• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN056: Gampi of The Big Four! The Hall of Chivalry!!

That doesn’t really clarify anything. How did Goh “get ahead” of Ash? Were they having a contest to see whose Pokémon would evolve first? Because I don’t think that was the case.
They are fighting one of the Elite 4. Goh does not step aside. He's constantly in the anime.

I thought Farfetch and Wilkstorm would fight. Next to them with Goh Scyter.

I just want an episode where Goh is completely pulled aside with Ash in the center.

Goh is either the main focus alone or the main focus with Ash. But ash is never the main focus alone.

I think this is a very disturbing situation.

Allowed Farfetch'd to dodge an attack, as it's supposed to do.

Because they both took the same challenge.

And they did.

This is the problem. No more Ash. Now there is Goh or Goh with Ash.

I just miss the part of Ash in focus.

Areas with long gym battles and only Ash in the center.

Do you have a link?
Unfortunately I don't, cuz when I clicked on the tag and the ''Top'' part of the search system, nearly every tweet was in br portuguese, since hey, I do live in Brazil. So I don't have a link cuz it wasn't like, a solo tweet or something. And heck, I saw some of the brazillian fanpages who used to idolize this series suddenly hating on it and showing dissastifaction, like VidaDeTreinador and CanalDoCamaleão. I got shocked when I saw that.

Unfortunately I don't, cuz when I clicked on the tag and the ''Top'' part of the search system, nearly every tweet was in br portuguese, since hey, I do live in Brazil. So I don't have a link cuz it wasn't like, a solo tweet or something. And heck, I saw some of the brazillian fanpages who used to idolize this series suddenly hating on it and showing dissastifaction, like VidaDeTreinador and CanalDoCamaleão. I got shocked when I saw that.
It is totally different here in the English Fandom when we have Poketubers who constantly clickbait, promote consoomerism, and don't even criticise the product. Basically shills.

I don't think this episode was bad, I think it was pretty good. I didn't have a problem with Kamon not evolving. I'd like it to get at least 2 more dedicated Episodes to it before it evolves. I'd really like to see others on Ash's Team get dedicated episodes as well (other than Pikachu/Lucario), Dragonite & Gengar are just there right now. I think Ash is in need of Rivals that keep on reappearing (not just COTD Rivals like Bea/Korrina).

It is totally different here in the English Fandom when we have Poketubers who constantly clickbait, promote consoomerism, and don't even criticise the product. Basically shills.
At least from my experience, as varied as opionions go, the br fandom does tends to be more willingly to crticise stuff and also change their minds about certain things.

And there's also the fact that I don't think we have any noteworthy Pokétuber. I literally can't think of anybody here in Brazil who talks solely about Pokemon in their channels, different from the US. The only one you could maybe call a Pokétuber here in Brazil would probably be Camaleão, but he's not that popular and known as say, someone like LumioseTrainerZac, and he also talks about other things too.

Honestly this kinda was disappointing. First off, why are Ash and Goh the only ones at Wikstrom's training camp?? This goes into one more issue I have with this series. The world feels kinda empty at times in this series. I mean look at busy cities like Castelia City and Wyndon? Barely a soul in sight. Farfetch'd learning a new move was nice, but I expected more of a battle between Ash and Wikstrom. Also, while an evolution for Scyther feels earned, considering its one of the few Pokemon Goh uses that's not Cinderace, I understand why people feel the way they do. It does feel like Ash can't get a single episode to himself and himself alone lately. Goh tends to get to do something in episodes where Ash has the majority of the focus. Like here, Goh got an evolution. The last Ash focused episode, Goh got another pointless capture. Even if it is less than a minute, Goh still gets to do something, while Ash and his Pokemon tend to get sidelined entirely or contribute very little in Goh focused episodes.

TV shows can juggle multiple characters at once. It doesn't have to always be as binary as Goh-focused or Ash-focused. Both can get concurrent development.
That’s the point. Journeys has utterly failed at juggling three characters at once. The last series with dual protagonists (DP) did it much better. It needs to be put into binaries to illustrate a point when one character gets sidelined in favour of the other.

Don't need to have Go disappear. Just let him take a backseat in what are supposed to be Ash focused episodes (He stole screentime in all of them, except Visquez and Bea 2).

Episodes 13, 16, 18, 21, 34, 39, and 51 are all examples of "Ash" episodes where Goh isn't the focus.

The Japanese fanbase isnt too happy about this ep it seems

Source?

Yes but that means that people were more interested in Scizor.

Scisor was 5th on last years Johto popularity poll so of course some people will be excited. That doesn't retroactively diminish Ash's role in the episode. People are allowed to like different things.

I was glad I was going to watch an episode focused on Ash after a long time. I looked at the episode again disappointing.

Even in this episode, Goh got ahead of Ash.

I hope this will be the last season of Ash. The writers officially waste Ash.

The episode demonstrated that Ash was more physically competent than Goh repeatedly and relegates Goh to the Key catching subplot. The only thing Goh had over Ash was being more in tune with Scyther at the beginning of the episode, but that was because Ash bonding with Farfetch'd was the point of the episode and it got the most focus.

The episode demonstrated that Ash was more physically competent than Goh repeatedly and relegates Goh to the Key catching subplot. The only thing Goh had over Ash was being more in tune with Scyther at the beginning of the episode, but that was because Ash bonding with Farfetch'd was the point of the episode and it got the most focus.
Ash is already more competent and tough than Goh. He traveled the world and experienced.

There is no need to show them. It should have been just Farfetch's war. Goh is not at a level to challenge one of the elite 4.

It is compared to Ash's 1997 version, Goh. But here the problem arises. Goh is far superior to Ash in 1997.

I thought this was a fine episode that provided neat character development for Farfetch'd, but I get why people are complaining here: Goh getting to evolve his Scyther when everyone was expecting Farfetch'd to be the one to evolve here is of course gonna be annoying. I personally don't mind much, since it means that Farfetch'd can continue getting more focus in the future, but the frustration is understandable. That said, Scyther's evolution was so underplayed and tacked on that it feels more like a footnote than the excuse to glorify Goh that a lot of people are claiming it to be. Still, even I would say that the writers should maybe turn down the Goh freebies a notch, since it is kinda getting increasingly hard to argue against the notion that he's a creator's pet.

Farfetch'd did at least get Detect, which is going to be very useful for him in the future, seeing how his poor reflexes are one of his major weaknesses, which Detect largely fixes.

As I said in my latest edit, if the anime doesn’t follow the learnset system, then how can you be sure it follows the fact Pokemon can’t learn more than four moves at a time?
I noticed that. It used Thunder, Protect, Thunderpunch and Giga Impact. So, it was missing Brick Break. But, Electavire had it since its debut against Pikachu when they tied in Ash and Paul’s first battle.
It makes no sense that a Pokemon would forget a move, then gain it back for a fight later.
Now, I’m willing to accept your opinion that Pokemon literally can only use four moves in battle, but there’s no disproving my stance cause there’s always the case Paul simply didn’t use the move cause the opportunity never presented itself.
Regarding the weird "4 moves only" rule and how it applies to the anime, my personal headcanon is that technically all Pokemon always have access to every move they've ever learned. It's just that in official matches there's an unsaid rule that forbids trainers from having their Pokemon using more than four in the same battle, with exceptions only being made if a Pokemon learns a new move mid-match, and even then, that move must "replace" a previous one in the battle proper. So basically, once a trainer has commanded their Pokemon four moves, they have to stick with those for the rest of the battle (this, by the way, might explain what the hell was up with Stephan's Zebstrika having only four Normal-type moves; presumably, Thunderbolt, Double Kick, and Flame Charge were still there. It's just that none of those would have been effective against Palpitoad compared to the Normal-type ones) .This rule was not as enforced back in the older series, though. As for why some trainers never bother using more of their Pokemons' moves in unofficial battles (such as when being targeted by villains), that could be chalked up to the fact that in most cases it simply isn't necessary.

This episode was pretty decent. Farfetch'd got some nice development and learned a move. However, there were three main things that I thought detracted from this episode.
- Ash and Goh being the only ones there
- Wikstrom's constant crying
- Scyther's evolution being a picture

Episodes like this would be fine in a bubble, but it is with everything else that the Goh issues flare up

It's a bit like the Suicune episode: it would be fine on its own but in context it becomes a lot more infuriating.

I actually said this when the preview came out, that I was bummed Goh was potentially going to steal the limelight away from Farfetch’d, which he did, and the other was that it was going to be spent on Scyther, a Pokemon that would be background fodder - something that I won’t care about, unlike Farfetch’d.
Surprise, surprise, they treat Scyther like a background character considering how little efffort they put into the evolution. Yes, it got a scene of fighting an Escavalier, but that’s it. I really don’t care about Scizor, cause Goh barley uses it, aside from one episode in that Honenn Cup. This just proves why Goh’s Pokemon, bar Sobble and Cinderace, aren’t fun to watch - they get one appearance, they have no function. Greedant is an example, shows up once, evolves in a cliche way, and we never see it again, therefore I don’t care about it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom