• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN062: Damp Jimereon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sobble having a minor role and having development off screen could be completely acceptable for some since the lil guy was never meant to be a major character in their eyes, while to others it might be the most outrageous thing in the world because they added some arbitrary meaning to the words "Starter Pokémon" that ties with some expectations that have to be met.
But the argument wouldn't be about how they feel about Sobble's screentime, but instead about how it was handled. It doesn't matter in the conversation if they feel in any way because of any preconcieved notions - that's up on to them. It's a completelly diffirent conversation.

What are you even implying?
That was poor wording on my part...
What I meant to say is 'what did Sobble do on screen, in how many episodes it appeared in, what was its character development and so on and so on, are those things verifiable through someone's feelings or what provably happens in the show?'
You could say that it hasn't had a major role consistently and it would be significantly more accurate, but saying that in itself is still pretty meaningless unless you add value to that claim.
Being a meaningless claim does not absolve it from being objective. To be objective simply means it's based on the text of the show. It doesn't matter how accurate the claim is either, if it's not influenced by feelings, it is objective.

In fact, Evan was actually called out for making the same assumption...

1616165198178.png

To be objective means solely to be based on information. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I watched the first video before replying. I'm not watching the latter two, though. I don't have 2+ hours to spare, and tbh, the little I've seen of MauLer has honestly been pretty unproductive.
That's really nice to hear. What did you think? Evan has really grown on me because he's very respectfull.

How is Mauler unproductive, though? He always takes time to elaborate on his points, supports it with as much evidence as he possibly can, talks about everything from as many points of view as he can, he's the very antithesis of being unproductive, he's a very substantive critic.

Attachments

• 1616165183324.png
    1616165183324.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 35
Somehow they managed to top Scorbunny's rushed and arguably underserved evolutions? I mean, damn...

The fact that Sobble didn't do anything besides looking cute and doing gags, had a singular episode about it after like 20+ episodes after being captured, and now it's evolving???

Ooof...
I still don't think this tops Scorbunny's Evolutions.

At the very least we knew Sobble's Evolution was coming.

There were multiple hints of it being dropped

-Sobble's appearance rate rapidly decreasing since the DD Arc

-Sobble being absent from the 2021 Pokémon Calendar

-Sobble's deep infatuation admiration of Inteleon

-Ever since that Episode aired Sobble's has been shown doing nothing except it's Hide-and-seek Training (On-screen)

-Goh catching Grookey
(It seems pretty clear to me now that the only reason they gave Grookey to Goh was so that Sobble would no longer have to be the cutesy shoulder Mon)

Rushed as it may be, you can't say it was impossible to see this coming from a mile away.

Scorbunny's Evolution came right the f*ck out of nowhere.
It got angry at Gou one day, and decide to Evolve...Out of retaliation???
There wasn't any hint or build up to Scorbunny's Evolution

To say you were “immediately met with 3 quoted replies about how [you] were wrong” makes it seem like you were involved in some unprovoked ambush, when in reality it was you that jumped on my opinion. You can like Sobble and think highly of it. That’s not an issue; however, it is an exaggeration to say Sobble has done anything significant.
No? That’s just what you extrapolated. I didn’t “jump on your opinion”, I literally just gave my own lol. I’m failing to see anywhere in my two replies to you where I said anything but my thoughts. In fact, if you read them, I actually said that Sobble hadn’t had any significant accomplishments but that it didn’t need them for me to enjoy its character and consider it to be significant.

No? That’s just what you extrapolated. I didn’t “jump on your opinion”, I literally just gave my own lol. I’m failing to see anywhere in my two replies to you where I said anything but my thoughts. In fact, if you read them, I actually said that Sobble hadn’t had any significant accomplishments but that it didn’t need them for me to enjoy its character and consider it to be significant.
Your argument/opinion is rooted in the fact that you, personally, like Goh’s Sobble; therefore, you automatically find its presence significant. It hasn’t done anything to make me feel anything but indifferent about it and its upcoming evolution. Your thoughts are your thoughts, but it doesn’t negate my own and what the show has shown us to make me feel the way I do.

Honestly I feel like the Writer's initially didn't have any plans to evolve Sobble, which is why it didn't do much at first

But the Writer's then took notice of Inteleon's popularity and then immediately backtracked.

Writer 1: "Wait Inteleon is the most Popular Starter in Japan?!" Holy Crap! Guys we screwed up big time! We gotta get it on the Main cast as quickly as possible! But what are we going to do?!"

Writer 2: "Should we quickly rush out another Evolution Sir? It's just a kid's show. No one will care right?"

Writers 1: "YOU ABSOLUTE GENIUS! Here! Take the keys to my house and a new promotion!"

~ The Writers at some point probably

Honestly I feel like the Writer's initially didn't have any plans to evolve Sobble, which is why it didn't do much at first

But the Writer's then took notice of Inteleon's popularity and then immediately backtracked.

Writer 1: "Wait Inteleon is the most Popular Starter in Japan?!" Holy Crap! Guys we screwed up big time! We gotta get it on the Main cast as quickly as possible! But what are we going to do?!"

Writer 2: "Should we quickly rush out another Evolution Sir? It's just a kid's show. No one will care right?"

Writers 1: "YOU ABSOLUTE GENIUS! Here! Take the keys to my house and a new promotion!"

I have said it a few times before, but I do have a feeling that they regret not giving it to Ash and making it his current ace. Inteleon is WILDLY popular in Japan and fares pretty well everywhere else. It's just a gut feeling tho. But the fact that Sobble is evolving with pretty much minimal buildup seems,,, a bit sus if you ask me.

But if it's true, I'm cackling that it came back to bite them in the butt after that stunt they pulled with making us think Ash was gonna catch it. Karma never fails.

Your argument/opinion is rooted in the fact that you, personally, like Goh’s Sobble; therefore, you automatically find its presence significant. It hasn’t done anything to make me feel anything but indifferent about it and its upcoming evolution. Your thoughts are your thoughts, but it doesn’t negate my own and what the show has shown us to make me feel the way I do.
Well considering I never said anything to the contrary regarding your feelings, I am glad we are able to agree.

But you— Okay :wynaut:
I mean, I didn’t, but if you see something that says anything to the contrary feel free to point it out.
Anyways, I actually do think Sobble will evolve here the more I look at it...it doesn’t really give me the same misleading feel as other magazine previews have. Personally I don’t find it rushed, but I will admit I’m going to miss Sobble’s character traits.

Honestly, I'm fine with Sobble evolving. It can get pretty repetitive and predictable when the starters on the main cast never evolve so they can keep their marketability. Is it still totally earned? No, but I can accept this one a little more easily than I could Scorbunny's, which felt outright rushed. But it's become pretty clear that this series isn't going to put much time or energy into the Pokémon's development, so oh well.

My biggest issue is that the preview made it seem like Drizzile is going to be moody and ignore Goh...basically a total repeat of Raboot. I'm honestly hoping that was a fakeout, because that is lame. It's bad enough to not properly develop the Pokémon; it's worse to give them copy and paste personalities and issues for Goh to deal with.

As far as I've read in here Gou barely battles (someone please correct me if that's wrong), how can Messon gain enough experience to evolve then? I'm not against it, actually it's the opposite, but I don't see how that's different from Satoshi's reserves in BW for eg.

As far as I've rad in here Gou barely battles (someone please correct me if that's wrong), how can Messon gain enough experience to evolve then? I'm not against it, actually it's the opposite, but I don't see how that's different from Satoshi's reserves in BW for eg.
This is true. Its rare he actually does battle. It happens, but its still rare.

My biggest issue is that the preview made it seem like Drizzile is going to be moody and ignore Goh...basically a total repeat of Raboot. I'm honestly hoping that was a fakeout, because that is lame. It's bad enough to not properly develop the Pokémon; it's worse to give them copy and paste personalities and issues for Goh to deal with.

I don't think it'll be a repeat of Raboot.

Raboot was Moody but Drizzile's Pokédex Entrees describe it as being very Lazy

Not to mention, Raboot's moodiness stemmed from problems with Gou not understanding it

I Don't think that'll be the case with Drizzile.

The only problems I can see Goh having with Drizzile is getting Drizzile motivated lol

Wait, people.....
Messon being found in random places in some of the latest episodes was not a weird random gag?

I don't think it'll be a repeat of Raboot.

Raboot was Moody but Drizzile's Pokédex Entrees describe it as being very Lazy

Not to mention, Raboot's moodiness stemmed from problems with Gou not understanding it

I Don't think that'll be the case with Drizzile.

The only problems I can see Goh having with Drizzile is getting Drizzile motivated lol
Raboot being moody was because he was a Raboot.

I think you are doing the writers a disservice here. It's not like they suddenly realized that Lucario or Sirfetch'd were popular and so had them evolve.

Sobble has had massive development, from being completely unable to interact with others and crying and hiding at every provocation, to being confident around others and even standing up to TR on its own. He even gets back at Darmanitan.

So many pokemon evolutions are already plot/ emotion based, and for the Galar starters their maturity is directly tied to their evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom