• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN047: Pokémon Champion! The Battle of Big Eaters!!

I honestly imagine Hop’s going to show up and rock the Grookey line, even though Sobble is more of a fit to a character like him.
Really???

If anything I always saw Hop as a Scorbunny dude. XD With his personality and the fact that Dubwool is literally modelled after a Soccer Ball.

Technically it did already debut in the last episode's intro sequence.
You know what I meant.

Really???

If anything I always saw Hop as a Scorbunny dude. XD With his personality and the fact that Dubwool is literally modelled after a Soccer Ball.
Well, I always thought the idea of Hop was to overcome difficulties and enjoy the occasions you have, showing you will become strong from your fears of failing. Sobble goes from a timid creature into a MI6 agent, which shows signs of maturity and growth, like Hop.

Ok this episode's clear MVPs were Burshyamo (whose heart didn't squeeze a little/also simultaneously burst out laughing at its reaction to the Achamo manju?!) and also Kikuna. I hope the latter is allowed to have a personality, interests, a life .etc a little more frequently than once every 47 episodes...

Meanwhile this Morpeko disaster continues... It's like some producer somewhere was like "TRio can't have their own Pokemon this series, but they still need a Galar Pokemon associated with them for promotional reasons... Hey that thing we did last time with Kiteruguma worked pretty well! Why don't we do something similar but make it as different as possible so the audience doesn't twig?" and then proceeded to make the most horrible TRio/Pokemon relationship we've seen maybe ever?

Here are some things I loathe in this comparison:
- Where Kiteruguma's (positive and loving) intentions were clear pretty much from the off, Morpeko doesn't seem to have any kind of in-universe raison d'être.
- Kiteruguma showed up in almost every episode that the TRio did, making its episode count 68/146 (47%). Meanwhile Morpeko is on 4/19 since its debut (21%).
- Kiteruguma was sometimes a nuisance but she knew when to back off. Kojiro had to keep Morpeko on a leash in this episode. Isn't that awful?! Why!? I don't wanna see this in a series about humans and animals lovingly co-existing!
- Kiteruguma cared for and mothered the TRio, providing them with nutrition they'd been sorely lacking pretty much forever. Morpeko literally steals the food from their open mouths. WHy.
- They loved Kiteruguma and Nuikoguma like their own family. In contrast they seem to fear and despise Morpeko.
- Seemingly just to add insult to injury, where Kiteruguma saved them from countless yana kanjis, Morpeko actually blasted them off itself today, and that too after it had gone to happy form!!

I mean, it truly makes me despair.
Even BW Kojiro was allowed to feed Desumas into loyalty (even if it didn't do a damn thing of worth after that encounter).

They still have time to redeem this clusterfuck, but some SERIOUS improvements will be required to get even a diehard TRio fan like myself on board.

Ok this episode's clear MVPs were Burshyamo (whose heart didn't squeeze a little/also simultaneously burst out laughing at its reaction to the Achamo manju?!) and also Kikuna. I hope the latter is allowed to have a personality, interests, a life .etc a little more frequently than once every 47 episodes...

Meanwhile this Morpeko disaster continues... It's like some producer somewhere was like "TRio can't have their own Pokemon this series, but they still need a Galar Pokemon associated with them for promotional reasons... Hey that thing we did last time with Kiteruguma worked pretty well! Why don't we do something similar but make it as different as possible so the audience doesn't twig?" and then proceeded to make the most horrible TRio/Pokemon relationship we've seen maybe ever?

- Where Kiteruguma's (positive and loving) intentions were clear pretty much from the off, Morpeko doesn't seem to have any kind of in-universe raison d'être.
- Kiteruguma showed up in almost every episode that the TRio did, making its episode count 68/146 (47%). Meanwhile Morpeko is on 4/19 since its debut (21%).
- Kiteruguma was sometimes a nuisance but she knew when to back off. Kojiro had to keep Morpeko on a leash in this episode. Isn't that awful?! Why!? I don't wanna see this in a series about humans and animals lovingly co-existing!
- Kiteruguma cared for and mothered the TRio, providing them with nutrition they'd been sorely lacking pretty much forever. Morpeko literally steals the food from their open mouths. WHy.
- They loved Kiteruguma and Nuikoguma like their own family. In contrast they seem to fear and despise Morpeko.
- Seemingly just to add insult to injury, where Kiteruguma saved them from countless yana kanjis, Morpeko actually blasted them off itself today, and that too after it had gone to happy form!!

Even BW Kojiro was allowed to feed Desumas into loyalty (even if it didn't do a damn thing of worth after that encounter).

They still have time to redeem this clusterfuck, but some SERIOUS improvements will be required to get even a diehard TRio fan like myself on board.
Is it wrong for me to say that I actually personally prefer Morpeko? I was never really a fan of Bewear's comical OPness or how it kept appearing at most inopportune of times.

TBH, I don’t think anything will ever top the Alola gang of TR, as they actually felt like a family. Sure, Arbok and Weezing’s leaving episode was sad, and so was Dustox, but I don’t think we’ll ever see the relationship TR had with the Alola gang for a long time, and especially coming off the back of that series, I doubt we’ll see Morpeko change in its attitude until very late in this. Quite sad really, I always thought TR were the best part of Sun & Moon, but now are the worst segment of the show.

Overall, I thought this was a perfectly enjoyable filler episode. Too bad Dragonite didn't get past the first round...
Obviously not. What was Ash thinking with using Dragonite, when Snorlax is only a call away.
He should’ve called Lucario to win the contest.
almost all of Ash's team (bar Farfetch'd)
At this point it’ll be better if farfetch’d was released to make a spot for some other Pokémon. They should’ve given Ash Kubfu instead of farfetch’d.

Is it wrong for me to say that I actually personally prefer Morpeko? I was never really a fan of Bewear's comical OPness or how it kept appearing at most inopportune of times.
I don’t have a lot to add to this thread having not seen the episode so I feel awkward inserting myself into this but while you can prefer Morpeko, I feel like it should be very much acknowledged Kiteruguma is the overall better character. Yeah she could be a plot device to keep TRio out of stuff and be comedically OP at times but overall, she had a drive (losing her baby which fueled her motherly instincts towards Team Rocket (which a lot of fans picked up on early on and were rewarded with)), we repeatedly saw how kind she could be (from Mimikyu to Wicke to f*ing Matori!), after series after series of Team Rocket going around starving and in poverty, having her feed, house, take care of, and defend them, with her fulfilling a parently role none of them have had compared to Morpeko who’s just some freeloader bullying the TRio out of their food in times it doesn’t feel deserved. It’s kind of like how Dawn is probably the best written female companion overall but I feel closer to Suiren and Lillie.

Honestly reading what ii kanji wrote really makes me wish if they wanted to have this gag, they went with Cramorant. Cramorant could’ve filled a similar gluttonous role (with added hilarity with gorging on Nyasu and Pikachu at times +the classic Kojiro gag) but instead of kicking Team Rocket around and being that awful roommate (as someone else put it) Morpeko is, it’s dumb but affectionate and doing it’s best, making for a cute dynamic with the TRio. I mean, judging from the Movie 23 promotional material, they clearly know we wanted this pairing so why didn’t they go with this in the main show?

I don’t have a lot to add to this thread having not seen the episode so I feel awkward inserting myself into this but while you can prefer Morpeko, I feel like it should be very much acknowledged Kiteruguma is the overall better character.
That is true. I can't deny that. It's just a matter of preference.

Bewear had a story behind. Morpeko is totally random.

Pretty much the problem Team Rocket have in this series. It's just random and they even use a randomizer.

At this point it’ll be better if farfetch’d was released to make a spot for some other Pokémon. They should’ve given Ash Kubfu instead of farfetch’d.
Now that you mention it, I am very curious as to how they'll handle that. Will either Ash and Gou get a Kubfu (or both to become the alternate forms), or will Mustard keep it as his ace?

How very interesting, might be worth a topic on its own that... :unsure:

Even if Ash used Snorlax I doubt he would have won considering the Snorlax that appeared still ended up losing

This.

Even if Ash used Snorlax I doubt he would have won considering the Snorlax that appeared still ended up losing

A Pokémon even from the same especies have different attributes and values. This has been stated since Pokémon Red and Green.

Whilst not the worst episode I've seen of late, this one could have been better

Whilst good to see Goh using Skwovet and Team Rocket putting Morpeko to good use, I would have preferred a battle or sumo like competition over an eating one

Honestly reading what ii kanji wrote really makes me wish if they wanted to have this gag, they went with Cramorant. Cramorant could’ve filled a similar gluttonous role (with added hilarity with gorging on Nyasu and Pikachu at times +the classic Kojiro gag) but instead of kicking Team Rocket around and being that awful roommate (as someone else put it) Morpeko is, it’s dumb but affectionate and doing it’s best, making for a cute dynamic with the TRio. I mean, judging from the Movie 23 promotional material, they clearly know we wanted this pairing so why didn’t they go with this in the main show?
Knowing this series and how they treat them with Pokemon they'll probably get it once from the gacha machine, do Cramorant things that Cramorant do and afterwards it'll be punched out of existence like all the other Gacha mons and most likely never brought up again.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom