• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Because all the Pokemon who wanted to go with Ash had time to decide BEFORE getting caught not after.
Well Goh did “release” Suicuine, and it had decided it wanted to be with him, at least in some regards, after that.

Even post-Melmetal, it’s just not comparable. Melmetal is a Mythical, a minor one at that (to the degree that it still has no specific place in the Pokédex and was caught at the tail end of the series to the point it got only 3 actual battles. Suicune meanwhile is a major Legendary that’s part of the Johto trio, was caught barely a third of the way into the series and practically handed to Go. At this point, it’s just ridiculous how much of a writer’s pet that they’ve made Go.
I still can’t get over the fact that Goh never even freaked out over Ash’s Melmetal. It’s like it’s not treat as anything special, which is weird.

Don't eat me alive please

Go is officially a writer's pet in my opinion

JN writer's thought pattern: "people don't like Goh, oh wait if he catches a legendary pokemon everyone will like him" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even post-Melmetal, it’s just not comparable. Melmetal is a Mythical, a minor one at that (to the degree that it still has no specific place in the Pokédex and was caught at the tail end of the series to the point it got only 3 actual battles. Suicune meanwhile is a major Legendary that’s part of the Johto trio, was caught barely a third of the way into the series and practically handed to Go. At this point, it’s just ridiculous how much of a writer’s pet that they’ve made Go.

Agreed, why are they even wasting time on Ash just make Go enter the PWC and there you have the rest of the series.

Well, first Dracovish and now Suicune - I suppose I should get used to being wrong. It still seems funny that they would outright show it in the preview and it not be a misdirect I suppose it is because he caught it earlier on in the episode and then the rest was about bonding/defending it, like Sobble’s caputure episode actually.

But it wentback to the lab?! Nobody thought that was going to happen. Although I’m fine with it, the episode was great – nothing like a bunch of hunters to make the stakes high. Love Seeing Goh use other Pokémon too.

I still don’t think we can expect him to get god like Pokemon such as Kyogre or Dialga but sub-legends need to watch their back...

Well Goh did “release” Suicuine, and it had decided it wanted to be with him, at least in some regards, after that.
Even with that, they basically put the cart before the horse (again). Rather than having him bond with the Pokémon first, they have the bonding happen after the point that it’s tethered to him via capture. They did it with Sobble and now they did it with Suicune.

Pretty good episode aside from the choppy animation. The only other problem I had with it is that it killed any hopes of the fandom being at peace during Journeys’ runtime and Goh not being a divisive character, but those were bound to happen, anyway. Congratulations on your first Legendary, Goh! As for all of you, have fun destroying each other.

Oh well I suppose roaming around but caught is the best compromise we’re getting, but at least Suicune won’t spend the rest of eternity glaring at people from Sakuragi’s pond, so... cheers.

Come to think of it, it’s a good strategic play to let itself remain caught by someone it trusts: that’ll prevent another scenario where some opportunist blindsides it with a pokeball.

Come to think of it, it’s a good strategic play to let itself remain caught by someone it trusts: that’ll prevent another scenario where some opportunist blindsides it with a pokeball.

Y’know, I actually never thought of it that way, but now that you say it, it’s pretty obvious. I wonder if any other Legendaries are secretly “owned” by Trainers for that same reason.

Don't eat me alive please

Go is officially a writer's pet in my opinion

JN writer's thought pattern: "people don't like Goh, oh wait if he catches a legendary pokemon everyone will like him" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agreed, why are they even wasting time on Ash just make Go enter the PWC and there you have the rest of the series.
I think they should just scrap journeys all together instead of making it the "Goh show! with a little bit of ash"

Oh well I suppose roaming around but caught is the best compromise we’re getting, but at least Suicune won’t spend the rest of eternity glaring at people from Sakuragi’s pond, so... cheers.

Does it though? I mean remember, we had Pokémon Hunters in the past like Hunter J who didn’t care about catching it in a ball. If a poacher wants to capture a Pokémon for profit, they’re not gonna be concerned about ownership.

You know I'm amazed I haven't seen the anti-Goh salt in fanfic form outside of that one story with the Infinity Train.

...Eh maybe the salt is more reserved for liars and jinx beleivers in the west than Creators Pets.

I actually made up a Pokémon fanfic as a kid (never really wrote much of it down), where one of the characters caught the Legendary birds, but let them roam free in order to not attract too much attention to him, while still retaining their ownership. This episode reminded me of that.

You know what’s gonna be a bit annoying? If Suicune is out there roaming, if Go is reunited with Suicune somewhere down the line yet the writers can’t be bothered with letting Ash be reunited with his Pokémon who he let roam but never really released like a certain Pidgeot over in the Viridian Forest.

Last edited:
I've read fanfiction stories where Ash catches legendaries, but those stories normally have Ash as a trainer who has years of experience.

I've read fanfiction stories where Ash catches legendaries, but those stories normally have Ash as a trainer who has years of experience.

Normally I question if the Writers should be aware of what the fan reaction is and to avoid fueling SALT fics at any level. Like you can't sotp them, but after No Such Luck and Chameleon you'd think they'd have learned....

However these are Japanese writers, so I'll assume they have a good reason to not know. Don't know what Japanese fanfics look like so...

You know what’s gonna be a bit annoying? If Suicune is out there roaming, if Go is reunited with Suicune somewhere down the line yet the writers can’t be bothered with letting Ash be reunited with his Pokémon who he let roam but never really released like a certain Pidgeot over in the Viridian Forest.
If the reunion happens in the same series that the Pokemon's caught in, then it's not really a big deal. Same thing's happened to Ash's Goodra and Naganadel, for example.

Know what really gets me? Over the past almost 25 years, we’ve had to sit through the plot just having Ash have to get rid of numerous Pokémon. Hell, he had to leave behind his fist pseudo legendary Goodra, release Greninja (most likely because of the bond phenomenon) and Naganadel most recently. Yet here they have Go being allowed to keep a legendary Pokémon. Like seriously, wtf? Is Niantic sliding OLM some cash on the side to e sure that Go gets peak special treatment or what?

Speaking of Suicune, is Suicune a unique pokemon? I'm pretty sure there are several of them like there are several Zapdoses out there. If this is true, then it's not like Goh caught a one of a kind legendary like Ho-oh.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom