• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN062: Damp Jimereon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must every episode thread immediately devolve into a negative echo chamber? At this point I’m pretty confident that there’s nothing they could do that wouldn’t be met with anger and complaints that go beyond reasonable criticisms.

Personally, I really enjoy Sobble’s character and the focus and development it has received so far. I actually don’t think it will evolve here, though. Something about the descriptions just make me feel like it will decide not to.
While it is a shame that these discussions tend to come with a negative viewpoint, in the end, that’s pretty much the consequence of the writers basically just doubling down on the problems that are had with the series rather than improving on them. And they show no signs of changing that any time soon.

As for Sobble, I genuinely believe that it’ll evolve here. While previous sagas tended to throw us curveballs, with this one, whenever they give us these kinds of spoilers with Go involved, they tend to be true. In fact, I can’t actually think of a time that they misdirected the audience when Go was involved.

While it is a shame that these discussions tend to come with a negative viewpoint, in the end, that’s pretty much the consequence of the writers basically just doubling down on the problems that are had with the series rather than improving on them. And they show no signs of changing that any time soon.
No. It’s a consequence of people using hyperbolic, reductive, repetitive, and/or dismissive language to get their points across. Criticism isn’t inherently negative. In fact I do agree with some of the issues I’ve seen raised. But it’s not the writers’ fault that some people don’t know how to show restraint or civility. Though, in fairness, this is mostly about the atmosphere in general and not necessarily just this thread.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They’re not wrong and neither am I; it’s subjective.
Just say you’re not a fan
So I saw you talk about it for some time now, but your posts give me the impression that you believe art is subjective, it's not. Personal opinion doesn't change what is provably in a piece of art, and I think these fellows can explain this a lot better than I can.

No. It’s a consequence of people using hyperbolic, reductive, repetitive, and/or dismissive language to get their points across. Criticism isn’t inherently negative. In fact I do agree with some of the issues I’ve seen raised. But it’s not the writers’ fault that some people don’t know how to show restraint or civility. Though, in fairness, this is mostly about the atmosphere in general and not necessarily just this thread.
And how do you think it makes people feel when they're berated and a mod says they lack civility and restraint because they've made exxagarated statements? Can't I reverse this accusation and say that I feel you are being needlesly negative about what people say?

Courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

cjy4Ee8.jpg

Go's Messon evolves in the episode airing April 16th?!

Messon admires Inteleon so much it has been training every single day! Has the time for its evolution finally arrived?! Just what in the world IS that Pokémon...?!

MESSON WILL BECOME THE INTELEON IT ADMIRES SO MUCH?!
It will no longer be the weepy mess that is Messon?!

Go's timid and always weepy Messon... finally evolves into THAT Pokémon?!

Messon really admires Inteleon!
*Messon has met an Inteleon before.
*It strongly admires Inteleon, which is its final evolved form!

Idk how I feel about sobble evolving now. Feels like it hasn't done enough to really earn it's evolution. Kinda like the scorbunny/ Raboot or the Riolu evolution.

There are literal hundreds of comments that I read through in this section every day. I reply to maybe 5% of them. And seeing as how I posted one positive thing about Sobble and was immediately met with 3 quoted replies about how I was wrong and it’s nothing more than a glorified shoulder warmer, I don’t see how you could blame me.

Exhibit A. Cause who said all of this? These are your words, not mine.

Magazine scans and descriptions have been misleading before. Often purposefully. How do we know that Drizzile is Goh’s? Of course it’s possible. But something just tells me it might not be evolving here.
To say you were “immediately met with 3 quoted replies about how [you] were wrong” makes it seem like you were involved in some unprovoked ambush, when in reality it was you that jumped on my opinion. You can like Sobble and think highly of it. That’s not an issue; however, it is an exaggeration to say Sobble has done anything significant.

So I saw you talk about it for some time now, but your posts give me the impression that you believe art is subjective, it's not. Personal opinion doesn't change what is provably in a piece of art, and I think these fellows can explain this a lot better than I can.
What is this take even. Art is definitely subjective, that's what makes it art. There are objective elements to it, of course, and those can help properly assess a work of art, but you absolutely can't take the text at face value considering context and subtext are significantly more important to the viewing experience (in the case of a show).

What is this take even. Art is definitely subjective, that's what makes it art. There are objective elements to it, of course, and those can help properly assess a work of art, but you absolutely can't take the text at face value considering context and subtext are significantly more important to the viewing experience (in the case of a show).
So is Sobble being a shoulder decoration verifiable through what it does in the show or some deep thematic subtext and some random guy's feelings?

And jesus christ, it really feels like no one responding to my post has actually watched those videos. Long man bad...?

So is Sobble being a shoulder decoration verifiable through what it does in the show or some deep thematic subtext and some random guy's feelings?

And jesus christ, it really feels like no one responding to my post has actually watched those videos. Long man bad...?
What are you even implying?

The shoulder decoration claim is explicitly "some random guy's feelings", if you were trying to objectively define Sobble's role you wouldn't use that kinda language in the first place. You could say that it hasn't had a major role consistently and it would be significantly more accurate, but saying that on itself is still pretty meaningless unless you add value to that claim. Sobble having a minor role and having development off screen could be completely acceptable for some since the lil guy was never meant to be a major character in their eyes, while to others it might be the most outrageous thing in the world because they added some arbitrary meaning to the words "Starter Pokémon" that ties with some expectations that have to be met.

Also, I watched the first video before replying. I'm not watching the latter two, though. I don't have 2+ hours to spare, and tbh, the little I've seen of MauLer has honestly been pretty unproductive.

Somehow they managed to top Scorbunny's rushed and arguably underserved evolutions? I mean, damn...

The fact that Sobble didn't do anything besides looking cute and doing gags, had a singular episode about it after like 20+ episodes after being captured, and now it's evolving???

Ooof...
To be honest, Sobble at least has some kind of endgoal motivating it to evolve. Scorbunny’s was random as hell.

Though one mistake doesn’t justify another, so... yeah, same limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom