• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN050: Galar Fossils! Stick 'Em Together!!

The thing is, these things are based on real-life events. When dinosaur bones first became known, paleontologists would attach bones to each other in ridiculous ways and claim it was a new species, just so they could say they've found more dinosaurs than their competitors, not caring how scientific realism got stomped flat as they did their "work".

The environment things are also the same thing: the paleontologists would come up with explanations for why their "findings" looked like they did, not actually making research to conclusively prove this was the case.

The same goes with the scientists in this episode: they don't actually know anything about these Pokémon they're reviving or their habitats and just throw out wild, unproven theories to explain how their mishmash creations supposedly lived. So in short, these fossils are just adapting a real-life era of fossil debacle. If you want to know more, search for "Bone Wars" on the internet.
What you're saying makes sense, still I kind of doubt the writers do that much research before writing a new episode. Only adults with the necessary background knowledge would probably get that context.

Granted that they really wanted to allude to "Bone Wars" among palenontologists, it would have been more consequent if Pokemon like Dracovish or Arctozolt just couldn't be revived because their parts don't belong together. So, instead of creating such frankenstein-looking Pokemon, I would have preferred if they had just admitted they just couldn't revive those Pokemon.

What you're saying makes sense, still I kind of doubt the writers do that much research before writing a new episode. Only adults with the necessary background knowledge would probably get that context.

Granted that they really wanted to allude to "Bone Wars" among palenontologists, it would have been more consequent if Pokemon like Dracovish or Arctozolt just couldn't be revived because their parts don't belong together. So, instead of creating such frankenstein-looking Pokemon, I would have preferred if they had just admitted they just couldn't revive those Pokemon.
One thing I never got about the Galar fossils is, why is an entire skeleton suddenly needed in the first place? Every past fossil has involved us using a small piece of the Pokémon to revive it. If in a future gen we aren’t allowed to restore the real Pokémon that come from the Galar fossils, it’ll be such a missed opportunity, especially since the mix-and-match fossil Pokémon basically tell us there’s Pokémon we may never see.

One thing I never got about the Galar fossils is, why is an entire skeleton suddenly needed in the first place? Every past fossil has involved us using a small piece of the Pokémon to revive it. If in a future gen we aren’t allowed to restore the real Pokémon that come from the Galar fossils, it’ll be such a missed opportunity, especially since the mix-and-match fossil Pokémon basically tell us there’s Pokémon we may never see.
It was done to reference the fossil war I mentioned earlier. I don't question it beyond that.

Just realized something. The fact Ash caught another Dragon-type could mean there's the possibility that Dragonite (alongside Gengar) will be neglected even more from now on. :sneaky:
I mean, isn't it a shame? Gengar and Dragonite are one of the most iconic and popular Gen1-Pokemon and look how they've been treated since they joined Ash's team. They deserve so much better! (I just hope I won't be right)

Last edited:
Just realized something. The fact Ash caught another Dragon-type could mean there's the possibility that Dragonite (alongside Gengar) will be neglected even more from now on. :sneaky:
I mean, isn't it a shame? Gengar and Dragonite are one of the most iconic and popular Gen1-Pokemon and look how they've been treated since they joined Ash's team. They deserve so much better! (I just hope I won't be right)
Dracovish is also a Water type primarily so there really isn't much type overlap. Though the more dragons for Ash the better

Koharu handled her cream being snatched a lot better than I would; I would have had Eevee Tackle his behind.

Ash getting Dracovish was something I did not anticipate; I surely thought that sixth slot would be for the very sorely missed Grookey. Not to say he cannot rotate his party... But I don't know; Journeys has done a poor job characterizing Ash's team, something even Unova did better with more Pokémon by this point (and that is saying something). Of course this could all change, but at this juncture I feel like Dracovish, especially if even more Pokémon are caught, will be quite static and underused.

Also, the episode apparently indicates that Dracovish and Arctozolt are both new creations and discoveries... you would think there would be more fanfare with that fact, since Ash and Go are the first Trainers to own any of their kind. But, I digress; hopefully they have a better presence throughout the saga than Palpitoad and Stunfisk (our previous dual-captured friends) did.

So Ash and Goh completely new species that are hybrids but they weren't real pokemon
so how the pokdex gets them so easily info?

I like the episode. Nothing special but it had a laid back feel. I love how Chloe went with the two because of her Eevee.

I enjoyed the episode and I love Uonoragon.

Here's what I hate: Koharu being a damsel in distress on three separate occasions in this episode. Please, no more.
I mean it sort of makes sense considering she's not really a battler and thus not quick to react to stuff coming down right at her, buuuttt,,, yeahh,,, boy o boy did that one rubbed me wrong and left an AWFUL taste in my mouth.

So, based on the opening I'll say all of Ash's mons will start to have more screen time. Gengar will definitely turn into a powerhouse and farfetch'd will have a rivalry/teaching with the upcoming elite 4 member.
The boldore capture, in my opinion, was not earned. Saying this, I rather have a quick attack on a rock pokémon that used harden, than just a throw and a capture. People are saying this cuts the chances of Ash's boldore appearing, I disagree. This seems perfect to do an episode where they just learn about trade evolutions and decide to trade boldores so they can evolve, giving in the same episode a return and an evolution of an old mon. Also, giving a very cool one to Ash in the likes of Gigalith.
I did not like the jokes about the paleontologists because they were overly repetitive, however, the episode showed great Koharu's development. I hated that eevee for being the 98937297 on the spotlight, but this one is contributing to the plot!
Nice start to 2021 and hope the episode about the 3 dogs gives Ash a chance to meet Ho-Oh

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom