• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN042: Sword & Shield I - Slumbering Forest

A relatively decent start to the 4-episode arc, though this episode's first half was relatively unninteresting and they started the Eternatus Orb portion right off the bat (despite us knowing that Eternatus is already free). They need to clarify this before the arc ends.

The second half is where things pick up when Centiskorch G-Max's and nearly flattens an entire town hence showing how dangerous that particular mechanic can be, followed by the boys splitting up to go off on their own missions with the respective adult companions. Also, this might be the first time in this series where we've seen Ash using 3 Pokemon simultaneously. These simultaneous Pokemon match-ups are something that need to be seen often, without any one Pokemon getting too much highlight. And then there was that creepy smirking driver cameo. The tinfoil conspiracy theorist in me says that it's Giovanni who's going out on field missions himself and manipulated Rose and Oleana.

The animation and art direction was excruciatingly bad though, and the way Ash was drawn here gave me serious OCD (overly thin arms, overly thin legs etc.).

What a great way for starting the Darkest Day Arc right off the back with the rampage Dynamx coming from the sky. Wondering if the next 3 episode get interesting for the Galar Legendaries Duo to save the region from total destruction.

Overall rating: B+

So the Centiskorch people thought Ash or Goh would catch was someone elses

I'm guessing the father and daughter it belonged to were the Eva and Doug that were listed in the credits

So the Centiskorch people thought Ash or Goh would catch was someone elses

I'm guessing the father and daughter it belonged to were the Eva and Doug that were listed in the credits
Eventually, they might catch it after this Arc is over. If the writer wanted them to do it or not.

Not a bad start to this arc though the rest is what will determine whether I like it or not. I like how Ash has not just Pikachu but Riolu and Dragonite fighting off Centiskorch, I was so certain they were just gonna have G-Max Chu battle it so I’m glad they didn’t do just that. Also glow in the dark Pikachu and Dragonite holding both Riolu and Pikachu is blessed stuff.

I guess that finally Ash remembered that you can carry more than two Pokémon arround.

I need to watch the episode with good quality but for me it was a bit boring, but that always happens with first episodes of arcs.

Honestly, not much to say about this episode. It was a pretty standard start for the SWSH arc. Seeing Ash use 3 Pokemon simultaneously was nice, and G-max Centiskorch's rampage clearly demonstrates how dangerous the Dynamax phenomenon can be when uncontrolled, but aside from that, there really isn't much to say about this episode.

Anyway, now that the boring start is out of the way, I look forward to the rest of the SWSH arc.

A relatively decent start to the 4-episode arc, though this episode's first half was relatively unninteresting and they started the Eternatus Orb portion right off the bat (despite us knowing that Eternatus is already free). They need to clarify this before the arc ends.

The second half is where things pick up when Centiskorch G-Max's and nearly flattens an entire town hence showing how dangerous that particular mechanic can be, followed by the boys splitting up to go off on their own missions with the respective adult companions. Also, this might be the first time in this series where we've seen Ash using 3 Pokemon simultaneously. These simultaneous Pokemon match-ups are something that need to be seen often, without any one Pokemon getting too much highlight. And then there was that creepy smirking driver cameo. The tinfoil conspiracy theorist in me says that it's Giovanni who's going out on field missions himself and manipulated Rose and Oleana.

The animation and art direction was excruciatingly bad though, and the way Ash was drawn here gave me serious OCD (overly thin arms, overly thin legs etc.).
Who the driver following Goh is that Looker?

What a great way for starting the Darkest Day Arc right off the back with the rampage Dynamx coming from the sky. Wondering if the next 3 episode get interesting for the Galar Legendaries Duo to save the region from total destruction.

Overall rating: B+
what you expect to happen to Ash in these next two episode and who is the men following Goh in the car is that Looker

Centiskorch looks beautiful here and I like how they actually did a good job portraying how an alien phenomenon can be dangerous if left unchecked (especially compared to the disaster the Ultra Beast plot turned out to be...). The wolves were quite a whimsical sight, hope we get more of that.

Ash finally remembered he has other pokemon in his party and I’m so glad Dragonite is getting some focus through all of this Lucario/Cinderace hype. Pikachu and Riolu casually sitting in its arms was adorable.

Not exactly fond of Leon oneshotting yet another pokemon, but at least this time it happened without Dynamax to show that he isn’t useless without it after all.

Solid start to the arc, but I couldn’t make out the dialogue without subs so this’ll have to wait.

Centiskorch looks beautiful here and I like how they actually did a good job portraying how an alien phenomenon can be dangerous if left unchecked (especially compared to the disaster the Ultra Beast plot turned out to be...). The wolves were quite a whimsical sight, hope we get more of that.

Ash finally remembered he has other pokemon in his party and I’m so glad Dragonite is getting some focus through all of this Lucario/Cinderace hype. Pikachu and Riolu casually sitting in its arms was adorable.

Not exactly fond of Leon oneshotting yet another pokemon, but at least this time it happened without Dynamax to show that he isn’t useless without it after all.

Solid start to the arc, but I couldn’t make out the dialogue without subs so this’ll have to wait.
Who is that driver Rowling Goh was that Looker?

This seems like a pretty good start to this arc. I doubt that my positive feelings will continue since this arc will be rushed.
I wonder when the evolutions will start. I predict episodes 3 and 4.
I also liked how they showed just how powerful Leon is with Charizard taking out a Gigantamax Pokemon like it was nothing. That remix of the Gym Leader theme was also FIRE!!!

Some problems I had with this episode is that Rose and Oleanna looked "off" in some shots. Rose looked really dumpy and something about Oleanna's face rubs me the wrong way.
Also, the Rotom Phone really didn't have any data on Zamazenta or Zacian? I haven't played the game, so this may just be a reference that I didn't get, but it feels a bit contrived.

Pretty good start to the DD arc, of course things are going to pick up in the coming episodes.
I wish Goh had captured a Galar Pokemon like Wooloo instead of a Bunnelby, but I guess it's better than another Kanto Pokemon.

I still think it's odd that the trainer didn't even try to return Centiskorch to it's Poke Ball when we know that it's possible to return Dynamax Pokemon. Was it not worth it to, y'know, attempt to save your town from certain destruction? I know he was probably afraid, but he didn't even try. If he tried and it didn't work, fine, but they didn't even show that it wouldn't work so now it just seems like he let his Pokemon destroy a town.

Ash using 3 Pokemon was great even if short lived. That's what I want to see from things like raid battles, especially with Legendaries, where Ash and Goh basically have to use their entire teams to bring it down.

Leon basically one-shot Centiskorch which was a bit hard to believe. Leon is strong, but jeez, his Charizard can one-shot Gigantamax Pokemon without even Gigantamaxing? Again, Charizard has changed it's moveset (though it was a move he knew previously but had forgotten). The fact that Leon constantly changes his moveset based on his opponent is a really good idea and shows how he became the best in the world. He researchs his opponent's Pokemon and adapts his Pokemon accordingly.

Who the driver following Goh is that Looker?

He looks more in-line with Rose's secret service agents that we saw in the preview for the arc. They probably caught on that Sonia is trying to poke her head into places they don't want her to go and are trying to stop her from uncovering more secrets.

Also, the Rotom Phone really didn't have any data on Zamazenta or Zacian? I haven't played the game, so this may just be a reference that I didn't get, but it feels a bit contrived.

I'm pretty sure Zacian and Zamazenta haven't been seen since they disappeared during the first Darkest Day, so no one's ever written down any Poke Dex entries or data about them since they've been missing and gone unstudied for so long.

Pretty good start to the DD arc, of course things are going to pick up in the coming episodes.
I wish Goh had captured a Galar Pokemon like Wooloo instead of a Bunnelby, but I guess it's better than another Kanto Pokemon.

I still think it's odd that the trainer didn't even try to return Centiskorch to it's Poke Ball when we know that it's possible to return Dynamax Pokemon. Was it not worth it to, y'know, attempt to save your town from certain destruction? I know he was probably afraid, but he didn't even try. If he tried and it didn't work, fine, but they didn't even show that it wouldn't work so now it just seems like he let his Pokemon destroy a town.

Ash using 3 Pokemon was great even if short lived. That's what I want to see from things like raid battles, especially with Legendaries, where Ash and Goh basically have to use their entire teams to bring it down.

Leon basically one-shot Centiskorch which was a bit hard to believe. Leon is strong, but jeez, his Charizard can one-shot Gigantamax Pokemon without even Gigantamaxing? Again, Charizard has changed it's moveset (though it was a move he knew previously but had forgotten). The fact that Leon constantly changes his moveset based on his opponent is a really good idea and shows how he became the best in the world. He researchs his opponent's Pokemon and adapts his Pokemon accordingly.

He looks more in-line with Rose's secret service agents that we saw in the preview for the arc. They probably caught on that Sonia is trying to poke her head into places they don't want her to go and are trying to stop her from uncovering more secrets.

I'm pretty sure Zacian and Zamazenta haven't been seen since they disappeared during the first Darkest Day, so no one's ever written down any Poke Dex entries or data about them since they've been missing and gone unstudied for so long.
Well Ash pokemon did weaken that giantic Max Pokémon enough for Leon to finished it off. Also maybe that Pokémon use a lot of engrey

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom