• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Preview JN059: The Lost Sarunori! Who is the Trainer!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Apparently japanese folks are overall pretty upset that Goh will (most likely than not) catch Grookey. I can't confirm if that's true or not since I can't read japanese, but yeah... oof.
What's your source?

Ash’s Badge Cleaner
Reaction score
Okay, time to put on my clown wig, because I have a theory I need to let out. When the new opening premiered, I noticed that in that particular scene where Grookey startled Sobble, Pikachu hit Grookey with the “calm down, calm down” hand motion. I thought, “hmm, if Ash catches Grookey, will Pikachu take on the brotherly role, protecting Grookey and trying to keep it in check whenever it gets a little too hyper or mischievous?” Now, having seen the preview and seeing Grookey somewhat attached to Pikachu (as well as the artwork we got of Pikachu and Grookey putting Ash’s puzzle-face together), I have a sliver of hope. The only counter argument I can think of is Pikachu can still have that brotherly bond with Grookey even while under Goh’s ownership, pretty much like he did with Togepi.

The scans and summary are more Goh-leaning, but the preview is more balanced, so that gives me some hope as well; and if it’s true that none of Goh’s Pokémon will be around, then that gives Ash a chance to step in and protect Grookey from TRio; thus not exactly ruling him out as someone Grookey can show interest in.

As far as Grookey having a trainer, I kinda hope it does turn out to be a gatcha Pokémon, so that the transition from TRio to joining Ash or Goh makes a little more sense. If it belongs to a COTD, I don’t see that trainer just giving it away, especially so easily.

Last edited:
Cutie Pie
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Grookey
Okay, time to put on my clown wig, because I have a theory I need to let out. When the new opening premiered, I noticed that in that particular scene where Grookey startled Sobble, Pikachu hit Grookey with the “calm down, calm down” hand motion. I thought, “hmm, if Ash catches Grookey, will Pikachu take on the brotherly role, protecting Grookey and trying to keep it in check whenever it gets a little too hyper or mischievous?” Now, having seen the preview and seeing Grookey somewhat attached to Pikachu (as well as the artwork we got of Pikachu and Grookey putting Ash’s puzzle-face together), I have a sliver of hope. The only counter argument I can think of is Pikachu can still have that brotherly bond with Grookey even while under Goh’s ownership, pretty much like he did with Togepi.

The scans and summary are more Goh-leaning, but the preview is more balanced, so that gives me some hope as well; and if it’s true that none of Goh’s Pokémon will be around, then that gives Ash a chance to step in and protect Grookey from TRio; thus not exactly ruling him as someone Grookey can show interest in.

As far as Grookey having a trainer, I kinda hope it does turn out to be a gatcha Pokémon, so that the transition from TRio to joining Ash or Goh makes a little more sense. If it belongs to a COTD, I don’t see that trainer just giving it away, especially so easily.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Yeah. The only hope left for Ash getting Grookey is that the cast list does not include a single Pokemon owned by Goh. But I still think that Goh will get it anyways.

Reaction score
So, given that this Grookey is already owned, is it not possible that this is a similar situation to Gible back in Sinnoh where this one is its premier but another one down the line is the one caught?

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Don’t worry. I won’t let you be delusional alone. We still have a fighting chance :bulbaLove:
I personally stick to my own expectations. I can't wait until this debate can finally be laid to rest next week.

Cutie Pie
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Grookey
How will Goh save Grookey from TR without Pokemon? I think Ash might defeat them and then Grookey impressed and will slash Goh’s face. Please let Ash catch it. My monkey son needs some love.

Reaction score
I find it weird that people want the Japanese Writers somehow to remember every single thing America considers as racist (there is a lot). People aren't even this diplomatic in Nordic Countries lol.

Who Loves and wants to be Loved
Reaction score
Today marks the day Every Final Stage Starter has made their Debut in the Anime.

My Sons! I Love Them! :bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove:
(Yes I know that last one technically isn't Rillaboom, but still)

IMG_20210305_101920-1.jpg
IMG_20210305_103010.jpg
IMG_20210305_101916.jpg

Last edited:
Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Reaction score
Rilaboom is going to be hard to animate every single episode. Won't appear that much.

Reaction score
What do you mean by that?
Rillaboom is a huge Pokemon. Takes up a lot of space in each scene. It isn't a humanoid or metroid Pokemon say as the other Galar Final Evolutions such as Cinderace & Inteleon. There is a reason why Axew never fully evolved into Haxorous in Best Wishes. Iwane Masaaki said on his blog that Axew never fully evolved as Haxorous because Haxorous would be hard to animate every single week. This is also why Ash's Boldore never evolved into Gigalith and why Torracat evolved into Incineroar only at the end of Sun & Moon. Because its hard to draw the Pokemon every single week. I also suspect it is why Guzma & Golisopod made their debut very late. Golisopod is also a hard Pokemon to animate.

Reaction score
This Series seriously needs something to salvage itself. Even Twitter is becoming angry at this Series now on this controversy. It's going to be a very dangerous time in the fandom if this escalates. We are looking at another BW 2.0. I really really really hope the Gary & Iris Episodes are received well for the sake of everyone's well-being.

Status
Not open for further replies.