• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN046: Battle and Catch! The Revival of Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I've noticed in the new preview that Cinderace and Lucario aren't in it until it's time to fight MewTwo?

Perhaps they'll be in their Pokeballs more often than we think? (Well I'm sure they'll still appear at least once per episode. Just not full-time travel Partners like they used to be)
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I guess the writers may have realized that, given their sizes relative to Ash and Go, that it would be a bit awkward to constantly have them out of their balls (plus I’d imagine it’s just easier to animate with less characters constantly on the screen than so many human sized ones).

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I guess the writers may have realized that, given their sizes relative to Ash and Go, that it would be a bit awkward to constantly have them out of their balls (plus I’d imagine it’s just easier to animate with less characters constantly on the screen than so many human sized ones).

Yeah After all they do now have limitations on what they can do given how big they are now. Riding on Planes/Trains/Dewgong/Dragonite to travel around is gonna be a no go.

I've got a feeling that it might be a one time deal like the Ho-oh episode...
The fact that Mewtwo actually interacts with the main protagonists in this episode instead of simply making a pointless cameo and has a strong connection with both of the main protagonists (Ash because of their previous encounters, and Gou because of his goal of catching Mew) greatly bumps up the chances of Mewtwo having a more prominent role in this series beyond featuring in a random CotD episode.

I mean, it made sense then. Have you seen how long it takes the average Pokémon to fire off Moonblast in XY? It's basically a mini Solar Beam.
You write as if the animators can't shorten move animations like they have done myriad times in the past, including your Solar Beam comparison.

That aside, Gardevoir has a diverse move-set. Diantha didn't even use a fourth move during the fight, instead opting to spam ineffective Shadow Balls relentlessly; we could have seen Thunderbolt, Magical Leaf, Disarming Voice, Hyper Voice, Dazzling Gleam, Focus Blast-the list goes on.

Mewtwo has even more potential move-set wise and it would be a disservice to have it only rely on one, non-STAB move against Pikachu, Lucario, & Cinderace.

True. The used term just was slightly incorrect.
You are correct regarding the distinction between move-sets and movepools.

When I wrote that comment, I was thinking about move-sets because I was responding to possible support of Diantha's Gardevoir spamming one of its 3 moves due to one of them having as long animation. As a Champion's Pokémon, and ace no less, its move-set should have been more polished (like Lance's Gyarados).

I'm tired of Pokémon rarely using a full and adequate move-set in fights, especially when they have a large movepool to choose from.

Pretty sure Mewtwo will overpower both Ash and Goh, but will stop right before KO’ing them. Seeing Lucario and Cinderace, regardless of their opponent, lose in their second appearance would make them seem weaker to new fans/children. To us, we know they’re still strong (Throwing a Copperajah is impressive as hell).

Pretty sure Mewtwo will overpower both Ash and Goh, but will stop right before KO’ing them. Seeing Lucario and Cinderace, regardless of their opponent, lose in their second appearance would make them seem weaker to new fans/children. To us, we know they’re still strong (Throwing a Copperajah is impressive as hell).
They defeated Eternatus on a positive note while understandably being temporarily downed at one point. Between that and a loss to Mewtwo (who I am certain the writers will remind us of its Legendary status), I don't think the little kids will care too much.

Your post made me think of Hawlucha though, who got a far worse treatment, haha. He was actually KOed in its debut episode...and KOed in the very next episode too, unceremoniously.

Cinderace looks great here; gosh, I love how it is being animated-that Blaze Kick looks grrrrrrreat.

Shameless fanboying aside, this 2nd preview actually provided something notable for once! From the clip, I'm guessing Ash starts with Pikachu, only for it to be incapacitated, and Lucario is summoned after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom