• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN063: Challenge! Pokémon Marine Athletics!!

This is the first episode I’ve watched since JN060. I actually enjoyed it. Dracovish made me nervous, but once it found its footing :sneaky:, I knew it would prosper. I genuinely think Ash would’ve won had Dewgong not created chaos. Chloe’s Eevee really is just the most adorable Pokémon ever.

This episode was enjoyable and I need more or Dracovish just because that derpy Dragon fish is entertaining to watch. Also Goh failing to catch a Gorebyss was great and we need alot more of that too.
Final score: 8.5/10.

I know no one gives a crap but seeing this Updated Intro with Dracovish, Grookey and especially Drizzile joined in smiling really warmed my heart! :bulbaLove:
1619183221511.jpg

And @FinnishPokéFan92 was right about the Dracovish subplot and it using a new move. Looking forward to more from him in the future.

1 Eeveelution down, 7 to go.

I know no one gives a crap but seeing this Updated Intro with Dracovish, Grookey and especially Drizzile joined in smiling really warmed my heart! :bulbaLove:View attachment 143415

Glad for the intro change, am curious what Lucario's next focus arc will be about.

This was a great episode. We got some neat Chloe and Eevee focus, Dracovish finally got to have a major appearance, and even Goh's Pokemon played a role. And all this without anyone's stories getting in the way of each other. It was very seamless.

Chloe's Eevee was adorable as always. Her admiration of Vaporeon was precious, and I really like how she and Chloe are good foils to one another, but I will say that I want this to create a balance rather than Chloe being the only one to influence Eevee: Eevee is definitely the braver and more adventurous of the two, as she is the one who has encouraged Chloe to join Ash and Goh in their adventures a little more, so just like how Chloe wants Eevee to take her time in deciding what she wants to become, I also want Eevee to inspire Chloe to become more confident and willing to try out new things. But all in all, I'm really liking the way these two are being handled so far. Let's hope the writers can keep it up, because if so, this is shaping up to be the best handled MC Eevee.

Now, Ash's Dracovish is an absolute riot. I love how it solved its problem of not being able to swim by simply running along the sea floor. On the other hand, it's a grim reminder of just how horribly screwed up the Galar Fossils' resurrection and anatomy is. Kind of like seeing a pug make those snorty barks: the only reason those poor dogs make those funny noises is because they're literally asphyxiating throughout their lives. I dunno, I love Dracovish's personality, but its existence and presence in the main cast will always have Cara Liss's questionable ethics just conspicuously hanging overhead. But either way, I'm just glad the poor thing finally got a major role. And it even got to reveal Fishious Rend!

Goh's Dewgong is weird. Seeing how he caused Ash and co. to lose the race (even though Dracovish by all rights should have won it), and by essentially assaulting some poor Huntail that wasn't doing anything no less, I should probably dislike him. Yet strangely, I don't. I don't like him either, mind, but his antics and behavior didn't bother me nearly as much as they probably should have. It's weird.

Anyway, I found it interesting how Chloe's Eevee was allowed to participate in the junior race despite not being a Water-type. That lack of restriction makes me wish we'd seen a couple more non-waters in there too. Maybe other Normal-types that evolve into Water-types such as Azurill or Bidoof. Or Pokemon based on aquatic creatures that aren't Water-types like Inkay or Stunfisk. It's not really a problem with the episode, I just think it would have been interesting to see, if only so we could get an idea of how exactly do the requirements to participate work: is it open to just water-associated Pokemon even if they're not Water-types like the ones I mentioned, or can literally anyone participate so long as they know how to swim?

Overall, though, great episode, and honestly probably one of the most enjoyable since the ones focused on Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd.

Why did this have to take place in Lilycove? We're having another Hoenn ep next week and there are plenty of port towns in Pokemon. Alola STILL only has one ep to its name.

I think Alola gets another episode, which most likely involves Mantine surfing (The OG journeys poster has Goh riding a Mantine after all), which most likely involves Gohs Mantyke as well.

Glad someone else mentioned it, but yeah, the episode was really good, and managed to do something that people have complained about (but also didn't overly consider at points): you can indeed have focus, without omitting other characters. Everybody was relevant in some form, Dracovish was surprisingly entertaining (which, I expected would be the goal, but didn't think I'd like it this much) Dewgong was fun (and the surprising antagonist), and Eevee continues to be adorable. This series is handling Koharu/Eevee extremely well, good on them.

Wait... Did Ash really do that? I watched a sub with a wonky translation so I didn't know that.
He certainly wasn't being the kind and loving, encouraging trainer that Koharu was depicted as, despite the numerous pokemon he's caught over the years and helped out with their issues whenever they couldn't do something as simple as giving physics the bird and jumping several dozen feet into the air out of water to headbutt a bell or get on a slide

Wait... Did Ash really do that? I watched a sub with a wonky translation so I didn't know that.

I watched the episode subbed, and I don’t remember him insulting his Pokémon.

Word to the wise; Twilight-kun is a force for chaos. Whenever he says something, take it with a grain of salt, because it’s likely exaggerated or untrue.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom