little to no background on those two outside of the conflict. Kind of makes things a little anticlimactic, in my opinon.

Also, although the first scene with Ash and Goh was super cute (them playing rock, paper, scissors to see who would turn off the lights) and was a good lead in to Ash finding his Dynamax Band glowing, they weren't really interesting in the rest of the episode. At least Ash got some involvement with Leon in fighting Centiskorch, but the Goh and Sonia scenes felt very glossed over and really didn't add anything, which is a bummer since I love Sonia. I don't know, I really just found a majority of the episode to be extremely mundane.

Hearing the game music was great, though. That dynamax music gets me seriously hyped up, lol. It's one of my favorite pieces ever, and I barely ever comment on the music.

It does sound like a lot of this was built upon in the next episode, which I'm looking forward to seeing myself. But just judging this episode on its own and I was pretty underwhelmed.

Slumbering forest
What type of environment is this?
It seems to be a thick misty or foggy environment of forest and their was river to be seen or stream? Their was grass, ground of paths and scrubs or bushes?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom