• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN060: Aim to Be a Scallion Master! Charge with Chivalry!!

Alright, so, I do still think there was a bit too much dialogue, but I get why there was (even though this set of episodes has established the Farfetch'd stuff). So, I didn't think we needed that so much, but Ash was great, the battle (while certainly not animated great) was a good-great concept, and the evolution was fantastic. And yes, as someone who likes Gou, and has little issue with the focus he gets...he was a bit too involved this episode post-Bellsprout (which that segment was also great).

I dont think the rivalry between Sirfechted and Gallade will continue,unlike the one with Bea and Lucario. The trainer idk how to feel about him

That's a pity. I wanted to know more about Rinto.....

So, that way ended the 'rivalry' between them......
I put my bet on Rinto, in hopes that he'd return.
The battle animations are still bad, but the dialogue was in point.
Kamon's new devoted attitude is endearing.

Gou was annoying during the battle and in the last scene. Too loud and prone to outbursts.
He started yelling at Rinto, what was happening in the arena was none of his business.
Even Satoshi was astonished, then exasperated, by his overexcitement.
And now the monkey is talking Pokemon into letting themselves be caught.

Last edited:
Boy, haven't seen stretching this bad since the justifications for considering the Alola tournament good

They really need to separate Ash and Go's stories and tell them via two ten-minute segments instead of trying to weld them together in one episode

"Hey, let's take our pokemon to the pokemon center to heal them."
"But you have a housewife that can heal them just fine here and we can show off your other pokemon that nobody remembers exist."
"POKEMON CENTER. NOW. BECAUSE THE SCRIPT SAID SO. ALSO WHERE DID YOUR RANK INCREASE COME FROM?!"

I know we have been through this already, and is sorta of off-topic, but my guys,I have to confess that everytime I see Grookey having fun with Pikachu my heart breaks a bit, cuz I just keep thinking how Ash could've captured it.

*voice crack* I swear I'm over it tho.
I mean...it could've gone to Koharu and then we'd only ever see it once every 30 episodes or so

Don't mind me I'm just here paying tribute

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.36.09 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.38.47 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.18.52 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.19.37 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.47.34 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.50.16 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.52.30 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.02.15 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.08.07 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.15.58 pm.png

I have way more but I can only put 10 in here

It's been a good run champ. Sirfetch'd will take some time to get used to. Not sure when we'll see you next, but you can bet that I'll be there whenever you do show up. Thanks for being the best Journeys mon rn by a landslide.

It feels weird that people were complaining about Sobble being a mere decoration on Gou's shoulder in the past dozens of episodes, and now that Grookey not only does something after it's captured but also contributes to one of Gou's captures, people are now complaining about that too. What exactly were you guys hoping for? Do ya'll also want Grookey to become another decorative trophy glued to Gou's shoulder? Would you guys have preferred if this episode was another one of those filler episodes so that the Grookey/Bellsprout moment wouldn't have "detracted" from the episode's focus?

The only sentiment that I somewhat agree with regarding the dislike towards the Grookey/Bellsprout moment in this episode is that Ash doesn't get as much focus in Gou episodes compared to vice versa, but even then, that's more of an issue with the series in general rather than this specific episode. Plus, just because I want Ash to get more focus in Gou's episodes, that doesn't mean I dislike it when Gou gets his own moments in Ash's episodes. Gou appearing less in Ash's episodes won't automatically make Ash appear in Gou's episodes more often. That's not how it works, so I'm perfectly fine with Gou or his Pokemon getting character development in Ash's episodes as long as it's more than just some random battle-less/bond-less captures.

This episode showed Grookey demonstrating its ability to heal Pokemon, and it also made friends with a Bellsprout in the process, so personally speaking, I quite enjoyed that scene even if it might've taken a bit of screentime from Ash's battle later on. I'll write a more proper review of the episode later, just wanted to get this off of my chest.

It feels weird that people were complaining about Sobble being a mere decoration on Gou's shoulder in the past dozens of episodes, and now that Grookey not only does something after it's captured but also contributes to one of Gou's captures, people are now complaining about that too. What exactly were you guys hoping for? Do ya'll also want Grookey to become another decorative trophy glued to Gou's shoulder? Would you guys have preferred if this episode was another one of those filler episodes so that the Grookey/Bellsprout moment wouldn't have "detracted" from the episode's focus?
It is because Goh spent 2 mins catching something in an Ash ep. I wouldn’t mind it if it was filler or Goh focused

It is because Goh spent 2 mins catching something in an Ash ep. I wouldn’t mind it if it was filler or Goh focused
IMO, the main focus of that scene wasn't Gou catching a new Pokemon, it was Grookey demonstrating what it could do with its ability and making a new friend in the process. Plus, this is one of the few captures where Gou actually tried bonding with the Pokemon first instead of immediately catching it (yes, it was Grookey that bonded with it, but hey, same thing happened with Rowlet and Meltan), so yeah, I'm fine with that scene even if it happened in an Ash episode.

IMO, the main focus of that scene wasn't Gou catching a new Pokemon, it was Grookey demonstrating what it could do with its ability and making a new friend in the process. Plus, this is one of the few captures where Gou actually tried bonding with the Pokemon first instead of immediately catching it (yes, it was Grookey that bonded with it, but hey, same thing happened with Rowlet and Meltan), so yeah, I'm fine with that scene even if it happened in an Ash episode.
Still took time.

@VetProf pretty sure the main issue with the capture isn't what Grookey did but the fact that Goh continues to get dedicated screentime in Ash's episodes, which are already rare nowadays and given how short farfetchd's arc has been, those minutes wasted on unrelated or pointless captures don't help. it also ain't helping that Ash is completely sidelined or just treated as a gag in vice versa situations.

I'd prefer if both only get focus in episodes focusing on them.
Yes, that scene showed a bit of the monkey's personality. But at the end it didn't add anything to the episode and felt out of place.

@VetProf pretty sure the main issue with the capture isn't what Grookey did but the fact that Goh continues to get dedicated screentime in Ash's episodes, which are already rare nowadays and given how short farfetchd's arc has been, those minutes wasted on unrelated or pointless captures don't help. it also ain't helping that Ash is completely sidelined or just treated as a gag in vice versa situations.
Again, I've already acknowledged the disparity in the amount of screentime that the boys get in each other's focus episodes, I'm just saying that the main focus in that scene should've been Grookey, and yet many people seem to be more interested in complaining about its trainer instead.

Look at it this way. If Grookey was caught by Ash instead of Gou, then I reckon there'd be significantly less people complaining about Grookey getting a couple minutes of screentime in this episode. And yet, all these people who've been patiently waiting for the monkey to make its appearance in the anime, all these people who are worried that the monkey might suffer the same "shoulder warmer" treatment that Sobble did, are now complaining that the monkey is getting 2 minutes of quality screentime in an Ash episode that happened immediately after the episode that the monkey got caught... just because Gou owns the monkey instead of Ash.

Yes, I get it, less screentime on other stuff = more potential screentime for the battle, but honestly, I think the battle got enough time allocated for it considering that it's a 1v1.

The only sentiment that I somewhat agree with regarding the dislike towards the Grookey/Bellsprout moment in this episode is that Ash doesn't get as much focus in Gou episodes compared to vice versa, but even then, that's more of an issue with the series in general rather than this specific episode. Plus, just because I want Ash to get more focus in Gou's episodes, that doesn't mean I dislike it when Gou gets his own moments in Ash's episodes. Gou appearing less in Ash's episodes won't automatically make Ash appear in Gou's episodes more often. That's not how it works, so I'm perfectly fine with Gou or his Pokemon getting character development in Ash's episodes as long as it's more than just some random battle-less/bond-less captures.

This episode showed Grookey demonstrating its ability to heal Pokemon, and it also made friends with a Bellsprout in the process, so personally speaking, I quite enjoyed that scene even if it might've taken a bit of screentime from Ash's battle later on. I'll write a more proper review of the episode later, just wanted to get this off of my chest.
This kinda feels like a bit of a strawman here. When it comes to the complaints of Go here, it was about him taking up time in an Ash episode despite it never being the case in reverse, something they still refuse to fix. Either give them both focus in one another’s episodes or don’t focus on the other in an episode that isn’t theirs. Not even sure where the Grookey complaint here came from considering that it certainly wasn’t a prominent issue discussed here. If anything, that’s more of a wrong place, wrong time than anything else.

This kinda feels like a bit of a strawman here. When it comes to the complaints of Go here, it was about him taking up time in an Ash episode despite it never being the case in reverse, something they still refuse to fix. Either give them both focus in one another’s episodes or don’t focus on the other in an episode that isn’t theirs. Not even sure where the Grookey complaint here came from considering that it certainly wasn’t a prominent issue discussed here. If anything, that’s more of a wrong place, wrong time than anything else.
If this episode was like the Korrina episode or the first Bea episode where Gou just unceremoniously gets some new entries added to his Pokedex without any actual development for his character or his Pokemon (while simultaneously taking up time that could've been spent on a 2v2 battle), then yes, I agree that the usual Gou complaints would apply for this episode. And yet, even though the focus of the short scene in this episode was Grookey (a Pokemon that was caught in the previous episode), and the main focus of this episode was a 1v1 that I feel had ample time dedicated for it, some people still felt like Gou was "stealing" screentime away from Ash in this episode.

If this episode was like the Korrina episode or the first Bea episode where Gou just unceremoniously gets some new entries added to his Pokedex without any actual development for his character or his Pokemon (while simultaneously taking up time that could've been spent on a 2v2 battle), then yes, I agree that the usual Gou complaints would apply for this episode. And yet, even though the focus of the short scene in this episode was Grookey (a Pokemon that was caught in the previous episode), and the main focus of this episode was a 1v1 that I feel had ample time dedicated for it, some people still felt like Gou was "stealing" screentime away from Ash in this episode.
Here's some questions. What does the scene contribute to the episode? Besides showing off Grooky's personality, what does it have to do with the episode? What does the random Bellsprout who will most likely just be a background element have to do with the episode? If the Bellsprout or Grooky had a major role on the episode, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But they don't. So the scene just feels out of place in the episode.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom