• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Speaking of Suicune, is Suicune a unique pokemon? I'm pretty sure there are several of them like there are several Zapdoses out there. If this is true, then it's not like Goh caught a one of a kind legendary like Ho-oh.
In the anime, at least, it's not unique, as far as I understand.

Normally I question if the Writers should be aware of what the fan reaction is and to avoid fueling SALT fics at any level. Like you can't sotp them, but after No Such Luck and Chameleon you'd think they'd have learned....

However these are Japanese writers, so I'll assume they have a good reason to not know. Don't know what Japanese fanfics look like so...
To me, Journeys feels like a 14 year olds poorly written fanfiction at points. What's next, is he going to be handed Entei and Raikou on a silver platter like Suicune?

If the reunion happens in the same series that the Pokemon's caught in, then it's not really a big deal. Same thing's happened to Ash's Goodra and Naganadel, for example.
Difference there is that those Pokémon were left in a specific region in a specific location while Suicune wanders the world. Ash reuniting with his old Pokémon. It’s like comparing trying to hit a bullseye to trying to hit a bullseye while blindfolded in a scenario where the dartboard is moving across the room.

To me, Journeys feels like a 14 year olds poorly written fanfiction at points. What's next, is he going to be handed Entei and Raikou on a silver platter like Suicune?
He didn't get Suicune on a silver platter. He actually treated its wounds and defended it, despite its initial mistrust of him. And it still gets to go wherever it wants.

He didn't get Suicune on a silver platter. He actually treated its wounds and defended it, despite its initial mistrust or him. And it still gets to go wherever it wants.
Which isn’t a unique type of scenario given the Ash and co’s previous encounters with legendaries. Hell, Ash saved Mewtwo and Celebi’s life once. So what about this specific scenario that makes Go so special as to be allowed to capture and keep a legendary?

Which isn’t a unique type of scenario given the Ash and co’s previous encounters with legendaries. Hell, Ash saved Mewtwo and Celebi’s life once. So what about this specific scenario that makes Go so special as to be allowed to capture and keep a legendary?
More like he already caught it, but Suicune saw him fit and unselfish enough to keep itself. Especially when Goh was ready to release it at the end, again displaying his unselfishness.

Overall, I think this episode demonstrates how much Goh has grown as Trainer. Remember when Goh didn't consider Scorbunny's feelings at all? A complete 180 to that time.

More like he already caught it, but Suicune saw him fit and unselfish enough to keep itself. Especially when Goh was ready to release it at the end, again displaying his unselfishness.

Overall, I think this episode demonstrates how much Goh has grown as Trainer. Remember when Goh didn't consider Scorbunny's feelings at all? A complevnte 180 to that time.
He stilled showed selfishness since he thought the best way to save Suicune was to capture it instead of thinking of a better plan to free it from the ropes. Like IDK...haveing Cinderace use a move to break the ropes?

I told everyone in the preview thread they they were gonna give him one eventually.

Oooooohhh my guy. I don't know about y'all, but I predict that there's gonna be the biggest outrage and internal fight in this fandom's history because of this episode.
Eh, I have a feeling this won't match the Kalos league finals.

Overall, I think this episode demonstrates how much Goh has grown as Trainer. Remember when Goh didn't consider Scorbunny's feelings at all? A complete 180 to that time.
That's a good analogy,but tbh I think that Suicune shouldn't have been given to Goh so easily. As for why,that's not because I hate him,but that's because of the intense backlash this would receive. I think that Goh should have received Suicune over a two-part episode.
Also,can we start praying that TR wasn't involved?

Know what really gets me? Over the past almost 25 years, we’ve had to sit through the plot just having Ash have to get rid of numerous Pokémon. Hell, he had to leave behind his fist pseudo legendary Goodra, release Greninja (most likely because of the bond phenomenon) and Naganadel most recently. Yet here they have Go being allowed to keep a legendary Pokémon. Like seriously, wtf? Is Niantic sliding OLM some cash on the side to e sure that Go gets peak special treatment or what?
There is no real difference. Ash gave five Poke Balls to Prof. Oak when SM started, which probably indicated that he still owns Goodra and Greninja in a loose way. We know how reunions work, and it's entirely up to OLM's whims. Go will need to find Suicune again and that's no small feat.

I have very mixed feelings about this episode, but unless Go ends up using Suicune in some major battle, let's tone down the complaints. I suspect there will be another episode involving all three beasts, but who knows. This plotline would make more sense if they were trying to summon Ho-Oh, but so far they haven't foreshadowed it at all.

FYI my opinion on the episode,it's great imo. The episode shows an evil group doing something very sinister,and also shows Suicune's legendary feats. I also liked how Goh proved its trust to Suicune and that is what made it decide to stay with him,the only thing I don't like is that the evil team gets Deus Ex Machina'd out of existance after Suicune recovers and he takes them down singlehandedly. Overall,8/10.

There is no real difference. Ash gave five Poke Balls to Prof. Oak when SM started, which probably indicated that he still owns Goodra and Greninja in a loose way. We know how reunions work, and it's entirely up to OLM's whims. Go will need to find Suicune again and that's no small feat.

I have very mixed feelings about this episode, but unless Go ends up using Suicune in some major battle, let's tone down the complaints. I suspect there will be another episode involving all three beasts, but who knows.
True,and no one said Journeys can't have Ash reunite with Goodra+Greninja. They did an Alola reunion,make Goh get two legendary captures,and also allowed Ash to get Mr Fishy,so who knows what the future will hold?

That’s honestly a seriously low bar considering that that’s how he’s expected to act. We’re not exactly gonna be seeing a main character who is shown to be despicable. Now if it were the line of TRio or something who made a call like that, it’d be something but as they say, you don’t get praise for doing what you’re supposed to do.

That’s honestly a seriously low bar considering that that’s how he’s expected to act. We’re not exactly gonna be seeing a main character who is shown to be despicable. Now if it were the line of TRio or something who made a call like that, it’d be something but as they say, you don’t get praise for doing what you’re supposed to do.

That isn’t how he is supposed act. Go is a child and children are pretty selfish. Most kids wouldn’t see the big picture concerning Suicune. So Go is showing a lot of maturity for his age.

That isn’t how he is supposed act. Go is a child and children are pretty selfish. Most kids wouldn’t see the big picture concerning Suicune. So Go is showing a lot of maturity for his age.
Goh is 10. Obviously he is gonna be a little mature, kids are not dumb.

Given that he’s a protagonist of the Pokémon anime, him acting that way is par for the course. Ash is also a child of the same age and has been doing things like that for ages, even in his most immature. So yea, that’s exactly how he’s expected to act.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom