• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN051: Kamonegi's Great Trials!

Got a subless version going, let's see what I find

• Oh my wor....there is a giant still image early in the episode that looks like it was meant to be a montage of offstage battles!!!!?????? Oh come on! Are you having budgeting problems Pokemon anime?! Did someone cut your funding?! Did COVID 19 cost you some serious episode space so you had to make at least two utter filler double pack episodes and Ash lost out on some fights?!
  • Most of those mons are also kind of...underwhelming.....got to be honest.
  • Yeah where is Ash's adorable abomination? Maybe it hasn't had that 'battle awakening' that sometimes happened in SM?
  • I can appreciate Ash still retaining the whole 'if the mon wants to come or expresses interest I'll take him along'. It leaves me hope, and window for fanfics, that he can have a phone call and we can see Unfeazant's glorious return! I say that as someone who actually doesn't hate Unfeazant.
  • Any subs going to explain Farfetch'd attitude? He appeared in the montage (!!!!?!?!?!?!?!) so it implies he had some WCS battles offscreen. Him and Gengar (.....writers I don't actually hate the 30 second battles. Just have Ash do them while Goh is capturing Geodudes)
  • Just a Geodude Goh? Don't you need to get a Zubat too? You have a lack of ambition in your ambition sometimes Goh.
  • When Goh caught Geodude why did Super Mario Sunshine music play?
  • Is Gurdurr guy related to Bianca, because I swear he was doing that muscle thing she did.....
  • Did Farfetch'd vaporize stone!?
  • I have no problem with the long battle. Can't say Farfetch'd didn't need a win like it can we?
  • I like the feeling that Farfetch'd respected Gurdurr after all that battling. Plus the thing with the 'I'll give you my Pickaxe while we fix your steel beam' was sweet
  • Gallade guy gets a music intro. He's coming back...
  • Does Gallade-guy mean Ash gets more or less of a chance of a Ralts/Gardevoir.
  • Gallade-Guy (Rinto) could be an additional rival. I'd be up for that, especially if he can be to Farfetch'd what Bea is to Lucario.
  • Ash and his leak thing.....well at least he's trying. Whatever is up with Farfetch'd locked behind Japanese non-subbed at least Ash is still Ash. And hey, at least its not a wiggling butt.

A bit disappointed that Ash has once again gone up in rank with little or no battles scene

I would have loved to have seen more of these battles, JN048 was pretty much skippable

Whew, this one was good! I don’t have subs, but let’s see what we got.

-Ash trouncing half of the PWC offscreen... really, writers? Really?

-Finally, finally, we get to see Ash’s team training together and interacting in any given way. Dracovish was nowhere to be seen, but given its partial water dependency I’ll forgive it.

-Farfetch’d’s entrance into the episode really gives off that “step aside bitches, now’s my turn to shine” vibe

-the Goh segment was brief and concise. Phew.

-I was expecting Gurdurr to kick Fetch’d aside, but that battle was shockingly good and balanced. I legit couldn’t predict a winner until the end and I’m glad duckling got a victory.

-so it was Fury Cutter, not Leaf Blade. Meh. At least Focus Energy fits the critical hit aspect. Also, Brutal Swing looking much more balanced.

-wow, that ending really sets this up for further development, and I love it. Good ol’ Farfetch’d deserves it after so long.

A great episode, and one that was desperately needed. After 24 episodes, Farfetch'd finally gets a win, and some very exciting development. One of the best battles we've seen in a while, that thankfully didn't end in a stupid evolution DEM like Lucario. Maybe it was a touch too long; while animation was great, we did start seeing a lot of repeating shots toward the end, but Farfetch'd focus is so hype that I don't really mind.

It seems like we were right about Farfetch'd developing a grudge against Ash, he never lashed out at him like this before. He's probably bitter over his own lack of focus, and ashamed of his own past failures. All in all, he's becoming a great shonen protagonist. One day, he will dethrone Lucario as Ash's ace for the series (I'm sure of it). The green kid at the end was really cool, I hope he becomes a long term rival rather than just existing for Farfetch'd development. An oppressive rival character is something this series is desperately lacking, and Bea doesn't appear often enough to fill that role.

How high Ash's rank!? Man, he'll be in the top 100 in no time at this rate. Maybe his battle with Gary will be what shoots him up to the Hyper Class. Others have expresses concern about Ash jumping up 500 points offscreen, and while I would have preferred to see that in small battles here and there, I'm not losing sleep over it. Personally, I've always seen the Normal and Super classes as fluff, we all know Ash should have swept his way up to the Hyper Class from the start. The only reason he's lingered so long in the lower rankings is because he was using the opportunity to train up his two unevolved mons, rather than plowing through with Gengar and Dragonite.

I agree. Having them be 2 minutes OHKOs every episode was turning them into just another checkbox on the formula, and that's never a good thing.
I'll still take that over the complete silence we've had since Bea. Gou still gets captures in almost every episode, so the fact that Ash doesn't get his own regular small victories anymore is just making him sink further into the background.

Last edited:
Actually a pretty good episode for Galarian Farfetch'd. G-Farfetch'd learned a new move and finally got a win. Also FINALLY Ash gets an on screen PWC win. I have a huge problem with him suddenly being rank 381. Like how did he get there? Why couldn't we actually see him ranking up afyer that huge losing streak? They've seriously had an inbalance in Ash and Goh focus.

I can’t really see how they’ll keep Ash in the Ultra Rank for almost 100 episodes when there’s only 92 people in it. I’m guessing he’ll beat Iris, get close to ranking up, and end up losing to Gary to set him back a bit.

Besides that, the episode was really good. My only other issue was that the Gurdurr battle dragged on a bit too long so the meeting between Ash and Rinto (I think that’s his name) and their battle was really short. Farfetch’d was fantastic.

I don’t think Farfetch’d is upset with Ash’s usage of him, considering he clearly uses him off-screen, I just think that all Farfetch’d cares about is training, everyone else is just a distraction from that goal.

I can’t really see how they’ll keep Ash in the Ultra Rank for almost 100 episodes when there’s only 92 people in it. I’m guessing he’ll beat Iris, get close to ranking up, and end up losing to Gary to set him back a bit.
I really doubt Gary will be apart of the PWC, as the last time we saw him in D&P, he was a scientist/researcher. I mean, he wasn’t even participating in leagues anymore, so why would he change into battling again? Maybe he battles cause he wants to learn more, like Kukui, but I really don’t se it. Iris, maybe.

I can’t really see how they’ll keep Ash in the Ultra Rank for almost 100 episodes when there’s only 92 people in it.
I don't think there will be anymore offscreen winning streaks once Ash get's to Hyper Class. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think it will be all major battles from that point on. Galar Gym Leaders, past characters, Elite Four, etc.

Oh my wor....there is a giant still image early in the episode that looks like it was meant to be a montage of offstage battles!!!!?????? Oh come on! Are you having budgeting problems Pokemon anime?! Did someone cut your funding?!
They spent all the budget on animating 109 curated curve ball throws for Gou.

Alright, that was a great episode, and not just because of the content. The characters were great, the battle was good, and while I thought Rinto was a bit pious...particularly after seeing Farfetch'd coming off a hard hitting battle, I do like the idea, and how Ash interprets/plans on interpreting it at the end of the episode, but also how the writers seemed to acknowledge their mistakes in handling Farfetch'd to this point (particularly Farfetch'd being surprised he was asked to go somewhere was a nice touch). It also hightlighted general PWC handling mistakes, though I still can't believe people think Ash wouldn't be doing this stuff offscreen (even if it would be nice to see on screen). Hopefully the Diglett outbreak can be enjoyable.

Alright, that was a great episode, and not just because of the content. The characters were great, the battle was good, and while I thought Rinto was a bit pious...particularly after seeing Farfetch'd coming off a hard hitting battle, I do like the idea, and how Ash interprets/plans on interpreting it at the end of the episode, but also how the writers seemed to acknowledge their mistakes in handling Farfetch'd to this point (particularly Farfetch'd being surprised he was asked to go somewhere was a nice touch). It also hightlighted general PWC handling mistakes, though I still can't believe people think Ash wouldn't be doing this stuff offscreen (even if it would be nice to see on screen). Hopefully the Diglett outbreak can be enjoyable.

I have no problem with stuff being offscreen: I actually get into arguments with some fans of a certain fic about 'Chloe not doing a lot of with Goh on screen doesn't mean there's a problem, so she doesn't need to slam hot curry into his face and resent Ash for existing' over it.

...It's just there is a difference between friendship and social stuff versus battles, especially a few hundred ranks of Super Rank.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom