• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is completely ridiculous of how previews of clickbait episodes like this one manage to surpass 25+ Pages of Discussion while actual important PWC Episodes just get glossed over. At the end, absolutely nothing is going to happen in this actual episode other than more clickbait.

The whole issue is how promotion is being handled.
Maybe tease wasn't the right word, they're just provoking the fans.
I highly doubt that they didn't know what reactions that preview would cause.

Yeah, there are some banned Pokemon there. Roadblocks for Gou?
Seems like the ban on Yungerer have been lifted, will it be reintroduced in the foreseeable future?

The whole issue is how promotion is being handled.
Maybe tease wasn't the right word, they're just provoking the fans.
I highly doubt that they didn't know what reactions that preview would cause.

Yeah, there are some banned Pokemon there. Roadblocks for Gou?
Seems like the ban on Yungerer have been lifted, will it be reintroduced in the foreseeable future?
Goh is not going to catch every single Pokemon.

Goh is not going to catch every single Pokemon.
I'm grateful for that.
But I won't like him getting Yungerer, it's one of my favourites.
I skipped last episode, no regrets. I'm doubting on this one.....
Thanks to the preview with spoiler/bait.

The problem is that him catching a legendary so early, makes him catching regular mons pointless, since he can go straight for legendaries.
It was never stated that he would only go for Legendaries once he’s caught all other Pokémon, just Mew in particular. Plus he isn’t exactly going after them, he just happens to encounter them every once in a while.

Regardless of the circumstances, I really hope Goh doesn't get to keep Suicune.

Goh being able to successfully catch and keep a legendary within this point of his career would be like Ash managing to defeat an Elite Four member in battle while he was still a greenhorn in Kanto.

Goh is already being accused of becoming a 'creator's pet' at this point, this episode isn't going to help matters.

It's more like Ash defeating one of an elite 4 members pokemon as a noob in Kanto when that elite 4 members pokemon is at low HP and is restrained. The circumstances are contrived, but it makes sense within those circumstances.

There is also a chance that the whole PV is bait and he doesn't catch Suicune at all.

It was never stated that he would only go for Legendaries once he’s caught all other Pokémon, just Mew in particular. Plus he isn’t exactly going after them, he just happens to encounter them every once in a while.

While 'work his way up to Mew' is the show tag line, we know from the Mewtwo episode that he would try to catch Mew immediately if given a lead. I also don't think he would stop catching pokemon simply because he caught Mew. He caught the Kanto bugs before coming making the excuse that he was building his way up to Mew.

It is completely ridiculous of how previews of clickbait episodes like this one manage to surpass 25+ Pages of Discussion while actual important PWC Episodes just get glossed over. At the end, absolutely nothing is going to happen in this actual episode other than more clickbait.

To be fair, unless Ash is battling a Gym Leader, I don't think that most of the PWC matches have gotten much focus. I can understand the frustration. A clickbait preview gaining so much attention over the PWC is still upsetting if you find the PWC more interesting. I'd understand this issue more if they weren't above having Ash win PWC off screen or make the bulk of his battles thus far against random one-shot characters.

To be fair, unless Ash is battling a Gym Leader, I don't think that most of the PWC matches have gotten much focus. I can understand the frustration. A clickbait preview gaining so much attention over the PWC is still upsetting if you find the PWC more interesting. I'd understand this issue more if they weren't above having Ash win PWC off screen or make the bulk of his battles thus far against random one-shot characters.
The Problem is not with the fandom, the problem is with the show

The Problem is not with the fandom, the problem is with the show

I'm not sure how I implied that the problem was with the fandom when I was focused mainly on how the show handles the PWC. I do think fans over hype the PWC a lot, but that's beside the point. If the anime is perfectly willing to let Ash win matches off screen to make up for a losing streak, then that's a big problem with how the show handles Ash's current goal. I'm just saying that the issue of this clickbait episode getting more attention than PWC episodes would be more understandable if more of Ash's matches were actually important as opposed to mainly being footnotes in other episodes.

His goal is to catch every Pokemon, not necessarily have all of them at his disposal.
Which honestly raises the question of why the writers had him catch the entire evolution line of multiple Pokémon rather than either having him just evolve the Pokémon or release the superfluous lower stages.

Which honestly raises the question of why the writers had him catch the entire evolution line of multiple Pokémon rather than either having him just evolve the Pokémon or release the superfluous lower stages.
I’m assuming that he’s impatient and doesn’t want to waste time training every last one of them, and at the same time, realises that evolution is kind of random. I mean, Ash has incredibly strong Pokemon that just...don’t evolve - Bulbasuar, Squirtle, Buziel, etc.

In terms of the actual show, it’s probably better for Goh to just capture them back-to-back rather than waste more time giving each dedicated time to evolve.

Still, the format is stupid, I know.

I’m assuming that he’s impatient and doesn’t want to waste time training every last one of them, and at the same time, realises that evolution is kind of random. I mean, Ash has incredibly strong Pokemon that just...don’t evolve - Bulbasuar, Squirtle, Buziel, etc.

In terms of the actual show, it’s probably better for Goh to just capture them back-to-back rather than waste more time giving each dedicated time to evolve.

Still, the format is stupid, I know.
I mean that kinda makes Go as a character from a meta standpoint feel a bit corporate and soulless when you think about it, valuing completing his Pokédex quickly over actually raising his Pokémon so that they can grow. And really, let’s face it, Go catching every stage of an evolution line is just plain boring to watch.

I mean that kinda makes Go as a character from a meta standpoint feel a bit corporate and soulless when you think about it, valuing completing his Pokédex quickly over actually raising his Pokémon so that they can grow. And really, let’s face it, Go catching every stage of an evolution line is just plain boring to watch.

I wouldn't say it makes him soulless, we know that he cares for all of the pokemon he has caught and tends to them daily. We also know that he isn't trying to acquire a living dex, but like Reborn Talonflame mentions, in universe pokemon may not want to evolve and it is faster to catch an evolution, and from a writing standpoint it is easier to write a random capture than an evolution.

I do agree that it isn't handled well and that evolutions are more satisfying than catching an entire pokemon line, though I think it is important to note that Goh has only caught the whole line on 2 occasions: The Kanto bug episode, which was to establish Goh's goal, and the Flygon episode.

Aside from the Trapinch line, most of Goh's captures have been first stage pokemon, though I do wonder why they gave him final or mid stages like Boldore and Ariados.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom