• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN049: Koharu and the Mysterious, Mysterious Eievui!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sobble: What are you doing, you idiot? Run away! Get out of here while you still can! Don't let yourself become a Useless Plushie Advert like I did!

Pikachu: Do not listen to him, child. Join our group and embrace your destiny as a Lap Warmer. Your kind is already a mascot, so it is futile to resist.

Eevee: *not paying attention to either of them* I like turtles :D

They Are Soooooo Cute!!! still not cuter than togepi and oshawott tho

Misty=Togepi=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap
May=Munchlax=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap
Dawn=Piplup=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap
Iris=Axew=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap
Lana=Sandy=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap
Mallow=Shaymin=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap
Lillie=Vupix=Memorable Cuz Cute=Sits On Lap

Oh NO NO NO NO NO!!!

The Only Ones Of These Pokemon Who Did Something was Vupix and Piplup Vulpix Being A Big Part In Lillie's Development And Piplup taking Part In A Lot of Memorable Contests and Screaming PERSONALITY!!!

Curious that this Eevee seems to have escaped from an evolution research facility. There has been speculation that Eevee's "mysterious" status was a result of it's Gigantamax trait, which I jokingly replied that Eevee would need to swim through a pile of evolutionary stones (and fail to evolve) in order for that to be brought up in a Kanto episode. However, the reason this Eevee is at such a facility is probably because scientists have already tried and failed to force it to evolve, and now they're researching to try and find out why it didn't. So the question is, is it a Gigamax Eeevee, a partner Eevee, or both?

I believe it is both. It's safe to say that this Eevee DOES have the Gigantamax trait, but given how common and unremarkable Gigantamax has been portrayed as in this series, I don't think that it is what makes Eevee mysterious OR the reason that it can't evolve. If Eevee can't evolve because it can Gigamax, then that means Pikachu is also incapable of evolving, and it's safe to say that the writers want to steer clear of acknowledging that considering how often they like to force that "will they/won't they" schtick, even as recently as 13 episodes ago. Because of that, the reason for this Eevee not being able to evolve must be that it is a partner Eevee, although I imagine because this is the anime they will come up with their own classification for it, but it is essentially the same.

Or for a hotter take, this Eevee is like Red's from Adventures and the scientists have performed horrible experiments on it, giving it unique powers and the ability to evolve into any Eeveelution at will.

Curious that this Eevee seems to have escaped from an evolution research facility. There has been speculation that Eevee's "mysterious" status was a result of it's Gigantamax trait, which I jokingly replied that Eevee would need to swim through a pile of evolutionary stones (and fail to evolve) in order for that to be brought up in a Kanto episode. However, the reason this Eevee is at such a facility is probably because scientists have already tried and failed to force it to evolve, and now they're researching to try and find out why it didn't. So the question is, is it a Gigamax Eeevee, a partner Eevee, or both?

I believe it is both. It's safe to say that this Eevee DOES have the Gigantamax trait, but given how common and unremarkable Gigantamax has been portrayed as in this series, I don't think that it is what makes Eevee mysterious OR the reason that it can't evolve. If Eevee can't evolve because it can Gigamax, then that means Pikachu is also incapable of evolving, and it's safe to say that the writers want to steer clear of acknowledging that considering how often they like to force that "will they/won't they" schtick, even as recently as 13 episodes ago. Because of that, the reason for this Eevee not being able to evolve must be that it is a partner Eevee, although I imagine because this is the anime they will come up with their own classification for it, but it is essentially the same.

Or for a hotter take, this Eevee is like Red's from Adventures and the scientists have performed horrible experiments on it, giving it unique powers and the ability to evolve into any Eeveelution at will.
I think you might be partially correct that this Eevee cannot evolve, but I don’t think they’ll link it to Gigantamax factor or Partner Eevee. Those abilities will exist independently and "not being able to evolve = Gigantamax" isn’t a connection the anime would make in my opinion.

I just hope that if it is a partner Eevee then they'll have Chloe question why somebody would think, "Baddy Bad," was in any way a good name for an attack.

I think you might be partially correct that this Eevee cannot evolve, but I don’t think they’ll link it to Gigantamax factor or Partner Eevee. Those abilities will exist independently and "not being able to evolve = Gigantamax" isn’t a connection the anime would make in my opinion.
Yeah, I don’t think the anime will handle the G-Max factor the same. After all, we know that Ash’s Pikachu could evolve if it really wanted too and it has the factor.

"not being able to evolve = Gigantamax" isn’t a connection the anime would make in my opinion.
That's what I said, and that's why I thought they would instead try to connect it with being a partner Eevee. But it's true, even if they make that connection it probably won't be like "A because of B", I imagine it being like, "Eevee can't evolve AND it can use special moves, how mysterious".

Last edited:
Another candidate for the "mystery”: this Eevee cannot evolve, but it adapts by learning the partner moves. Since Yamper is involved and Eevee had that yellow aura, maybe Eevee learns how to use electric moves from it (Buzzy buzz), or it learns the move after Yamper accidentally hits it with an electric move.

Another candidate for the "mystery”: this Eevee cannot evolve, but it adapts by learning the partner moves. Since Yamper is involved and Eevee had that yellow aura, maybe Eevee learns how to use electric moves from it (Buzzy buzz), or it learns the move after Yamper accidentally hits it with an electric move.
That's essentially what I was trying to get at. That's an organic way of introducing the partner Eevee mechanic, rather then the scientists just saying "This is a partner Eevee", which would be too videogamey.

This is a partner Eevee", which would be too videogamey.
Yeah, I never expect to hear the term "Partner Eevee" in the anime... I guess none of the scientists actually tried to hit Eevee with a move (for ethical reasons), they just tested evolution, that’s why the mystery is well... a mystery.

The Electricity Is Thunder Armour 2.0
I doubt it very much. Thunder Armor was probably supposed to be a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very stylized and loose representation of the Guts Ability. An Ability that Eevee can't even have access to unless it stops being an Eevee altogether and evolves into Flareon. I'm personally skeptical that the Electricity is supposed to represent Buzzy Buzz, but even I think that's a far more likely possibility than it being a reference to one of the anime's most reviled Deus Ex Machinas. Chances are the electricity effect in the poster is literally just there to look cool and pretty rather than it literally representing Eevee's attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom