• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN049: Koharu and the Mysterious, Mysterious Eievui!

This is probably the first episode I've ever been happy to see a pitfall trap - just because of how rare they've become made it totally unexpected unlike the overusage in the early seasons.

My main problem with this episode - why wasn't it like episode 4 or 5 or something? It's not like they've used that time to really give a strong amount of character development to Koharu. The next episode being promoted also features Koharu - should I get my hopes up that she's finally being promoted to being a third lead rather than just an over promoted recurring character?

The fact it's taken this long gives me some hope maybe this is a conscious direction change rather than what they planned originally - and that in turn could mean fairly quickly turning around her status, but I probably expect she'll fade back to being a minor character again. I've not checked out all the episode title/preview threads, so maybe we already know?

But if there's one consistency in the series so far is that every single opportunity the show has to set up a strong backstory it fails to deliver on - hell the characterisation change that we had with Goh's Cinderace turning from eager rebel to mother figure since evolving that was clear in this episode - I have no hope that Eevee, already on the backfoot for being with an underutilised character, will get good treatment in how they go about developing this plot going forwards.

So as a one off episode - it's enjoyable - but this series constantly sets up good opportunities with Pokemon backstories and just drops the ball, so I don't want to get too excited.

And damn is that into talking about Ash in the Pokemon World Championships getting stale now - couldn't we have had a battle or some training as part of the Ash-filler while Gou/Koharu went to school? Yamper could have been watching to still set up the running away plot.

Some people think Goh owns Eevee because Chloe used his Pokeball. I think the idea is that whoever throws the ball owns the Pokemon.

Okay, but the last time either one of them got a solo episode, it was back to back (Bea and Zapdos). Ash did more in Go's episode than vice-versa.
You can’t use your arbitrary random episodes to show that they’re getting equal focus. I outlined exactly how Gou gets more focus than Ash in the last 9 episodes. Then the goalposts suddenly changed to "They had focus together in their last solo episodes." Never mind the fact that Gou had an entire string of episodes where Ash was little more than a background character.

And that’s not even bringing up @Panky..'s focus breakdown.

And that’s not even bringing up @Panky..'s focus breakdown.
Yup.

The eating contest? I didn't watch that one, but Go has a gluttonous Pokemon and Ash doesn't outside of reserves. I don't think that was the episode's problem.

Okay, but the last time either one of them got a solo episode, it was back to back (Bea and Zapdos). Ash did more in Go's episode than vice-versa.
Why quote random examples in between? Here's how it looks overall.
942d948cf497b9603192314f89a3d829.png
dd256e4a8275f5d877102cfe07b37ff5.png
It wouldn't be a problem if he was actually developed as a new character should be. Instead, they jumped the gun to make him the 'perfect guy' right away and most of the episodes/segments he's been focused in have been mediocre filler/disconnected episodes (even worse if that focus came at the expense of another character, see Ash's shafting in the Zapdos episode or the rushed battle against Korrina or the Pikachu backstory).

Last edited:
It was typically a Chloe kind of episode I loved all the Chloe episode since it was more realistic in nature and was heart warming.
Waiting to see Chloe on Action

By that same logic Pikachu is technically a Pokémon of Professor Oak since he was the one who catch it.

By the way. During the last two episodes I felt that Goh is a more enjoyable character than Ash.

• +++ Easily the best part of this episode (obviously, given who and what it was about) was the dynamic between Koharu and her Eevee and the characterization, similarities, differences etc. of either. Right off the bat, they bring up Koharu mentioning the old "I don't want a Pokemon because people expect me to have one because of my father" and it's a stark contrast to how she captures Eevee at the end because both of them wanted to. They never outright mentioned that Eevee can't evolve more so that she's unsure even if eager to try (plus, they only tried stone evolutions, how can they claim the happiness/friendship related evolutions don't work when it's obvious that it requires a genuine friendship bond which a bunch of researchers couldn't provide?), and pretty much copies everything from other Pokemon she sees, be it her evolutions or Yamper. I feel like this might be a major plot point about Eevee's character arc, that she finds her own calling instead of resorting to copy things around her, which pretty much mirrors Koharu's own potential future. This 'forge your own path aspect' is why I believe that there may be an upcoming new Eeveelution (whether Gen4 remakes or Gen9), since I can't see how a partner Pokemon or G-Max trait can factor into that particular character arc unless they somewhat copy Pikachu (and that would be hilariously ironic). Bonus props to Koharu getting her own smartphone Rotom (that thankfully doesn't have a screeching voice) and being present in the next episode's preview which is a good sign of things to come for her.
  • ++ Continuing for the third time in a row (minus the premature exit in JN047), TRio's appearance was comically entertaining and didn't detract from the episode in any way, including the completely unexpected return of the pitfall traps as well as factoring Jessie's own passion for being an actress (last mentioned in JN019). In a surprise turn of events, the Gacha failed and when asked, the Pelipper actually took responsibility in battling on behalf of TRio. Although it's no Cramorant, it can fill in a similar role, here's hoping that the vending machine is slowly phased out and TRio get their own Pokemon. The battle itself was somewhat meh, with the same Spark knockout that we've seen twice before, though it was cool to see Yamper and Eevee connect in that brief moment.

• - - Sobble's scenes were pretty much pointless, wasted screentime and served to add nothing to the episode or the character, being relegated to being nothing more than a shoulder warmer with the usual crying 'gag'. If anything, it further degrades any potential justification for its upcoming rumored evolution and will make it even more unwarranted/undeserving. One thing that I did like about the segment was Cinderace emerging from its Pokeball in a confident posture which soon turns into a baffled-crying expression at being forced to babysit Sobble.

• ~ Imagine being allowed to skip classes and attend them at your own whim without repercussions as long as you are up to the mark. If only the "education system" in real life was that lenient and prioritized on children's individual talents and creativity rather than mandatory attendance and grades.

8.5/10: An excellent episode to end the year on after how underwhelming most of it was, and Aya Matsui delivers again. Despite having a generic/cliche structure, the content within the episode had quite a lot of depth that adds to Koharu's and Eevee's characters.

I can't help but wonder if they were making fun of that here.
Koharu is pretty much every one of us who's sick of that stuff.

Last edited:
Sobble's crying gimmick really makes me happy it didnt go to Ash. At least he doesn't have to deal with it

Some people think Goh owns Eevee because Chloe used his Pokeball. I think the idea is that whoever throws the ball owns the Pokemon.

The problem is Brock and Tauros. Brock threw the Safari Ball, but Ash bought them - Ergo, the ball is Ash's and as such, so is the Tauros.

James owns the Luxury Ball. Jessie Stole it (She stole it, James didn't give it to her, ergo, still James's Pokeball), meaning James owns Mimikyu.

However, here, Goh gave Koharu the Pokeball, which means ownership shifted. Koharu owns Eevee.

I think thats the most important thing, else starters are never owned by characters who go on their journey, since they don't catch the starter. However, they are given the Pokeballs and the starter.

The problem is Brock and Tauros. Brock threw the Safari Ball, but Ash bought them - Ergo, the ball is Ash's and as such, so is the Tauros.

James owns the Luxury Ball. Jessie Stole it (She stole it, James didn't give it to her, ergo, still James's Pokeball), meaning James owns Mimikyu.

However, here, Goh gave Koharu the Pokeball, which means ownership shifted. Koharu owns Eevee.

I think thats the most important thing, else starters are never owned by characters who go on their journey, since they don't catch the starter. However, they are given the Pokeballs and the starter.
Ash gave his pokeball to that girl in second movie of power of us. Didn’t he.
You can give away a pokeball and proof was Evveee belong to her was Pokédex.

I think what started as a joke has turned turned into very overthought discussion. :confused:

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom