• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review JN046: Battle and Catch! The Revival of Mewtwo

Reaction score
as always no reads what im saying
what I'm saying
Pikachu has lost easily but his power is greater than Goh Bunny.
Pikachu should have last longer in the battle then Goh fire rabbit pokemon

The cold is nigh
Reaction score
as always no reads what im saying
what I'm saying
Pikachu has lost easily but his power is greater than Goh Bunny.
Pikachu should have last longer in the battle then Goh fire rabbit pokemon
He should, which is why the battle was questionable at best.

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Genuine question: why not?
Because he's too big a star. Masachika Ichimura's not that well known to us Westerners because he doesn't have a bunch of anime voiceover work on his resume but he is an absolute TITAN in the world of Japanese theater. He's had leading roles in plays like Jesus Christ Superstar, West Side Story, Cats, Phantom of the Opera (his performance in this one is what originally caught director Kunihiko Yuyama's eye, apparently), Miss Saigon, Sweeny Todd, Scrooge, tons of Shakespeare, and many, many more. Even if you don't know a lick of Japanese a quick glance at his stage resume here reveals that this man's done a lot of theater.

He's also been in a lot of Japanese movies and TV shows over the years, though most of those, like his stage shows, have only really been seen by Japanese audiences.

I suppose a rough equivalent of him in the U.S. would be someone like Nathan Lane or James Earl Jones or, if you want someone more contemporary, Lin-Manuel Miranda. Maybe TPCi could pull some strings and snag one of those actors for a single movie or TV special, sure, but a whole story arc? Yeah, that'd be next to impossible.

It's the same with Masachika Ichimura and Mewtwo.

I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle
Reaction score
Because he's too big a star. Masachika Ichimura's not that well known to us Westerners because he doesn't have a bunch of anime voiceover work on his resume but he is an absolute TITAN in the world of Japanese theater. He's had leading roles in plays like Jesus Christ Superstar, West Side Story, Cats, Phantom of the Opera (his performance in this one is what originally caught director Kunihiko Yuyama's eye, apparently), Miss Saigon, Sweeny Todd, Scrooge, tons of Shakespeare, and many, many more. Even if you don't know a lick of Japanese a quick glance at his stage resume here reveals that this man's done a lot of theater.

He's also been in a lot of Japanese movies and TV shows over the years, though most of those, like his stage shows, have only really been seen by Japanese audiences.

I suppose a rough equivalent of him in the U.S. would be someone like Nathan Lane or James Earl Jones or, if you want someone more contemporary, Lin-Manuel Miranda. Maybe TPCi could pull some strings and snag one of those actors for a single movie or TV special, sure, but a whole story arc? Yeah, that'd be next to impossible.

It's the same with Masachika Ichimura and Mewtwo.
Thanks for confirming. I checked his IMDB after your initial post and he seemed to be a very prominent actor (rather than primarily a VA), but not being familiar with Japanese cinema I was reluctant to post anything because I wasn't sure if they were big roles or not.

Reaction score
That doesn't sound like enough justification to me. Especially since Giovanni no longer remembers it.

If this is truly Mewtwo's only appearance it's for the best that TR weren't involved. It would have taken away time from Ash and Go vs. Mewtwo
Using Mewtwo for a remember your goals episode is in my opinion a waste of time, speciall knowing his background and his relation with Mew.

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Definitely would have preferred an arc featuring Mewtwo and TR, but for a singular episode I don’t think a plot involving both could have been very well executed or developed.

I do want to point out, though, that just bc Giovanni doesn’t have memories of Mewtwo doesn’t mean he wasn’t evil enough to create it and attempt to enslave it in the first place. So I wouldn’t find it inappropriate to see him or TR involved in a Mewtwo plot.

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Definitely would have preferred an arc featuring Mewtwo and TR, but for a singular episode I don’t think a plot involving both could have been very well executed or developed.

I do want to point out, though, that just bc Giovanni doesn’t have memories of Mewtwo doesn’t mean he wasn’t evil enough to create it and attempt to enslave it in the first place. So I wouldn’t find it inappropriate to see him or TR involved in a Mewtwo plot.
Mewtwo already got rid of Giovanni once. I think it deserves a peace of mind about that man.

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Got rid of him in the sense that he's no longer at its heels.
Right I get what you meant, but what I’m saying is that as long as he’s still out there, there’s not much stopping him from pursuing Mewtwo again if he rediscovers it.

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Right I get what you meant, but what I’m saying is that as long as he’s still out there, there’s not much stopping him from pursuing Mewtwo again if he rediscovers it.
That's exactly what my original reply meant: I don't think that pursuit should be restarted.

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
That's exactly what my original reply meant: I don't think that pursuit should be restarted.
I’m just saying I think it’s possible for it to happen. I think it would be interesting to see them interact again in present day.