• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN057: Love is Koduck

I watched this episode on YouTube; and while it was obvious the translations weren’t 100% accurate, it was mentioned that Gengar was possibly annoyed because it was left behind. If correct, that’s very ironic knowing the writers are both aware and at fault (and will most likely do nothing to change that). :confused: Can anyone confirm?

Also, Chloe’s Eevee really is just the cutest.

Can't confirm, but wouldn't doubt it, with what we've
seen from Farfetch'd, and more recently Scyther in the last episode.

I watched this episode on YouTube; and while it was obvious the translations weren’t 100% accurate, it was mentioned that Gengar was possibly annoyed because it was left behind. If correct, that’s very ironic knowing the writers are both aware and at fault (and will most likely do nothing to change that). :confused: Can anyone confirm?

Also, Chloe’s Eevee really is just the cutest.

Wouldn't be a surprise, but it can also be a hint from the writers that a Gengar arc is coming up (Which may or may not include Allister)

Duck Side of the Moon made the episode for me.
Ducksideofthemoon.JPG

Although it was a filler, the episode was quite funny and gave us some nice background information on Kikuna. I was surprised how that seemingly ordinary episode managed to be quite entertaining.

First of all, it was kind of understandable Kikuna got somewhat depressed. Having to live in such a small, narrow apartment all alone will definitely affect your mood sooner or later. So, it made perfect sense Kikuna bought some merchandise (strange though it seemed) that reminded her of happier days. I kind of feel sorry that she has to live in that place while all the others seem to have much more freedom (like Ash nd Go) or have a big house to live in (Prof. Sakuragi, Chloe and her family)

I already mentioned the episode was all about Chloe and especially about Kikuna's personal background. Still, there were two special moments that I'd also like to point out:
First, when Chloe imagined how the boys would react to her asking for help: Go acting like the typical know-it-all and Ash being all hyped up when it comes to his Pokemon. It perfectly described those two :LOL: Well done!
Second, that priceless moment when they had to realize it was just Psyduck Kukuna was so desperately looking for (Admittedly, judging from the huge amount of Psyduck merch, you could somehow have expected it, but oh well..) That sure took me by surprise while at the same time it was just hilarious. And let's not forget Chloe's disappointment later on.

Quite an entertaining episode that I didn't expect to turn out like this. It was good entertainment :D (However, I'm not sure if I should be looking forward to next week. So far, those special 2-in-1 episodes have always been pretty weak)

Now I've seen it subbed I can give my thoughts on it. I can totally appreciate that it won't be for everyone because you really do need to be interested in Koharu and/or Kikuna to get much if anything out of it. Fortunately I am, so I really enjoyed it, but I do understand why some found it dull. Just a nice quiet slice-of-life story designed to give more insight into Koharu and Kikuna as characters. Koharu has gotten the spotlight quite a bit recently which is good, but it was nice to get some more character behind Kikuna other than just friendly scientist lady #426.

I laughed at the ending scene although in hindsight it was pretty obviously going to be the outcome. Despite enjoying it quite a bit I can't actually think of all that much to say about it other than it was nice and comfy. I did appreciate that Ash and Goh got just the right amount of screentime to contribute without hogging it, plus they added some comic relief for the people who aren't interested in Koharu and Kikuna bonding, and let's be honest, as much as I enjoyed their sleepover that alone wouldn't have been enough to it to fill the runtime without Ash and Goh's interludes. Basically everything got just the right amount of screentime.

It's unlikely to make any Top 10 lists, but I liked it and would definitely like to see more like it in the future. B+

I usually don't feel like writing reviews (I don't dislike this series, but I'm usually too lazy to write one I guess), but I have to say I really loved this episode! I thought this was just going to be a forgettable and generic filler so imagine my surprise when it left me with a smile and a heartwarming feeling. It just all felt very wholesome and had a slice-of-life touch to it, which I really enjoy. We ended up learning a bit more about a supporting character we didn't know much about yet, so I thought that was really great (no mention of Chrysa's younger sister that was mentioned in JN029 though, I'd figure this would be an appropriate time given that Chrysa kind of acted like a caring older sister in this episode. But hey, didn't detract from the episode for me).

This episode also really made me like Chloe even more. I always enjoyed her as a supporting character, but I especially enjoyed her in this episode. Perhaps because she got time to shine and Ash and Goh were more in the background. She really deserves more attention and focus. The bond between Chloe and Chrysa I also thought was really great :bulbaLove:

Last, but not least: Psyduck :bulbaLove: I've always loved Psyduck and greatly enjoyed its silliness in OS (now that I think about it, it was somewhat prominently featured in The Bridge Bike Gang, one of the first episodes I ever saw). This Psyduck had a bit of a different personality than other Psyduck we've seen so far, and I really liked that. I knew about the bait-and-switch with Chrysa and the Psyduck Trainer from early reviews here, but it didn't really bother me to be honest. It was made abundantly clear that Chrysa has an obsession with Psyduck so it fit the episode in that regard. Not everything needs a Hollywood ending I guess :wynaut: Chrysa's flashback scene was also really wholesome.

Sometimes the most unassuming episodes end up positively surprising you, and this was definitely that episode for me! I would even go as far to say this is one of my favourite episodes of Journeys/PM2019 so far.

I really liked this one. No complains, really.

Finally found a bait-and-switch that didn't upset me.

Yeah, if you like Koharu (or Kikuna), you probably enjoyed this, and if you don't, you didn't. As was pointed out, there was indeed more "self-aware" moments from the writers (as has been common, especially recently) regarding Gengar, and even Gou catching Pokemon, and both instances hit for me (though if anything comes of the former, I don't know). We learned quite a bit about Koharu, and a little bit about Kikuna, and I appreciated that. And seeing Koharu jump the gun regarding the photo, and her...insistence on Ash/Gou telling her where the male Psyduck trainer was...was fairly funny. Good episode in my book.

I watched the episode let's rewiew!
:bulbaWave: Good Stuff
+ Psyduck
+ Gengar and Sobble cameo
+ Eevee and Chloe cute
+ Chyrsa Backstory
+ Goh didn't catch Lapras
:bulbaFacepalm:Bad Stuff
-
Ash and Goh were pointless
- Most of the episode was boring filler
- Gengar and Sobble were wasted
- This episode was slow paced
- This was an episode between me and my son Grookey
:confused:Questions
~
Psyduck. Appopariate.
~ The next episode looks atrocious
5/10 Filler

Easily one of my favorite episodes in this series. I love the slice-of-life style, especially focusing on an adult for a change. They managed to make the entire plot interesting despite also being really down-to-earth. I also love how they went for a non-romantic outcome instead of having an actual ship shoehorned in it, because that would've made the episode pretty childish.

In fact, that's also why the dynamic with Koharu works so well too, her being a kid it's entirely believable she'd assume Kikuna is interested in the guy, even if it was pretty clear from her flashback that she wasn't. Both characters were written excellently.

It's also nice to see that the writers remember the show takes place in a Japanese-based setting and don't shy away from showing chopsticks, food kiosks and whatnot. There was a time where they tried to make the cultural setting as generic as possible whenever it was a Japanese region.

(Edit: I looked it up and turns out this was written by Omode. Considering she also wrote stuff like the Ash vs Iris breakup and Ash and Serena's "date" episode, it's clear she's got a talent for these more character-driven, dialogue-over-action episodes. Some of her episodes are among my favorites but I never noticed they were written by the same person.)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom