• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN055: The Tale of You and Me in Luminous Maze Forest!?

As a Koharu fan, I actually sort of feared her capturing Ponyta (though they've done well with Eevee) as the show struggles (though at the same time, some Pokemon have had individual episodes) giving Pokemon focus, that being said I would hope Koharu fans simply appreciate her leading episodes, and having fun, showing us more of where she is now as opposed to where she was episode 11, for instance.

Chloe didn't even capture Ponyta even though this episode was supposedly supposed to focus on her. However Goh got a Capture, when this episode wasn't even about him. Ridiculous. Goh will probably take the Spotlight this time from Ash in Next Week's Episode as well.
He is taking spotlight from him in the prewiew. It's probably gonna be like Alola where they both have focus but one has more. Also Goh's capture was not important he gets one almost every EP. Tbh Him, Ash and Opal were pointless this episode.

Was expecting a Ponyta focus episode, but ended up getting Eevee development instead. I'm pleasantly surprised. The writers did a really good job showcasing Eevee's habit of mimicking in this episode, with it using Copycat to copy Heal Pulse to heal Chloe and Rapidash, as well as mimicking the Impidimp's behavior to befriend them. Frankly, this episode already made Chloe's Eevee feel more entertaining than many other Eevees we've seen thus far. Ponyta not being captured was a bit unexpected, but I'm fine with it since Eevee got its fair share of focus this episode.

Small detail, but I like how they showed us Gou's Morelull at the end of the episode just to assure us that the entire episode wasn't just a dream.

Small detail, but I like how they showed us Gou's Morelull at the end of the episode just to assure us that the entire episode wasn't just a dream.
My thought exactly. I can already hear some reaction makers wondering at that point if it was all a dream, only for Morelull to appear and prove that it wasn't.

Chloe doesn't even get a new capture, yet here's Goh with another pointless capture. Its disappointing cause after seeing Chloe bond with G-Ponyta, she doesn't even get to capture it. Opal though certainly delivered! I didn't expect things to get as pink as they did. Her forcing Ash and Goh into pink clothes was actually very amusing. Also the outfit she put together for Cinderace was so adorable!

Last edited:
Chloe doesn't even get a new capture, yet here's Goh with another pointless capture. Its disappointing cause after seeing Chloe bond with G-Ponyta, she doesn't even get to capture it.
Goh's capture hardly ate any screentime. And also served as a subtle "It wasn't a dream" note at the end.

I know some Chloe fans who will be bothered by this episode....yep yep...

If I'm one of those fans you're referring to then you're absolutely right!!!

Going to rewatch the episode with subs before I give my full analysis, but this entire episode was a pretty big disappointment and I'm right back at being downright frustrated with this series.

Koharu gets some nice moments but both Ash and Goh quite frankly should have been left out.

And what a waste of Opal too, one of the big Galar names and this is the best they can come up with for her?

It's an episode of two sides: the left side is utterly adorable (Koharu), the other boring and uninteresting sh*te that reminds me why I'm not liking this series (Ash and Goh).

I was someone who was in doubt if Chloe should catch the Ponyta or not, especially since it lived with the Rapidash and it just got healed. So I'm not that surprised it didn't got caught in this episode. However, if they make a good episode for the capture I wouldn't mind a capture in the future. But let her now have some more adventures with Eevee.

While I didn't dislike this episode as much as other people did, it was still pretty mixed. The sections focusing on Chloe were great, but Ash and Goh didn't really add much, and I really would have liked to see a battle against Opal. At least Cinderace being the only one to dig Opal's tacky clothes was kinda funny.

My favorite part of the episode was the one with the Impidimp trio. They were adorable and funny, and Eevee befriending them by imitating their actions was both adorable and clever. That chemistry was such that I'd actually love to see Chloe catching an Impidimp someday. And before anyone jumps at me, I know it's unlikely at best, all I said is that I'd love it if it happened.

And speaking of captures, while it was a surprise that Chloe didn't end up catching Ponyta after all, I have to admit that part of me is hugely relieved about that, since I'd much rather Yamper be made Chloe's official Pokemon and joins her and Eevee in their adventures before she catches anything else.

I thought this was a good episode for Koharu and Eevee but Ash and Go didn't add much other than the pink clothes gag and Go's comment on Koharu's bravery.

I loved the atmosphere of the forest, the music selections fit it well - were there some new tracks in this ep or just ones we haven't heard as often?

Hopefully Opal will show up again, I'm hoping Koharu eventually catches that Ponyta too.

I'd call it a solid episode. Although she's not my favorite character, I must admit Chloe had the best parts this time, while the scenes with Ash, Go and Opal turned out to be pretty pointless.

Let's go more into detail:

I liked the atmosphere of that forest in general. On the one hand, it felt mysterious while on the other hand, it looked kind of funny with those huge mushrooms serving as replacements for light bulbs. Pretty creative idea!
Also, I think the main plot was written very well: It started with Chloe having a vision, then she actually met those Pokemon and had a great experience with them. Finally, we got an open end and could decide on our ones whether it was a dream or not (I'm still undecided to be honest)
Then, there were those Impidimp, some interesting Pokemon for sure. Its final evolution Grimmsnarl was one of my favorite Pokemon in the games, not only because of its awesome design but because it's also pretty strong. I'm really angry the writers didn't allow Ash (not Go!) to get one. It would have been a great, valuable addition to his team.

What I didn't like, though, was those Opal scenes. Her quiz did make sense in the games, but here it was totally pointless. Apparently, her only purpose was to keep the boys busy for whatever reason. They could have used that timeslot much better.
Also, Pikachu, I felt with you when you were so embarrassed about having to wear those ridiculously pink clothes. Honestly, as a guy I would have reacted the exact same way. Poor Pikachu! :X3:

Last but not least, I'm still wondering whether it was all a dream or not. Go catching a Morelull could have happened off-screen as well, so that's not enough proof. And although I prefer Kantonian Rapidash's design, I do hope the story actually happened in the end because it was written quite well for the aforementioned reasons.

All in all, a mixed yet entertaining episode with a few pointless scenes but also with some good animation.

Goh will probably take the Spotlight this time from Ash in Next Week's Episode as well.
He'd better not do that! After a long time we'll finally get a proper battle episode again and Ash certainly deserves to get the focus here!

Last edited:
Opal not battling would've been perfectly fine if the episode was actually about her, but no. She was thrown into an ep for no other reason that it happens to take place in her home.

I'd be less annoyed if this were a regular SWSH show because then that'd mean she'd probably appear in the next few episodes.

But in this? Who knows?

So, while I get the complaints, I think keeping a few things in mind is important here, even if it doesn't change how people view the episode overall. One, as Ash and Gou were the ones in the pink gear, they were by default necessary, because that was the best part of the episode (which shocks me too). Two, running into someone in their neck of woods isn't a bad thing, and how they met I thought was done well, though now that Opal has appeared, I would hope for something involving her later. That out of the way, good episode, I thought more people would complain about the "it was just a dream" theme, but most seem to understand it, so good there. Koharu (and particularly Eevee this time) were great, Eevee's mimicking is continuing to be a great theme for her, and thus Koharu.

Ok watching the subs made this episode better let's... Rewiew!
:bulbaWave:Good Stuff
+
Chloe focus
+ Pink
+ Impidimp
+ Goh no Impidimp getto da ze!
+ Eevee
+ Opal
+ Beautiful Animation
+ Emotional
:bulbaFacepalm:Bad Stuff
-
Ash, Goh and Opal's scenes were pointless.
- Chloe no Ponyta getto da ze!
8/10 Pink

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom