• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Honestly, it's no where near as bad as I thought it would, though that's probably because the more... aggressive users (to put it nicely) seem to have disappeared, or have been banned, from the forums.
Uh yeah, I might have a clear hatred for Goh but not enough to be overly agressive to his fans because of this episode. Give up on Journeys entirely yes, but I won't take it that far since I don't want to risk getting banned.

The point is that there is nothing unnatural about Go's instinct telling him to catch Suicune so that he can transport it to a safe place. The kid's goal is to catch Mew, so he doesn't have this preconceived notion about "catching legendaries is bad." He did the right thing in the end.

My qualms are with the way Suicune needed to be saved in the first place. Had this been a two-parter, they could have made the setup more convincing. In Legend of Thunder, Raikou needed to be taken to a Pokemon Center after that crystal sucked its power, but we never saw how Kenta and Marina transported it.
I’d say less a matter of it being unnatural than it being some messed up priorities. Here they have a Pokémon that is being assaulted by poachers and Go’s first instinct is throw a pokeball first, as opposed to getting it free. And while people have argued that that is getting it free, it’s also a matter of taking advantage of a situation for an easy capture. In a scenario like that, capture shouldn’t even be a thought that comes to mind due to how tasteless that comes across as.

I really feel like Gou shouldn't be as controversial as he is. Something about him triggers people and I think it stems from more than just him catching pokemon easily.
I think a lot of people just reject perfect/overpowered characters, and they also tend to like rooting for underdogs. Today, most people enjoy Batman more than Superman. To me, Ash (at his best) is the epitome of hard work and determination. He's the underdog that we've been rooting for for 20+ years.

I think it does trigger me a little that Gou basically caught up to him in the span of 50 episodes without breaking a sweat. I guess it devalues Ash, indirectly.

I’d say less a matter of it being unnatural than it being some messed up priorities. Here they have a Pokémon that is being assaulted by poachers and Go’s first instinct is throw a pokeball first, as opposed to getting it free. And while people have argued that that is getting it free, it’s also a matter of taking advantage of a situation for an easy capture. In a scenario like that, capture shouldn’t even be a thought that comes to mind due to how tasteless that comes across as.
Ash did the same thing with Cyndaquil. Yet no one thought that was wrong

I think a lot of people just reject perfect/overpowered characters, and they also tend to like rooting for underdogs. Today, most people enjoy Batman more than Superman. To me, Ash (at his best) is the epitome of hard work and determination. He's the underdog that we've been rooting for for 20+ years.

I think it does trigger me a little that Gou basically caught up to him in the span of 50 episodes without breaking a sweat. I guess it devalues Ash, indirectly.
This is pretty much one of the reasons for my distaste for Goh. He's not an awful character, but it does feels like they speedrunned an mountain of character development to get him to be an equal to Ash.

And this doesn't really works at the end cuz Ash literally took 7 regions to be where he is today, taking over 20+ years of development. Then Goh comes as an noobish trainer who almost passed out from his first battle and now he has a Legendary in the span of 50 eps. He had SO much potential.

I really feel like Gou shouldn't be as controversial as he is. Something about him triggers people and I think it stems from more than just him catching pokemon easily.
My problem is pretty much what Beasty Ray says. Goh has no struggles or hurdles to climb what so ever and has managed to nearly catch up with Ash in the span of 53 episodes, and now just because he's nice he gets a Legendary? Ash had to work long and hard across 7 regions before he was given a mythical and a Legendary tier Pokemon, but Goh suddenly catching a Legendary feels like a slap in the face regardless of the situation and how it was handled here. Everything he does feel like its done all too easily, and that's all on the writers. He's starting to feel like the writer's pet, more so than when people complained about Lana.

Last edited:
My problem is pretty much what Beasty Ray says. Goh has no struggles or hurdles to climb what so ever and has managed to nearly catch up with Ash in the span of 53 episodes, and now just because he's nice he gets a Legendary? Ash had to work long and hard across 7 regions before he was given a mythical and a Legendary tier Pokemon, but Goh suddenly catching a Legendary feels like a slap in the face regardless of the situation and how it was handled here. Everything he does feel like its done all too easily. He's starting to feel like the writer's pet, more so than when people complained about Lana.

Ash getting a Legendary Pokemon was not the result of his experience across seven regions though. He didn't even battle it. Meltan was caught primarily due to its friendship with Rowlet, along with a bit of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion. I think that's a major problem with this comparison. Meltan didn't feel more earned due to Ash's experience because that didn't factor into its capture in the first place. That's really more on fan interpretation more so than anything in the show itself. Now I can understand the issue of Goh not really having any struggles or catching Pokemon too easily, but this comparison just always rub me the wrong way.

My problem is pretty much what Beasty Ray says. Goh has no struggles or hurdles to climb what so ever and has managed to nearly catch up with Ash in the span of 53 episodes, and now just because he's nice he gets a Legendary? Ash had to work long and hard across 7 regions before he was given a mythical and a Legendary tier Pokemon, but Goh suddenly catching a Legendary feels like a slap in the face regardless of the situation and how it was handled here. Everything he does feel like its done all too easily. He's starting to feel like the writer's pet, more so than when people complained about Lana.
I think the difference is that Ash catches Pokémon at a slower pace than Goh, and it's never really been his main goal. The "quality" of Goh's captures has built up faster than Ash's. Although, Hidden Mew does make a valid point above against the idea of Ash's captures actually building up towards anything.

Excuse me, Caught up? How What has Gou done that makes him as formidable as Ash as a trainer. All Gou has done really is mainly catch pokemon. Gou doesn't even want to consider himself a battler.

I respect the intention of the writers, but they can certainly execute Goh's goal better. Goh is a very polarizing character. You either love him or hate him. For me, I'm cool with his personality, but I'm not cool with him being as OP as he is. I think he wouldn't be so controversial if he struggled more and have him catch legends later down the line.

It doesn't really help that Ash still has that goofy Alola era personality instead of being more serious like he was throughout Kalos.

People wanted a more traditional gym badge quest in the Galar region rather than a world tour.

Catchy-boy is a convenient scapegoat.

That's another thing. When has the aspect of catching put on such a high pedestal? There are many instances in the past where you can one shot a pokemon besides Gou. Hell even Ash caught multitudes of pokemon in one ball. It's not supposed to be super challenging, it's as hard as the pokemon themselves make it

Full disclosure that I haven't watched the episode yet, but after reading lots of recaps/reviews/think pieces about what went down...I'm okay with how they handled the "Goh catches Suicune" situation.

I'm still not the biggest fan of a legendry Pokémon being caught just because I feel like it cheapens the lore and mystification of them. But I do appreciate the fact that Goh was willing to release Suicune, that ultimately, it was Suicune's choice to remain captured, and that it can still roam freely without being tied down to the lab. Honestly, I didn't really see that as an option before the episode aired (even though we've seen other characters do it with their Pokémon before) but I don't hate it.

Of course everyone is piling on Goh, though, which I guess was to be expected, even though it doesn't really feel fair. This was Suicune's decision, so it's weird that so many people are blaming Goh for actually keeping it.

It doesn't really help that Ash still has that goofy Alola era personality instead of being more serious like he was throughout Kalos.
Some people saw his Kalos personality as overly mature for him. And I don't think his goofiness is quite at the same level as it was in Alola.
People wanted a more traditional gym badge quest in the Galar region rather than a world tour.
That's generalization. Some may want that, but definitely not everyone.

I will admit I had...less than stellar first impressions based on the preview. The episode itself wasn't as bad as I thought, however, with it finding a decent middle ground between 'Suicune staying at the lab' and 'Goh actually releasing Suicune'.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom