• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN062: Damp Jimereon

Actually, I was enjoying this one more than I initially thought.

They managed to write the evolution in a convincing way, though still I think that another episode focusing on Messon would've been desirable.
Jimereon's depression was well-handled and relatable, it had an unyielding wish that it thought would be fulfilled.

But it all fell flat when they decided to make Gou relate to it because he had similar issues.....
The problem is that there weren't any hints leading to that before, no foreshadowing or a little comment.....
His 'tragic past' just popping out in this episode feels concocted for this plot in order to give him some way to attempt to connect.
Ah, how convenient for him!

Still, Jimereon is endearing and I hope that they develop it more in future episodes.
A good episode, despite that engineered scenario.

just to amend my thoughts from earlier, while I am annoyed that Sobble hadn’t done anything since the Inteleon episode and have problems with the series altogether...

The scene under the stars was very nice, having seen the subtitles, and handled quite maturely - I like the Drizzile didn’t smile of wave at Goh when he checked on it the next morning.

What I really want to see is Drizzile thought about and referred to between now and it’s next focus episode.

I feel some real life Pokémon fans could relate to Goh. I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I used to play on my own at schoolyards sometimes.

His 'tragic past' just popping out in this episode feels concocted for this plot in order to give him some way to attempt to connect.
It's not really all that tragic. I can actually somewhat relate to that kind of behavior.

I feel some real life Pokémon fans could relate to Goh. I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I used to play on my own at schoolyards sometimes.
I used to spent time on my own too, but that was because I disliked people.
I'm still hard to get along and very awkward, at least I try to interact with or understand others now.
But I am unable to relate to Gou in this case; I would if the writers gave us foreshadowing, but no it was so sudden.
It's not really all that tragic. I can actually somewhat relate to that kind of behavior.
I was making fun of its nature.
It's so contrived and made up by the creators, just for Gou to have any chance to try to connect to Jimereon.
You couldn't have guessed that that was the case until they dropped it in a overdone way.

It's so contrived and made up by the creators, just for Gou to have any chance to try to connect to Jimereon.
You couldn't have guessed that that was the case until they dropped it in a overdone way.
Goh having a hard time to interact with people is something that's been established many times throughout Journeys. It feels natural to me and not like something that was just made up or exaggerated for this episode.

I believe that Drizzile will evolve once
Ash catches another Pokemon that he can also Evolve.

Just noticing a pattern regarding Ash and Gou's major Pokémon evolving.
Drizzile was only 2 episodes after Sirfetch'd, and he was only 3 episodes after Scizor

Ash no longer has any Pokemon he can evolve. And only Arceus knows what's coming next.
But I suspect Ash will catch something he can develop that can be "synonymous" with Gou's future Inteleon

I believe that Drizzile will evolve once
Ash catches another Pokemon that he can also Evolve.

Just noticing a pattern regarding Ash and Gou's major Pokémon evolving.
Drizzile was only 2 episodes after Sirfetch'd, and he was only 3 episodes after Scizor

Ash no longer has any Pokemon he can evolve. And only Arceus knows what's coming next.
But I suspect Ash will catch something he can develop that can be "synonymous" with Gou's future Inteleon
Maybe Piplup for Ash

All those fast evolving pokemon from Goh makes sense with how easy it is now within the games i mean Exp candies everywhere.. He also serves for the Pokemon Go/Home part of pokemon.........Wait thats the reason he is called GoH Go+H=Home...Anyway the episode was not too bad like the previous one i mean plusle and minum Really?

Also fixed the annoying problem of trade thieves...I now simulate a switch on my pc and generate them there with the correct metadata and stuff like that to make them legit..It then trades by local communication by a extra wireless usb adapter...

Last edited:
Also fixed the annoying problem of trade thieves...I now simulate a switch on my pc and generate them there with the correct metadata and stuff like that to make them legit..It then trades by local communication by a extra wireless usb adapter...
That's not really a subject for this thread.

All those fast evolving pokemon from Goh makes sense with how easy it is now within the games i mean Exp candies everywhere.. He also serves for the Pokemon Go/Home part of pokemon.........Wait thats the reason he is called GoH Go+H=Home...Anyway the episode was not too bad like the previous one i mean plusle and minum Really?
Not really especially considering that Go doesn’t even do any of the things that would be required to give candies. Also his name has nothing to do with Home as the H in his name only exists in the English version of it.

Great episode, really touching ending and I loved seeing more of the day-to-day of the Pokémon around the lab.
His backstory feels more contrived now when you remember just how easily he opened to Ash without much issue
Goh showed with Tokio as well that he quickly opens up to others that are as crazy about Pokémon as him. Ash has the benefit of the Lugia and Bulbasaur episodes that I assume Goh's classmates can't compare to.
- That has to be the worst and most rushed evolution I have ever seen in my life. Raboot honey, you have an rival now. Seriously, 25 episodes where Sobble didn't do anything of value, a single focus episode, shot down an berry (??) and evolved??? Dang the bar is LOW.
I didn't have a problem with it and think the small unnoticed action fits with the secret spy development Sobble has been going through. Like you said here:
I also believe they were aware at the time, but I do think it's because, if they were just Gastly and Dratini when caught, development would need to be more ''obvious'' and would need to be bigger, and also cover multiple episodes, since in the anime world, Pokemon, at least like, 99% of the time, evolve physically to demonstrate their mental/emotional development.
I think the evolution is just the physical manifestation of Sobble's new confidence.
Actually, I feel as though Goh doesn’t deserve it. Asides from creating Sobble’s fighting style, he never really interacted/trained with Sobble, unlike Ash, where he was constantly involving G.Farfetch’d.
While having Goh around may have been nice, I actually like that this is something that Sobble accomplished for itself, and it fits the theme of Sobble trying to be independent.

I didn't have a problem with it and think the small unnoticed action fits with the secret spy development Sobble has been going through. Like you said here:

I think the evolution is just the physical manifestation of Sobble's new confidence.
But it's not because something is fitting in the context that it also fits narratively-wise. Yes, it fits with the spy theme it's line is based about, but it did so little to evolve that it honestly doesn't feels deserved enough. One episode of it having an ''OOOHHHH :love:'' moment over an Inteleon followed by 8 episodes where it didn't do anything on-screen, rolled around some bushes, shot down an berry and evolved. That's not compelling enough.

Can you imagine the emotional weight this ep would carry if Sobble actualy spend over like, 15-20 episodes actually battling against the TRio, or helping Goh out, being corageous and facing threats instead of disappearing, maybe seeing other Pokémon evolving, and after almost busting it's back, working as hard as it possibly could, it then evolved in Drizzile and saw it's reflection? It wold feel even more heartbreaking seeing it's disappointment if it had went down like this. But ofc Journeys had to take the lamest way and give Sobble an ticket to Off-Screen Land.

It's not an bad episode, but it could be an arc with multiple episodes instead of pratically just 2. At least the writers had the decency of not having it solved in one episode. But I honestly think it could've been done a thousand times better.

Secondary cast from the ending credits:
Kairos: Shin-ichiro Miki
Wanpachi: Inuko Inuyama
Heracros: Yūji Ueda
Eievui: Kei Shindō
Sarunori: Hana Takeda
Nidoran (F): Risa Shimizu
Kikuna: Sayaka Senbongi
Renji: Noriaki Kanze
Go's Smartphone Rotom: Marina Aicholtz
Narration: Kenyu Horiuchi

Can you imagine the emotional weight this ep would carry if Sobble actualy spend over like, 15-20 episodes actually battling against the TRio, or helping Goh out, being corageous and facing threats instead of disappearing, maybe seeing other Pokémon evolving, and after almost busting it's back, working as hard as it possibly could, it then evolved in Drizzile and saw it's reflection? It wold feel even more heartbreaking seeing it's disappointment if it had went down like this.
I get where you are coming from, and while I agree that that may be the case for several other Pokémon, I don't think it works as well for the Sobble line.

Sobble has so much anxiety and insecurity built into its species, that by the time it is confident enough to consistently face down TR without freaking out, it would be acting very un-Sobble-like and should have evolved.

I think the anime is just matching what many have said about the Galar starters having very fixed character types.

It would have been nice for Sobble to be a more consistent presence after the DD arc, and be active in more plots even when timid though.

I get where you are coming from, and while I agree that that may be the case for several other Pokémon, I don't think it works as well for the Sobble line.

Sobble has so much anxiety and insecurity built into its species, that by the time it is confident enough to consistently face down TR without freaking out, it would be acting very un-Sobble-like and should have evolved.

I think the anime is just matching what many have said about the Galar starters having very fixed character types.

It would have been nice for Sobble to be a more consistent presence after the DD arc, and be active in more plots even when timid though.
I see your point, but at the same time, a Pokémon CAN evolve emotionally without an evolution tho: it gradually (which is why I put an 20 episodes range in my comment) would start to get more confident, so it wouldn't seem too drastic of a change.

The Pokémon having pretty ''fixed'' personalities can be an good thing, but it can also be limitading if not used well enough.

It was too sudden of an evolution with barely no buildup. More episodes would've been ideal.

I liked that the issue wasn't necessarily completely solved yet. They're clearly not rushing it.
As you tend to say: "don't count your Torchic before they hatch".

Given JN formula, I'm pretty sure they'll resolve the depression with the evolution itself given how the two are connected in the first place, with minimal (if not at all) appearances or mentions in between... literally since Drizzile can actually turn invisible. That is to say, it'll only be a rushed one episode deal and sadly may involve a poorly utilized TRio.

This is made even more evident with all the comparison to Metapod being 'hardened' in preparation of its next evolution, and Goh giving Drizzile space.

Last edited:
So I've been thinking,

It's obviously no secret that Drizzile will
reach it's fully Evolved form at some point. (Because Why wouldn't it?)

And we know that the reason it's Evolutions are happening in the first place is because Inteleon is quite popular with the Japanese crowd right?

With that mind, combined with the fact that they more or less threw Drizzile onto a bus (presumably until they're ready to Evolve it again?) makes me wonder if they'll have Inteleon appear more often to compensate?
(And the writers would have no excuse to not do anything with Inteleon)

So I've been wondering, once Inteleon gets here, how they'll figure out a balance between it and Cinderace's screentime?

Granted this would be the 4th time we've had 2 Fully Evolved Starters on the main cast

Sceptile - Blaziken
Torterra - Infernape
Primarina - Incineroar

In Primarina and Blaziken's cases they were owned by separate Trainers so they didn't really have a problem overlapping with Incineroar and Sceptile respectively.

But Infernape and Torterra? Good Arceus, having those two being own by the same Trainer was mistake.

Which brings me to my topic
Cinderace and Inteleon are going to be owned by the same Trainer...
Is one of them going to get the Torterra treatment?
I really hope not...
And I don't wanna even think about what'll happen when/if Rillaboom joins the fray.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom