• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN043: Sword & Shield II - Black Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the logic of the capture of every Pokémon in the world somehow making Mew available makes no sense in the context of the anime. Maybe it would make more sense if Goh's logic was more along the lines of "I need to build a Pokémon team strong enough to take on Mew so I can catch it" and simply not knowing which species would be the most apt for that job, so he catches as many as he can to have variety and to test them out and then build a Mew-countering team based on the results. Granted, it is possible that that's what the writers are going for, but there's been no indication of it either way, so...

I always saw the whole "get every Pokémon" thing as a reference to the random busy work you have to do in Pokémon Go in order to meet Mythical Pokémon. "Thank you for helping me research Mew! Your first research assignment is to catch 10 Ghost-Type Pokémon, hatch three eggs, and evolve a Koiking into a Gyarados. Good luck!"

In other words, Gou's just doing one long Research Task.

I'm assuming this is just Ash 'n Gou learning about the Darkest Day from Sonia, otherwise that's some lightspeed pacing if I've ever seen it. :lapras:

This arc is only 4 episodes. They likely need to start the Darkest Day soon. So, they have two episodes to solve the situation.

That's hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if four episodes was their plan from the start.
Yeah. I don't think the COVID has affected this arc.

A 4 episodes arc fits with the focus Journeys gives to Galar (more than other regions, but far from Kanto).

Episodes airing in late October would have gone into pre-production in late April, probably. They would have known that a hiatus was going to happen by that point.

Plus, the Sword & Shield arc just happens to start the exact same day the "Crown of Tundra" video game DLC comes out. That's no coincidence.

I doubt they did much during the hiatus, so February is a safer bet on when the episode started production.

It's possible that the pandemic caused some fillers to get shafted because of this arc, but this arc itself getting shafted? I doubt it, since nothing should be more important than representing the current games accordingly and I doubt there's an ever bigger event in the near future with more priority.

Honestly, compared to the past games, the Darkest Day is something that could have happened at any point in the game. Sure it would have been more of a problem if it happened, say when you first get to Hammerlocke.

Team Rocket had plots that took place over the course of the game in Gen 1 and 2.
Team Magma/Aqua had an overarching plot that took place across the region.
Same with Teams Galactic, Plasma, Flare and Aether.

If you disagree, I understand.

Summary and VA lists courtesy of Adamant

This is the story of "Satoshi", a boy who wants to be the best at Pokémon battling, and "Go", a boy who dreams of getting every Pokémon. Let's Go! To the Pokémon World! With our dreams and adventures!

Summary:
Pokémon that has grown gigantic are running wild?!
Satoshi and Go set off to investigate an incident that has taken place in the Galar region. And when they arrive, they see groups of Pokémon that have grown gigantic running wild! To resolve this crisis, Satoshi joins up with Dande, the Greatest of Them All, while Go tries solving the mystery alongside Sonia, who aims to become a Pokémon Professor. An organization that intends to bring back the Black Night, the disaster that struck the Galar region in the distant past, are working behind the scenes of this incident!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Marina Inoue: Sonia
Kenichiro Matsuda: Rose
Atsuko Yuya: Olive
Shoko Tsuda: Magnolia
Kosuke Tanabe: Olive's Subordinate A
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Last edited:
Summary and VA lists courtesy of Adamant

This is the story of "Satoshi", a boy who wants to be the best at Pokémon battling, and "Go", a boy who dreams of getting every Pokémon. Let's Go! To the Pokémon World! With our dreams and adventures!

Summary:
Pokémon that has grown gigantic are running wild?!
Satoshi and Go set off to investigate an incident that has taken place in the Galar region. And when they arrive, they see groups of Pokémon that have grown gigantic running wild! To resolve this crisis, Satoshi joins up with Dande, the Greatest of Them All, while Go tries solving the mystery alongside Sonia, who aims to become a Pokémon Professor. An organization that intends to bring back the Black Night, the disaster that struck the Galar region in the distant past, are working behind the scenes of this incident!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Marina Inoue: Sonia
Takuya Kirimoto: Rose
Atsuko Yuya: Olive
Shoko Tsuda: Magnolia
Kosuke Tanabe: Olive's Subordinate A
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration
GENGAR AND DRAGONITE HYPEEEEE

I hope they reveal that Gengar can Gigantamax. Would be a good way for them to give it some screen-time and would encourage them to include it more often whenever they go to Galar. Now we just need Farfetch’d to appear.

Magnolia physically debuting is cool too. Team Rocket also appearing.

I’m guessing Goh will get his Dynamax Band from Prof. Magnolia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom