• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

....Are we going to see a new barrage of articles claiming Goh is better than Ash like we got after the Kanto Bug incident?
Comicbook.com is probably typing their next crappy clickbait article as we speak.

"Here are the top 5 reasons why we think Goh is better than Ash and why Ash is a brain-dead washed up hack that should have headed to the anime retirement home years ago. Alola league what? That never happened you cretin."

Live footage of the anipoke community after seeing this episode
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 6.28.42 pm.png

They really gone ahead and did that huh, the writers just can't help but one-up themselves time after time for Go.

First Go encounters Lugia, then he tries (and fails) to catch Zapdos, then he (with the help of Ash) catches Eternatus, then he catches Suicune by himself.

Of course, Suicune is going to remain roaming the wild, so the writers can still one-up themselves by having Go capture a Legendary Pokemon which stays at the lab/stays on his team.

Did Suicune leave or was that an "I'll appear when I'm needed" thing?
I think the 2nd one. He himself has chosen to stay with Goh I think. And it appears the dome is to small for it to stay. So it's just roaming around and wil appear sometimes (when needed), I think.

(Or it just agreed to go with them to show off at the lab team, lol. No, it think it's Goh's Pokémon, but it's also roaming around in the wild.)

Anyone know how Japan is taking this?

...Well at least this is post Melmetal. I cannot imagine what the reaction to this pre Melmetal would have been.
I've heard that it seems that most of them are rather ''neutral'' on that. But keep in mind not everybody saw the episode yet, so the general reactions might change

Huh, Gou actually gets to keep Suicune. Wasn't expecting this, but at the same time, I'm kinda fine with it for a few reasons.
  • Suicune was disobedient towards Gou when he initially caught it, and it only started obeying him once it saw how kind he was.
  • Gou did try to release Suicune, but it willingly chose to stay under his ownership. While this does feel a little bit contrived, it at least alleviates the issues that most people have with Gou's character since he did give it the option to leave instead of outright forcing it to stay.
  • Although Suicune is under Gou's ownership, it's allowed to roam freely as it always has been. This is probably the biggest plus here, since it solves the issue that many peeps here had regarding the consequences of catching a legendary Pokemon and isolating it from the natural ecosystem.
The only major issue I still have with Gou catching Suicune is the initial circumstances behind the capture (even if Suicune was extremely weak and poisoned, the fact that a bunch of random hunters managed to get it to that point still feels rather contrived). Honestly, I'm surprised that the writers managed to have Gou capture a legendary Pokemon without making it look too contrived or distasteful. I'm definitely intrigued regarding Gou's future captures, since we now know that legendaries are absolutely on the table. Anyway, here's my thoughts on the rest of the episode.
  • It's always nice to see Gou using Pokemon that he has previously captured. Wasn't expecting to see his Raichu and Alolan Exeggutor here, but it was a nice bonus.
  • Did he catch that Drowzee offscreen? If so, then this probably sets a precedent for Gou getting random offscreen captures (the white Flabebe doesn't count, since we knew he was trying to get all of the colours).
  • As consistent as it may be, it's always nice to see type matchups be taken advantage of in the anime. Suicune finishing off Houndoom with Ice Beam instead of Hydro Pump is a bit weird, but perfectly understandable when you remember that Ice Beam has a 75% freeze rate in the anime. :wynaut:
Overall, this was a surprisingly decent episode. Again, definitely wasn't expecting Suicune to actually stay under Gou's ownership, but all things considered, I think the writers did a fairly good job at not making the whole episode look stupid considering its premise.

I’m happy. I really glad they went with the bonding route instead of the method of brute force, like Zapdos.

Yes, Ash has bonded with Pokemon in the past of legendary-status, but here’s something to ponder...
Ash wouldn’t want a Pokemon on his team that needs to be somewhere else, like protecting the wildlife (Celebi), its baby (Lugia), or its family (Latias). All of them had roles to play, and I don’t think Ash would wish to have that. Nagandel was set free to be with its kind, and despite catching it, Ash only ever intended to use Poipole at the time to find that place.
Plus, none of those legends wanted to be with Ash, or at least showed it to him. There’s been lots of Pokemon that have implied they wanted to travel with Ash - Dragonite, Hawlucha, Farfetch’d, Greninja, Oshawott, etc.
Ash has never wanted any of those Pokemon to originally come with him, only if they wanted to. The only member I can think of that Ash wanted was Chimchar, and even in that instance, he asked Chimchar.
Short story short, Goh managed to bond with a legendary. That doesn’t take skill, or require experience. It takes an understanding. Ash could easily do that, but there’s no reason why Goh can’t.

However, I wonder how they’re going to deal with other legendaries from now one. Suicuine isn’t exactly the strongest legendary, but still, doing the bonding routine with every Pokemon will kind of get stale...

Eitarou said:
Did Suicune leave or was that an "I'll appear when I'm needed" thing?

It's kind of vague, actually. Here's the dialogue after Suicune disappears

Satoshi: "Where did Suicune...?"
Gou: "It's here."
Satoshi: "Huh?
Gou: "Even if we can't see it, it's here. I can tell."
Satoshi: "Yeah...I get what you mean."

BlazingPyro77 said:
This ep was in Hoenn for some reason.

No, it took place in the Johto Region (see the ジョウト地方 text at the bottom right).

johto.png

I’m happy. I really glad they went with the bonding route instead of the method of brute force, like Zapdos.

Yes, Ash has bonded with Pokemon in the past of legendary-status, but here’s something to ponder...
Ash wouldn’t want a Pokemon on his team that needs to be somewhere else, like protecting the wildlife (Celebi), its baby (Lugia), or its family (Latias). All of them had roles to play, and I don’t think Ash would wish to have that. Nagandel was set free to be with its kind, and despite catching it, Ash only ever intended to use Poipole at the time to find that place.
Plus, none of those legends wanted to be with Ash, or at least showed it to him. There’s been lots of Pokemon that have implied they wanted to travel with Ash - Dragonite, Hawlucha, Farfetch’d, Greninja, Oshawott, etc.
Ash has never wanted any of those Pokemon to originally come with him, only if they wanted to. The only member I can think of that Ash wanted was Chimchar, and even in that instance, he asked Chimchar.
Short story short, Goh managed to bond with a legendary. That doesn’t take skill, or require experience. It takes an understanding. Ash could easily do that, but there’s no reason why Goh can’t.

However, I wonder how they’re going to deal with other legendaries from now one. Suicuine isn’t exactly the strongest legendary, but still, doing the bonding routine with every Pokemon will kind of get stale...
Because all the Pokemon who wanted to go with Ash had time to decide BEFORE getting caught not after.

Anyone know how Japan is taking this?

...Well at least this is post Melmetal. I cannot imagine what the reaction to this pre Melmetal would have been.
Even post-Melmetal, it’s just not comparable. Melmetal is a Mythical, a minor one at that (to the degree that it still has no specific place in the Pokédex and was caught at the tail end of the series to the point it got only 3 actual battles. Suicune meanwhile is a major Legendary that’s part of the Johto trio, was caught barely a third of the way into the series and practically handed to Go. At this point, it’s just ridiculous how much of a writer’s pet that they’ve made Go.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom