• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN043: Sword & Shield II - Black Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo boys i’m thinking what’s gonna happen to gary will happen to goh. Ash and leon are going out to battle right? Goh and sonia do some research. I think goh will become a researcher when he realizes that catching every pokemon isn’t really that good. He’ll make use of the pokemon at cerise lab.

This is a bit of a digression, but...
I think goh will become a researcher when he realizes that catching every pokemon isn’t really that good. He’ll make use of the pokemon at cerise lab.
I'm spitballing here, but I do think making Goh a researcher/citizen scientist from the get-go would have made his goal much more palatable, compared to his current goal of catching all Pokemon just to see Mew. You could even still connect the research aspect to Mew; perhaps Goh's desire to see Mew is so that he can study and learn about it considering there's little info on it due to its rarity, and he wants to catch a lot of Pokemon to sample their DNA (Pokemon Genome Project?) because Mew is purported to be the ancestor of all Pokemon. In fact, you could even avoid the issue of all these Pokemon piling up in the lab by going for a catch-and-release sort of angle, like he captures and then tags them akin to what real world biologists do to track things like animal migration.

Sadly, it seems that they're quite adamant on sticking to the contrived "catch all Pokemon because it somehow leads to Mew" goal with no intention of tweaking or altering it to have it make sense or be better overall, if that 'clapping/applauding' in JN037 is any indicator (a way to shove it in the audience's face that it's somehow a "cool thing").
Yeah, the logic of the capture of every Pokémon in the world somehow making Mew available makes no sense in the context of the anime. Maybe it would make more sense if Goh's logic was more along the lines of "I need to build a Pokémon team strong enough to take on Mew so I can catch it" and simply not knowing which species would be the most apt for that job, so he catches as many as he can to have variety and to test them out and then build a Mew-countering team based on the results. Granted, it is possible that that's what the writers are going for, but there's been no indication of it either way, so...

This feels like a fitting episode the day before Halloween!

I sincerely hope they don't rush through this arc, though. I agree that this should just be Sonia telling Ash and Goh about the Darkest Day. Journeys' pacing so far has been pretty disappointing, and this is something I really don't want them to breeze through.

I'm assuming this is just Ash 'n Gou learning about the Darkest Day from Sonia, otherwise that's some lightspeed pacing if I've ever seen it. :lapras:
They are not going to spend 20 minutes talking about folklore that was already explained in Sonia's debut. There's rushing and then there's needless padding, when the focus should be on defeating Rose, various Gigantamaxed Pokemon and Eternatus. When all is said and done, Sonia will figure out that the wolves were the real heroes originally (if that doesn't happen in the first episode).

That's as shallow and collector-like that you can get for a path.
So par for the course for a collection-oriented franchise aimed at kids (because wanting to be the world's greatest trainer is deep). It just took a while for the anime to represent that and do away with the vaguer goals.

I think goh will become a researcher when he realizes that catching every pokemon isn’t really that good. He’ll make use of the pokemon at cerise lab.
He's already a research assistant. Maybe he should focus more on his Pokemon's behavior (he should, but I am not sure that would entertain the average viewer), but this wouldn't be the same as Gary not focusing on battling anymore. Let's not pretend that we saw more than a glimpse of Gary's research, or any character's for that matter.

And while Go will probably realize that he doesn't need every Pokemon to be worthy of Mew, he will not say that his goal is bad just because some fans don't like it. Otherwise a lot of goals would have been rejected by now (this did happen with Jessie as a coordinator, though).

Last edited:
I'm spitballing here, but I do think making Goh a researcher/citizen scientist from the get-go would have made his goal much more palatable
B-but...this is literally his current job...he's literally a research fellow...working on a lab...under a professor...it's literally part of his job title...AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
Screenshot_20200725-145805_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
B-but...this is literally his current job...he's literally a research fellow...working on a lab...under a professor...it's literally part of his job title...AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
To be honest, I don’t watch much of the anime, most of my impressions of it stem from here and Bulbapedia’s summaries. Much of the complaints I’ve seen here make it seem like Goh’s research aspect factors in little to his character, e.g. his goal isn’t research focused to my understanding, but considering that’s the bulk of my knowledge of the anime my impression could be wrong. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom