• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN050: Galar Fossils! Stick 'Em Together!!

Huh, Dracovish was GOOD?
Early on, this is one of the first times I've seen(though it isn't a big thing to this point) where people like a game design over the anime one, but, I did like Dracovish in this episode.

I have a feeling Ash isn't saying this about being chased, but about the art of this one shot.
1610140128741.png

That said, nice episode to start off 2021.

Solid kick off to 2021, really liked Koharu/Eevee and Ash/Dracovish, wish we got some of that with Gou, Arctozolt, but not bad. Also really liked the we alongside the characters got to witness the creation of those two Pokemon.

Well, to be honest, I'm finding it hard to make up my mind what to think of this episode: On the one hand, it was a solid plot, on the other hand, it was also the introduction of two Pokemon with horrible design.
So, let me pick out a few aspects.

Positive:
- I liked the plot revolving around fossils. Ancient Pokemon are great per se and so far, digging for fossils has (almost) always made for a good plot.
- Those two researches were quite entertaining. Especially their opposing character traits were nicely done.
- Finally, Chloe decided to go on an adventure with the boys. It sure was about time she's starting to explore the Pokemon world. (What a mean teacher she must have, though! Having to write a report to make up for the missed lessons? Come on, can't that girl just have some fun without annoying, unnecessary paper work?)

Negative:
- As I mentioned at the beginning, Arctozolt, Dracovish, Dracozolt and Arctovish must have got the most horrible design the producers have ever come up with. Sure, I'm aware of the fact they wanted to be extra creative and mixed up the Pokemon's upper and lower body in order to create totally new Pokemon. But while the "base versions" (Dracozolt and Arctovish) already look bad, Arctozolt and Dracovish look even worse. If they wanted to introduce some new, creative element, they should t least have created a Pokemon whose proportions don't look that ridiculous!
- It was obvious the researches got the fossil boxes mixed up which resulted in the creation of the "mixed-up" Pokemon forms. Yes, I got the idea behind that. Still, I think it was done very poorly! If you're not sure which box belongs to which Pokemon, why in the world can't you just open the boxes and check a second time?? So again, while the idea behind it showed some creativity on the writers' side, the way they put it into practice was very poor, to put it mildly.
- I realized a logical mistake: One researcher said the area used to be a seabed, while the other one thought it used to be grassland. Maybe that's true and it was covered by water at first and later turned into grassland, but in that case the Pokemon's bones should have been buried on two different levels and not next to each other. (Arctovish on a lower level and Dracozolt on a higher level).
- But now for the point that worries me most: I'm not really sure if I want Ash to have such an ugly Pokemon... He could have been given so many others, why did it have to be Dracovish of all Pokemon?
Maybe, it'll prove me wrong some day and will turn out to be a tough fighter but until that, I'll rather remain sceptical.

Just like the mixed-up Pokemon forms, I have mixed feeling when it comes to this episode. But hey, there will finally be new Pokemon episodes after the Christmas break, which is a good thing to end my review with.

Last edited:
- As I mentioned at the beginning, Arctozolt, Dracovish, Dracozolt and Arctovish must have got the most horrible design the producers have ever come up with. Sure, I'm aware of the fact they wanted to be extra creative and mixed up the Pokemon's upper and lower body in order to create totally new Pokemon. But while the "base versions" (Dracozolt and Arctovish) already look bad, Arctozolt and Dracovish look even worse. If they wanted to introduce some new, creative element, they should t least have created a Pokemon whose proportions don't look that ridiculous!
- I realized a logical mistake: One researcher said the area used to be a seabed, while the other one thought it used to be grassland. Maybe that's true and it was covered by water at first and later turned into grassland, but in that case the Pokemon's bones should have been buried on two different levels and not next to each other. (Arctovish on a lower level and Dracozolt on a higher level).
The thing is, these things are based on real-life events. When dinosaur bones first became known, paleontologists would attach bones to each other in ridiculous ways and claim it was a new species, just so they could say they've found more dinosaurs than their competitors, not caring how scientific realism got stomped flat as they did their "work".

The environment things are also the same thing: the paleontologists would come up with explanations for why their "findings" looked like they did, not actually making research to conclusively prove this was the case.

The same goes with the scientists in this episode: they don't actually know anything about these Pokémon they're reviving or their habitats and just throw out wild, unproven theories to explain how their mishmash creations supposedly lived. So in short, these fossils are just adapting a real-life era of fossil debacle. If you want to know more, search for "Bone Wars" on the internet.

Well, I did Ash want to have a water type in his party for a while now (last one was Grenindja, obtained as a Froakie, of I'm not mistaken).

I don't mind Ash having a strang looking Pokémon, it can work.

Also, I do think Ash will use more Pokémon than his current 6 (7 if we count Mimey). Since he keeps his current Pokémon in or around the Dome were his home also is, a rotation system can work out. Better than back in Best Wishes. And we can see them in the Dome.

However, with the lack of screentime for some of his current party Pokémon like Farfetch'd, Gengar and in a lesser extend Dragonite... Good thing it seems Farfetch'd will have an episode about him next week. Maybe now give the former mentioned 3 Pokémon plus Dracovish some more screentime before introducing the next one (or maybe an old one ;) )

I do feel anoyed about Gou catching Pokémon Ash owns (or are in the same evolution line). There are almost 900 Pokémon, Go can surely catch some other ones. Like why not a Galar one today instead of Boldore?

Still... It would still be cool if for example Gou's Grimer has trouble work something and Ash brings in his Muk to help it out. I would feel like that episode in the Orange Islands when a big Bulbasaur took people and Pokémon in the sewers and Ash suprised us, the audience with calling out Muk. Or even his debute in the Indigo League. (Now I think about it, Ash did suprise us with Muk multiple times in the series.) Or the same thing with Gou's Krabby and Ash's Kingler. Or if they visit Oak's lab in an episode.

Not gonna lie the new opening, next episode preview and new capture kinda overshadowed the rest of the episode for me. Still it was a good one, especially with subs now.

My favourite parts + random thoughts I had throughout
- Man Dracovish is great. It has such a meme status in the games, and I actually like the creative premise behind it (and the galar fossils in general). For such a frankenstein looking pokemon, it was surprisingly cute and entertaining. Just like with Galar Farfetch'd, seeing these two animated has made a world of difference to me. The games can only do so much with expressing their personality and unique characteristics. Lmao I was not expecting that cry though.
- As always, the Ash+Goh+Chloe dynamic is really good
- I loved the shade they threw on both scientists and how they 180'd on their hypotheses. They were just great CotDs altogether.
- Cara Liss getting called careless multiple times
- That fossil guy is really a recurring character now huh? Or is he like the next nurse joy or something?
- Did not see that Boldore capture coming
- The art looked very dodgy at some points, like shown earlier

Overall I'll give it a 7.5/10, good stuff. Journeys has gotten a lot better recently and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Also what's with these cursed images nowadays
1610162757016.png

1610162740643.png

Kind of a weak episode if I'm honest, but it did a decent job at introducing A.) Ash and Gou's new fossil Pokemon, and B.) Koharu being a research fellow. The archeologists' personalities were pretty fun as well.

pm.jpg

Also what's with these cursed images nowadays
Screenshot (19).png

Well, I definitely didn't see this catch coming. Dracovish is already quite notorious in the competitive battling scene so I'll be bloody livid if this one gets shunted like his Gengar and Galarfetch'd (though we'll have to see what the latter does next week).

Okay now I watched the subs I have a better understanding of the episodes so let's... REWIEW!!!
:bulbaWave:Good Stuff
+ Goh caught Pokémon by... BATTLING???
+ Dracovish was cute (Huh never thought I would find Dracovish cute)
+ The episode was fun
+ ASH CAUGHT DRACOVISH!!!
+ Suprisingly good Chloe development?
+ Liked how the resarchers were dumb.
+ No Team Rocket trying to steal the fossils!
:bulbaFacepalm:Bad Stuff
- Ash caught Dracovish...
- Wish we got to see more of the fossils...
- The mid was boring.
Suprisingly good! 7/10

I’ll need subs for the dialogue, but this was a great episode! There was a lot of Koharu focus, both of Goh’s captures were earned, the humor felt on point. Eevee continues to be adorable.
Wouldn't describe his capture of Boldore as earned, Boldore is by nature a very tough Pokemon and he powered himself up with Harden, and yet he was instantenously knocked out by a single move from Cinderace...

I agree about the humour being good (it really was) and Eevee being adorable, though, I love Eevee so much... :bulbaLove:

Wouldn't describe his capture of Boldore as earned, Boldore is by nature a very tough Pokemon and he powered himself up with Harden, and yet he was instantenously knocked out by a single move from Cinderace...

I agree about the humour being good (it really was) and Eevee being adorable, though, I love Eevee so much... :bulbaLove:

Yeah, and the move was Quick Attack, which makes it even worse.

Yeah, and the move was Quick Attack, which makes it even worse.
... Yeah, I was just gonna edit that in. Quick Attack is a normall type move, and Boldore is resistant to that.

This anime just can't seem to decide if it wants type advantages to matter at all, like, you have Zapdos dealing no damage to Ground types in ep 40, Riolu doing no damage to Golurk in 23 and then you have this and ep 45.

Just make up your goddamn mind, anime...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom