• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN059: The Lost Sarunori! Who is the Trainer!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that Goh getting Sobble worked when I saw its capture episode, so the same could happen if he does end up with Grookey. Part of the problem is also just how bad the marketing has been for his series since teasing Grookey for so long to not have a clear answer until possibly this point doesn't help matters either. That was a huge reason why there was such backlash for Goh getting Sobble too.

With Sobble we didn't know Goh going to catch it until literally a week before it's Debut Episode aired. Up until that point all signs were pointing towards Ash.

At least with Grookey they prepared us for this a couple of weeks in advance with this summary and also showing us a picture of Grookey in Goh's Arms a few weeks ago

With Sobble we didn't know Goh going to catch it until literally a week before it's Debut Episode aired. Up until that point all signs were pointing towards Ash.

At least with Grookey they prepared us for this a couple of weeks in advance with this summary and also showing us a picture of Grookey in Goh's Arms a few weeks ago
Yeah. But like I didn't mind Sobble that much since Ash got KAMON and I like G-Fetch'd more than Sobble

Rockruff got proper development

That’s is subjective.

Froakie spent 50 episodes as a Froakie. Same goes with Litten. And Froakie spent 50 episodes as a Frogadier. And Litten spent 90 episodes as a Torracat.
Chimchar spent 120 episodes as a Chimchar.

I don’t see your point. Time spent in a certain stage doesn’t always make it good. Chimchar and Grovyle are the perfect example of this.

That was a huge reason why there was such backlash for Goh getting Sobble too.
I got really dissapointed when Goh caught it cuz at that point, Ash getting a starter would've been perfect. OR maybe not considering Riolu's arc had just began, but it would've been better than over +/- 60 episodes after the first one. But what really got me was that all the previews we had showed Ash with Sobble. Then we only got the truth when it came out. No wonder people lashed out.

I have a feeling the writers/marketing team regrets those previews a bit tbh

That’s is subjective.
Rockruff development<Riolu's development
I don’t see your point. Time spent in a certain stage doesn’t always make it good. Chimchar and Grovyle are the perfect example of this.
Whaaat? Chimchar was an ace! An ace! IT SWEPT THE GYMS!! And Grovyle was an epic badass lizard! Anyway, they rushed through Scorbunny they didn't care for it.

So what was the point of this?
EqkyZs0VQAcnQ9H.jpeg

Well considering Inteleon and Rillaboom both have G-Max Forms that are going to have to be showcased sooner or later I think there's still a chance both Sobble and Grookey may still end up Evolving.

Because with Goh having all 3 Starters, there's gonna need to be someone to show all 3 of their G-Max Forms.

Not to mention that there's still the fact that Drizzile hasn't made a proper debut yet (No. A 2 second cameo on a projector screen does not count as a Debut)

And Even if you bring Hop into the equation, there's still the matter of the Grookey Line still needing to be shown off.
Not gonna lie, if they gave him all 3 starters and let them evolve completely, something that has never happened in the series despite starters having a much more active role just to show off the G-Max forms, forms suited for battle when he isn’t even a battler, that may become the straw that breaks the camel’s back in which I start to hate Go.

At that point they will have broken numerous traditions of the anime:

Main characters allowed to have a fossil Pokémon
Main characters capturing legendary Pokémon
All 3 starters fully evolved

All of those would have been done not for anything meaningful like past series but just to further shill Pokémon Go.

Kinda weird to also show Grookey dancing with 2 of Ash's Pokémon in the ED

Tbh I do believe that Grookey was originally intended to go with Ash but for whatever reason this got changed in development. (Possibly because the Grookey Line isn't as popular as the other two Starters Lines)

I just want this series to end at this point lol. I don’t know how many more disappointments I can take. Curse my attachment to Ash. Well, if he’s not getting Grookey, I don’t have a clue what his next capture could be, but hopefully it’s worth it.

In terms of Ash’s battling style, Grookey would have probably been the worst for Ash out of the trio.

Typically, Ash prefers fast Pokemon, and even in those that aren’t quick, like Snorlax, he trains them vigorously to obtain higher levels of speed - Snorlax dodging Nidoqueen’s Hyper Beam at point-blank range at the Johto League, even mentioning how much training he put in to Leavanny’s speed against Sawk.

Ash’s Turtwig was a monster before it evolved, with blistering speed, but after becoming Torterra, Ash had to adapt to a new style with it, and could be the reason for Torterra never winning a fight. We also see faults with Goodra and Melmetal, where again, Ash has to alter his style in accordance to them, leading to mistakes - Bisharp’s Guillotine being an example.

Out of Grookey, Sobble and Scorbunny, I thought Grookey would be the worst to watch, only because it matches Ash’s style the least. Obviously, here’s hoping that isn’t the case now, and randomly gets its hidden ability to utilise Grassy Glide.

Ash does have one “juggernaut” on his team every region though - Muk, Snorlax, Torkoal, Torterra, Boldore, Goodra, Melmetal.
I think if Grookey isn’t caught by Ash, maybe Coalossol would be a decent fit - can be a tank, but also have Steam Engine to match Ash’s style.

I just want this series to end at this point lol. I don’t know how many more disappointments I can take. Curse my attachment to Ash. Well, if he’s not getting Grookey, I don’t have a clue what his next capture could be, but hopefully it’s worth it.
With these writers’ track record with Ash this series, his next capture will probably be nothing. They were presented with the perfect series for Ash to have a rotating team where he caught more than 5 Pokémon but they don’t seem interested in taking advantage of it since they probably find it superfluous with Go, the human capture machine, around.

It’s safe to say Ash will retire after Journeys is finished due to how this dual protagonist approach clearly failed with this Goh bias.
In terms of Ash’s battling style, Grookey would have probably been the worst for Ash out of the trio.

Typically, Ash prefers fast Pokemon, and even in those that aren’t quick, like Snorlax, he trains them vigorously to obtain higher levels of speed - Snorlax dodging Nidoqueen’s Hyper Beam at point-blank range at the Johto League, even mentioning how much training he put in to Leavanny’s speed against Sawk.

Ash’s Turtwig was a monster before it evolved, with blistering speed, but after becoming Torterra, Ash had to adapt to a new style with it, and could be the reason for Torterra never winning a fight. We also see faults with Goodra and Melmetal, where again, Ash has to alter his style in accordance to them, leading to mistakes - Bisharp’s Guillotine being an example.

Out of Grookey, Sobble and Scorbunny, I thought Grookey would be the worst to watch, only because it matches Ash’s style the least. Obviously, here’s hoping that isn’t the case now, and randomly gets its hidden ability to utilise Grassy Glide.

Ash does have one “juggernaut” on his team every region though - Muk, Snorlax, Torkoal, Torterra, Boldore, Goodra, Melmetal.
I think if Grookey isn’t caught by Ash, maybe Coalossol would be a decent fit - can be a tank, but also have Steam Engine to match Ash’s style.
Grookey isn’t even a slow Pokémon and if you wanted to bring up Rillaboom, It’s speed is 85 which is faster than all the Pokémon you mentioned.

Grookey isn’t even a slow Pokémon and if you wanted to bring up Rillaboom, It’s speed is 85 which is faster than all the Pokémon you mentioned.
I know that. I was comparing it to Cinderace and Inteleon, and saying how it matches Ash’s battling style the least out of the three.

If Grookey and Sobble don’t evolve under Goh, it will be a disappointment to say the least. As someone said earlier, this should’ve been a traditional Galar series, keep the PWT concept but have it exclusively Galar-Themed.

...you know, it's actually pretty hilarious, in a sad and twisted way, that the writers are literally making Pokemon fall into Goh's lap while he's sleeping. It's as though the writers think Goh isn't catching enough Pokemon, so they are now trying to have him catch Pokemon in his sleep.

Of course, it's not confirmed yet that Goh would definitely be catching Grookey; but if the writers are going out of their way to establish a bond between the two, my expectations is that Goh will be catching Grookey eventually.

Also not gonna lie, the translated summary from Dephender totally reads like the writers first wrote it, then realized "Oh ****, we forgot to mention Ash!", and so they stuffed in Ash's name near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom