• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN046: Battle and Catch! The Revival of Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were gonna have Goh capture a Legendary this early, it would've been Zapdos. They're probably just setting up a relationship between Goh and Mewtwo because they share a connection to Mew and probably some story setup for it to return in the future for whatever they have planned. I feel like we'll see some Team Rocket involvement, so I hope the Matori Matrix are being sent after this thing to show that Giovanni is interested in capturing it.

I think that this is a new Mewtwo. They can't use the original without permission from Takeshi Shudo's estate, which was a big reason why M16 used a new Mewtwo in the first place.

As for Go, he's already seen that catching Zapdos was futile. If anything, Mewtwo will make him understand that he'll have to actually bond with Mew, and legendaries are out of the question.

Imo, the only reason Goh didn't catch Zapdos in the episode is because they barely damaged it at all. The only real hit they got in was Raboot's Blaze Kick. If they kept on beating down on it, Goh probably would have caught it eventually. That episode as a whole was really weird, I felt like barely anyone got hurt except Raboot (Team Rocket gags don't count) and that everyone could have easily kept on fighting if the episode was longer.

As for Go, he's already seen that catching Zapdos was futile. If anything, Mewtwo will make him understand that he'll have to actually bond with Mew, and legendaries are out of the question.

I don't think Goh saw that catching Zapdos was futile, in fact, that experience probably makes him more likely to try and catch Legendaries considering he probably would have caught Zapdos if he had weakened it a bit more so that it didn't have the strength to launch an attack. Zapdos summoning that lightning was a literal Hail Mary attempt to not get captured considering he was so close. Goh even said he was only giving up "for today" and still wanted to capture it. Regardless of if he does or not, he probably will keep trying.

Mewtwo will either just not take him seriously and write it off as impossible or just stress the point that it would be incredibly difficult and unlikely.

I think that this is a new Mewtwo. They can't use the original without permission from Takeshi Shudo's estate, which was a big reason why M16 used a new Mewtwo in the first place.
How do you know they haven't already got permission for this episode? Hold your Horsea a little.

The title "Revival of Mewtwo" could go either way. It could mean that the old Mewtwo is reappearing after a long time, or it could mean the creation of a new Mewtwo.
We'll just have to wait and see I guess, though it'll probably be cool regardless. It'd be really cool to see the original, though.

I'll be really interested to see how this pans out. The original Mewtwo was not a movie-only Pokémon of course, it appeared in a couple of OS episodes. That and the fact that Giovanni is still a recurring presence in the anime makes me think that this could in fact be the OS Mewtwo. But who knows, maybe Team Rocket decided to create another Mewtwo in secret. That would be extremely lame though.

Shudo had the rights to the Movie 1 script, not Mewtwo's personality. The most likely reason they picked a different Mewtwo for Movie 16 was that they didn't want to assume kids were familiar with Movie 1 (it was 15 years old). This time the movie has already been remade, so there is zero excuse to troll us with "revival" and an obvious nod to the movie. They should upload Mewtwo Returns to YouTube or air it on Pokenchi, but Mewtwo's origin story and clash with Ash are more important than his feud with Giovanni. Hopefully there will be an extensive flashback for both.

I don't think Goh saw that catching Zapdos was futile, in fact, that experience probably makes him more likely to try and catch Legendaries considering he probably would have caught Zapdos if he had weakened it a bit more so that it didn't have the strength to launch an attack. Zapdos summoning that lightning was a literal Hail Mary attempt to not get captured considering he was so close. Goh even said he was only giving up "for today" and still wanted to capture it. Regardless of if he does or not, he probably will keep trying.

Mewtwo will either just not take him seriously and write it off as impossible or just stress the point that it would be incredibly difficult and unlikely.
I guess we'll have to wait and see, but Zapdos literally proved that a legendary may break a Poke Ball open from within, and that at least some of them don't have any time to play house with trainers.

Last edited:
Highly doubt we’ll get it, but I really hope we finally get to see at least one of the Mega Mewtwo forms get its debut in the main-series anime.
If this is the case, then I'd prefer for it to be the X form, since Y at least played a prominent role in the Genesect movie, while X only had a split-second cameo in one of the Mega Evolution specials.

The word Revival makes me thing that this is Team Rocket Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom