• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN063: Challenge! Pokémon Marine Athletics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said “beware” of it, like it was something to be cautious of. I would think most people would range from indifferent to mildly intrigued. They did this sort of thing often with background characters in showcases during XY.

To emphasize.
I'm indifferent towards this one.
But who knows which others will return, there lies the surprise.

I just made an observation.
It's most of a bckgr character, who said one word in that episode.
Taking that fact into account, who could have guessed that it'd return.

I'm not upset, only baffled at this choice.
B&W did this for the Don George tournaments in between the series, and one of the contestants that reappeared, called Dino (who Ash was shown beating once), actually was the one who was beaten by Virgil in the final of the league. I think stuff like that is cool, personally.

Considering we were just talking about Corni episode and Iris' upcoming appearance, it's weird to make this an issue now.
They re-did many aspects of Ash and Pikachu because they do not assume that the target audience has seen all the previous series (see: Pikachu reaffirming its decision not to evolve). So why are we suddenly assuming that the target audience suddenly has twenty years of exposure on Ash?

They re-did many aspects of Ash and Pikachu because they do not assume that the target audience has seen all the previous series (see: Pikachu reaffirming its decision not to evolve)
What? Are you talking about Gou's Raichu episode?

It's almost impossible for the target audience to have watched most of the previous series. At most they did watch SM.
And there are the times when the staff think that viewers are slow-minded.
We just have to deal with some elements being redone occasionally.
B&W did this for the Don George tournaments in between the series, and one of the contestants that reappeared, called Dino (who Ash was shown beating once), actually was the one who was beaten by Virgil in the final of the league. I think stuff like that is cool, personally.
At least that one had potential, and I thought Satoshi will battle him again.
When it's done that way, I actually like recurring characters.

What? Are you talking about Gou's Raichu episode?
Yes that episode and the Pikachu jealousy episodes as well.
When people commented about those episodes I very distinctly remember those threads flooded by comments that these episodes are meant for newer viewers to get a glimpse into Ash and Pikachu's bond because they wouldn’t have watched the Lt. Surge episode in OS or the other episodes from previous sagas.

And anyways it’s the creators own rationale to assume that the target audience hasn’t watched previous sagas, so I don’t even have to argue this point. The target audience, the only audience that matters is clearly NOT expected to know about the exposition Ash has had, so bringing up that as an argument as to why he needs less focus than Gou is a moot point.

I'd have taken that point when it was the beginning of the series and we didn’t know who Gou as a character was, but now that we know him and he has received heaps of focus to show us who he is, the point doesn’t apply.

I just made an observation.
It's most of a bckgr character, who said one word in that episode.
Taking that fact into account, who could have guessed that it'd return.

I'm not upset, only baffled at this choice.
"We need characters to fill out this scene. Do we have any previous characters we can use to save on animation?"

And anyways it’s the creators own rationale to assume that the target audience hasn’t watched previous sagas, so I don’t even have to argue this point. The target audience, the only audience that matters is clearly NOT expected to know about the exposition Ash has had
Except no such rationale exist.
Ash has had, so bringing up that as an argument as to why he needs less focus than Gou is a moot point.
Koharu, not Gou...
I very distinctly remember those threads flooded by comments that these episodes are meant for newer viewers to get a glimpse into Ash and Pikachu's bond because they wouldn’t have watched the Lt. Surge episode in OS or the other episodes from previous sagas.
I mean, they're clearly wrong considering those episodes are not about that.

Koharu, not Gou..
I think there has been an ambiguity in who was referring to whom since 3 users were discussing at the time, I’ll take the point if Koharu is being referred to since in my opinion she’s worse than Ash when it comes to screentime.

Except no such rationale exist.
Then why is each series disconnected from the other outside of certain occasions hyped months in advance? And I’m pretty sure they don’t expect the target audience to watch all sagas that aired beforehand and thus have 20 years of exposition on Ash.

"We need characters to fill out this scene. Do we have any previous characters we can use to save on animation?"
So they're still stingy.

If that's the case, then it's all fine.
Reused animation happens often in most anime.

They’ve done this infrequently in JN. Not to mention, does it actually save anything on animation? The character is involved in completely new scenes for all we know.

Last edited:
It’s quite sad how some of us, even myself, are nitpicking at the series now. Not to say it doesn’t deserve criticism for aspects, because all things do, but reusing animation/characters isn’t exactly noteworthy of a discussion.
I just hope this episode can give a direction for what exactly Chloe/Koharu and Eevee is all about, whilst entertaining me with Dracovish. It’s fundamentally better than episodes we’ve been getting recently, most notably the Diglett, Psyduck and half-episode. I’ll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom