• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN052: Agricultural Experience! Where is Digda!?

And there's nothing inherently ugly or villainous about Drilbur or Sandslash. They were chosen because they're moles and/or good at digging. A lot of Gacha mons tend to have a themed related to the episode.

You guys are missing my point. What i was asking was if anyone just feels bad for the Gatcha Pokemon in general. That they're basically just attack dogs who exist purely to get beaten up and (Buneary and Mincinno being a very small exception) tend to be Pokemon that aren't generally considered cute or heroic looking, and therefore the writers feel are 'disposable' mons that they dont care if the little kids watching the show perceive them as 'bad or weak' because they're used by TR.

Little Timmy: Hey, wanna trade for my Sandslash?
Little Tommy: Ew, no! Thats a bad guy Pokemon! I want only Cinderace and Lucario.

I'm just saying i dont care for the gatcha system TR uses mainly because the Pokkemon are treated as disposable pawns. Again, Arbok and Weezing were okay because we at least got the impression J+J cared deeply abput them. For all we know these gatcha Pokemon might be getting tortured or killed for their failres by TR HQ.

It also unfortunatly depicts them 'evil' in the eyes of the viewers simply because theyre used by TR. I know you and I dont see them like that, which is why i feel bad for how this concept 'demonizes' otherwise good Pokemon.

A part of me hopes that Ash will scream "Ketchum!" in the dub when they show that catching fantasy. :p

dont care if the little kids watching the show perceive them as 'bad or weak' because they're used by TR.

Little Timmy: Hey, wanna trade for my Sandslash?
Little Tommy: Ew, no! Thats a bad guy Pokemon! I want only Cinderace and Lucario.
[...]
It also unfortunatly depicts them 'evil' in the eyes of the viewers simply because theyre used by TR. I know you and I dont see them like that, which is why i feel bad for how this concept 'demonizes' otherwise good Pokemon.
Eh, the games generally give the members of evil teams stereotypically evil Pokémon: Poison types, Dark types, Bug types, rat-like rodents (e.g. Raticate), Hypno, and so on; they usually don't give them cutesy or heroic-looking Pokémon like Eevee, Gallade, etc. I highly doubt that children are going to start seeing the Gacha Pokémon used by Team Rocket as inherently evil and not want to use them in-game considering the games themselves are arguably even more guilty of "demonizing" certain Pokémon by generally associating them with genuinely bad people and have a longer tradition of doing so--yet that hasn't turned children away from those Pokémon, at least to my knowledge. I for one never saw Zubat as an "evil Pokémon" despite it being commonplace on several evil teams.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that the Gacha is a bad idea, moreso with the specific point that it will lead to children viewing certain Pokémon as evil and thus dislike them.

Last edited:
Although it was a filler episode, it was neither bad nor boring. I'd rather call it a feel-good-episode with some good vibes. Also, it nicely showed what it is like to live in the countryside and TRio taking a nap in the field just reflected that. Also, I think it was a good thing for Ash, Go and Koharu to be able to have such an experience every once in a while.
Now, as there's not much more left to say about the episode, I'll just leave it at that and rather concentrate on a few quotes by other users:

What was the twerps problem with TRio exactely? 3 of them where laying in the sun and the 4th one was gardening... TRio could earn money if they would devellop mecha's for other purpuses like gardening.

And it's not like they needed this place for the Diglett to life, because it's clear at the end Goh's Dugtrio and the wild Diglett are going to help on the farm.
You've got a very good point here! Neither did TRio destroy anything nor did they cause any trouble (except for their music being a bit too annoying and loud) So, I can't see a good reason why our heroes needed to fight against them (at least this time). As you already pointed out it was such a vast land that the Diglett and Dugtrio still would have had plenty of space.

They're basically trained attack dogs who probably get beaten and tortured into obedience and the little kids watching the show are only going to perceive them all as pure evil. At least with Arbok, Weezing the and the other TR Pokemon they was just one or two of them.
At first, I was intrigued by that vending machine concept and the constant rotation of Pokemon. But now that those Pokemon have literally been degraded to mere "whipping boys" that hardly do anything in battle, I kind of doubt that concept. I'd prefer it if TRio were given their own Pokemon again as it used to be.

And there's nothing inherently ugly or villainous about Drilbur or Sandslash. They were chosen because they're moles and/or good at digging.
That's what makes me wonder why they turned out to be so utterly useless in battle this time. I mean you would expect them to show at least some of their digging skills, wouldn't you? But them being so helpless against Dugtrio kind of underlines what @DynoStretch was probably trying to say about them being "attack dogs" in the quote above

Ok I watched the subs, lets REWIEW!, you know the drill.
:bulbaWave: Good Stuff
+
Koharu development.
+ Goh giving away his Pokemon? Good development for Suicune in JN053
+ The gang in action.
+ Actually enjoyable!
+ Better than I thought
+ Cinderace finally found carrots!
:bulbaFacepalm:Bad Stuff
- Team Rocket was wasted. (WHAT ELSE IS NEW?)
- There were some boring parts
- Filler
- SaToShI gEtTo Da Ze????
A solid episode! 6/10!

Ok I watched the subs, lets REWIEW!, you know the drill.
:bulbaWave: Good Stuff
+
Koharu development.
+ Goh giving away his Pokemon? Good development for Suicune in JN053
+ The gang in action.
+ Actually enjoyable!
+ Better than I thought
+ Cinderace finally found carrots!
No offense mate,but I can't see what you're writing there. Anyways,my opinion:
The best part of the episode was probably Chloe development. You can tell by the end of the episode that she's just a few steps away from being the third companion,if she isn't already. Goh giving up his Dugtrio is also kinda nice,as it really shows that he is willing to step back on his goal if it means helping others. These two points imo carried the episode for me,as honestly,the rest of the stuff was kinda OK.
Time for the bad stuff. The Diglett gardening stuff was a bit harrowing to get through,but at least it only happened for like 1/3 of the episode. As always,Tea Ricket basically ruins the episode,as they were just placed in a Deus Ex Machina location to get them to run into Ash and the gang,and even worse,the underground battle isn't even that exciting as it all occurs underground and TR gets defeated in five seconds,so it was just a waste of time.
Overall,the episode was rather meh,to me. 6/10. I'll be honest,I was expecting it to be much worse.

I went into this one with fairly low expectations but that was surprisingly good. I think it's safe to say that episodes featuring the Ash, Goh and Chloe dynamic are gonna be entertaining. It's also nice seeing some world building with Endo being Professor Cerise's former student, and how Chloe knew him when she was younger. I liked Goh's moment at the end too. Seeing him actually give away one of his pokemon because it'll help someone else more and it can stay with its group was great of him. He actually cared about the area around him realised he didn't even need a Dugtrio since he'd already had Diglett (he already had Dugtrio's pokedex data too). The humour landed for me, especially that 'Goh catches Ash' joke. TR had their typical appearance but it's nice seeing their mechas again, and their gatcha battle wasn't even that bad (as Goh used Dugtrio too).

Good filler episode overall, considering the premise wasn't initially that exciting to me. I'll give it a 7.5/10.

Does this seem white?
Here’s what it looks like on my end. “Good stuff” is in green.
CB409AA3-49F8-4F35-AB6A-22EC3626B18E.jpeg

I’m using the Distortion World skin in this screenshot.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom