• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say it makes him soulless, we know that he cares for all of the pokemon he has caught and tends to them daily. We also know that he isn't trying to acquire a living dex, but like Reborn Talonflame mentions, in universe pokemon may not want to evolve and it is faster to catch an evolution, and from a writing standpoint it is easier to write a random capture than an evolution.

I do agree that it isn't handled well and that evolutions are more satisfying than catching an entire pokemon line, though I think it is important to note that Goh has only caught the whole line on 2 occasions: The Kanto bug episode, which was to establish Goh's goal, and the Flygon episode.

Aside from the Trapinch line, most of Goh's captures have been first stage pokemon, though I do wonder why they gave him final or mid stages like Boldore and Ariados.
Well that’s why I specified that in the meta sense. They can write him as caring for his Pokémon because, let’s face it, they’re not gonna write a main character who doesn’t treat their Pokémon well. I was speaking from the standpoint of the execution of the character. They essentially created a character who catches more Pokémon than they could ever hope to actually characterize, having the majority of them just become background fixtures for the majority of the time. This coming in direct opposition to the past 7 generations of the Pokémon series where each cast member had a focused number of Pokémon that they formed a party with all of whom had their own personalities and quirks. By comparison, Go, who is created to be the embodiment of Pokémon Go, just feels soulless, corporate and cold.

I mean that kinda makes Go as a character from a meta standpoint feel a bit corporate and soulless when you think about it, valuing completing his Pokédex quickly over actually raising his Pokémon so that they can grow.

Seriously. I mean, with a name like "Go" they weren't even subtle about him being a walking advertisement for the smartphone app. The fact he can just catch random wild Pokémon without even weakening them most of the time makes him feel like a total prop.

My guess is that the preview showed the actual capture, but they intentionally left it ambiguous on what will happen to Suicune in the end. As in, the capture isn't the main thing, it's what Goh will do with Suicune by the end of the episode. And given that he was shown to be willing to unselfishly give away a Pokémon in the last episode, him releasing it wouldn't be such a surprise, or against what he's been shown to be willing to do.

It would have been cool if a Pokemon Ranger was in this episode. When was the last time they were used in the show? You see issues on the daily, and we never see one. It’s weird.

TBH, I think Goh would have been a way better character as a uninspiring Ranger, cause in that sense, he would capture and utilise different kinds of Pokemon to fit the scenario, and perhaps his dream could have been to work with Mew to become the best Ranger (since Mew could transform into every Pokemon, Mew would help in any situation). As a checkpoint, he checks off all the Pokemon he’s worked with his styler, and work his way up to Mew. This way, he wouldn’t have to capture all of them, but instead temporarily use them.

It would have been cool if a Pokemon Ranger was in this episode. When was the last time they were used in the show? You see issues on the daily, and we never see one. It’s weird.
Depends on if you're referring to a Ranger-class Trainer from the mainline games, in which the last appearance iirc was the Unova ruins episode where Gou caught Gorlurk, or if you meant the Rangers from the spin-off games where I believe they haven't appeared in the anime since late-Diamond and Pearl.

Seeing Suicune fall on the ground so pathetically, really drives me nuts. It isn't as if it's just lost to another legendary or even a competent villain.

Seeing Suicune fall on the ground so pathetically, really drives me nuts. It isn't as if it's just lost to another legendary or even a competent villain.
Well...
Maybe the poachers are actually powerfull and competent?
I'd recommend watching the episode before writing a review.

TBH, I think Goh would have been a way better character as a uninspiring Ranger, cause in that sense, he would capture and utilise different kinds of Pokemon to fit the scenario, and perhaps his dream could have been to work with Mew to become the best Ranger (since Mew could transform into every Pokemon, Mew would help in any situation). As a checkpoint, he checks off all the Pokemon he’s worked with his styler, and work his way up to Mew. This way, he wouldn’t have to capture all of them, but instead temporarily use them.

A nice idea, but I think I as a viewer would be less interested in Goh's goal if he was just working with a random pokemon in each episode. The pillars of pokemon are still battling and catching, capture-release is pretty unappealing in comparison.

*Is one, you meant to say?

And give me reasons he isn't one, then I'll respond in kind.
  • He has trouble making friends.
  • He is not athletic
  • He got swept in his first battle
  • He failed to catch Dewgong 10.000's of times
  • He failed to catch Farfetch'd
  • His pokemon was acting distant towards him
  • His win rate is the worst out of the JN gang
  • He needed help to catch a giant Magikarp
  • He lost the Magikarp Jump contest
  • Sobble abandoned him
  • He could not catch Zapdos
  • Him and Ash got swept by Mewtwo
  • He could not stop Ice Cream from melting
  • He did not understand the researchers were not bad guys
I'm sure there are more but this is long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom