• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN064: The Detested Absol

This scenario does come off as weird to people since it’s specifically engineered by the writers to make the protagonist good no matter what and at the same time having a Pokémon stuck from being in danger to being under the ownership of Go, and our protagonist is so nice and kind that somehow every Pokémon decides to stay with him.

This kind of capture makes me uncomfortable for reasons I can’t articulate.
None of that makes him greedy, though. It didn’t really seem contrived to me that Absol decided to stay with Goh either, given he had just saved its life.

I would have liked to see more of Hoji and Absol in this episode. It would be nice to see Hoji make a return appearance as one of Goh's rivals, hopefully with Scizor and Mightyena along next time.

Most of what I wanted to say has already been said. There are issues with the episode, but most of those 'problems' are really 'techniques' that have always been employed by the anime. Pokeballs are basically magic, the fact that their capabilities are so often ignored by the plot is the more questionable writing choice.
None of that makes him greedy, though. It didn’t really seem contrived to me that Absol decided to stay with Goh either, given he had just saved its life.
Seeing Absol's caution fizzle out into annoyance when Goh shows zero ulterior motive for catching it and was waiting for it to go free was super cute. "Treating me like some low percentage Rattata!" - Absol (probably)
In the case of Go, it's a completely different situation. We know his goal is to catch all Pokemon. Most of them end up as mere trophies at Sakuragi Institute. I seems what he cares about most is getting the dex entry but he doesn't care for most of his Pokemon after catching them. So, considering that first, Go sees Pokemon mainly as "tools" and second, that he used the Pokeball rescue strategy twice in a row kind of leaves a bitter aftertaste. It's not that the idea is bad per se, it's Go's background and how he makes that startegy a regular habit that make it appear bad.
If Goh didn't care about his pokemon and only wanted the dex info, then he would just release them all post capture, and not go through the trouble of caring for and playing with them on a daily basis.
This is why Flannery should have been the one to call Ash and Goh in, she’s met and battled Ash before, and can attest to his problem solving skills as she’s seen him solve issues and come up with battle strategies. She’s also the gym leader.
Unless your a long term viewer, or someone who has gone back to watch old episodes, then you will have no idea who Flannery is or what her relationship with Ash is. Using a character established in Journeys, that the audience knows, is likely more meaningful to more viewers. I think that Flannery is better saved for a plot that actually involves her.
For the last 20 years I always learnt that you must have a bond with your pokemon before you can catch it.
Now, my impression as someone who only came back for Journeys, was that only the protagonists commonly bonded with their pokemon before capture, because those pokemon were essentially main characters and would be getting a large amount of screentime. The impression that I always got was that battling and catching pokemon sans bonding before capture was the regular trainer method. Is that not the case?

This scenario does come off as weird to people since it’s specifically engineered by the writers to make the protagonist good no matter what and at the same time having a Pokémon stuck from being in danger to being under the ownership of Go, and our protagonist is so nice and kind that somehow every Pokémon decides to stay with him.

This kind of capture makes me uncomfortable for reasons I can’t articulate.
I don’t think it’s hard to see why it makes the viewer uncomfortable. Even if Go lets the Pokemon choose to go, he already made the choice to capture it without its consent or awareness.

The problem is that its always the first thing he thinks of, but I guess because its a reflection of the awful Pokemon Go game where you don’t actually battle the Pokemon, they have more situations where he captures without battling. Even so those rules can still bend a bit to mold into a more believable anime story telling medium. If they want the viewers to like Go more, how about showing him actually putting himself in harms way to save a wild Pokemon before deciding to chuck a ball at it? Ash usually does that kind of thing but I guess they needed to reign him in for that so Go can get the catch. The least they could do is have Go ask more powerful Pokemon for permission to battle before capture after earning its trust.

Flannery could have worked. Her grandfather has appeared, so maybe he or another family member could have run the hot springs. Like when Chuck appeared, show even a screenshot of their battle in the Journeys artwork style. It’s a good continuity nod to get those who saw the AG episode happy while not locking out those haven’t seen it. It also gives Ash something that’s actually Ash, and not generic hanger on (because Goh renders Ash completely redundant as far as plot involvement goes). If Flannery goes all Permission to Squee over Cinderace then that’s more time earlier to reminisce with Ash while still retaining the squee over the Galar starter moment, and she’s more involved in resolving the problem. Rather than a previously one-off character of the day who does little to stand out.

When do I call it greedy? I never address that part.
It’s pretty contrived since it’s the second time this has happened in my opinion.

Can we all just agree that Journeys is a mess? This entire season has been sloppy in my opinion and this episode (one I'm not a fan of) doesn't help.
I don’t think you’ll get everyone agreed since some people do enjoy JN and it isn’t a bad thing. Some of us don’t enjoy it and our opinion is just as valid. It goes both ways...

If people like the episode, that's fine. However, I just didn't find it all that intriguing or interesting. It bored me and the way Absol was saved rubbed me the wrong way, similar to how Goh caught Suicune.

That's all I'll be saying about this episode because I know my opinions are probably the unpopular ones and they're probably not welcome here. I'll conclude by saying I can't wait for episode 65, which will probably have yet another annoying and easy Goh capture thrown into our faces because the writers' pet just has to have everything good in the world. :rolleyes:

When do I call it greedy? I never address that part.
It’s pretty contrived since it’s the second time this has happened in my opinion.
In my post that you quoted I was talking about referring to him as greedy. I wasn’t referring to the capture as a whole.

I would say that makes it repetitive rather than contrived which, incidentally, I also mentioned in that same post.

Can we all just agree that Journeys is a mess?
No, but you’re free to hold that opinion if you want.
That's all I'll be saying about this episode because I know my opinions are probably the unpopular ones and they're probably not welcome here.
All opinions are welcome as long as they’re presented respectfully. That doesn’t mean that everyone has to agree.

I'll conclude by saying I can't wait for episode 65, which will probably have yet another annoying and easy Goh capture thrown into our faces because the writers' pet just has to have everything good in the world. :rolleyes:

I can’t wait for the next episode to come out and either do well and not get the attention it deserves (just like Episode 61), do well and get lambasted for dumb reasons (just like Episodes 46 and 53), or somehow screw up and get a ton of negative attention. Mark my words, it’s gonna be one of the three.

No, but you’re free to hold that opinion if you want.

All opinions are welcome as long as they’re presented respectfully. That doesn’t mean that everyone has to agree.
I don't know, this thread is giving me the vibe that negative opinions on Goh aren't welcome here. At least that's what I've gotten from this thread anyway.

I don't know, this thread is giving me the vibe that negative opinions on Goh aren't welcome here. At least that's what I've gotten from this thread anyway.
I’m not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. The thread is literally inundated with negative opinions on Goh. I could easily quote at least 10 if I wanted to. Some people disagree. Both are fine as long as they’re respectful.

People are asking for that probably because there is realistically never going to be a plot that involves Flannery... I’m not sure what we're "saving" her for.
'Saving her' is probably the wrong way to put it. Flannery would have added some inter series continuity, while making sense as the town gym leader, however, I think using a JN exclusive character and increasing the intra series continuity of journeys is more important as far as letting it stand on its own outside of the callbacks.

I think the episode was primarily focused on exploring the Absol lore, though the appearance of Absol, Trapinch and Snorunt may have been a reference to the 3 AG episodes debuting Trapinch -> exploring Absol -> catching Ash's Snorunt. If the intention of the episode was first the Pokémon and location, then slotting Flannery in just to call the boys would have felt underwhelming given her past and position. People have already expressed their disappointment in Hoji not doing more.

Of course there are many ways around this, and a fun episode with Flannery could also have been written. The general notion that I was pushing back against, and doesn't belong to just any one person in particular, is that characters/ Pokémon that Ash has met in the past need to be referenced when anything related to them comes up in an episode, be it their town/ the same species.

Alright so before the new episode drops I need to give my thoughts on 64

I hated it, first back in the ending episode 63 when they were previewing this one, they made it sound like Ash would have a bigger part hearing say something along the lines of "I can't let Absol get blamed for this" and they gave no indication or hint that this would be a Goh episode. Coupled with the fact that Absol had been moderately advertised for Journeys, a few spoilers making me think it might go to Ash, and I was willing to hold out hope.

Not only did this turn out to be Goh episode, but oh my goodness the writers made Ash look completely incompetent. Why did he only bring Pikachu, and why just thunderbolt? The writers once again did everything to make sure Goh looks better and be the one who easily benefits, and I'm sick of this obvious favoritism.

Also, So what does this mean that Ash is locked to his current team for the rest of Journeys?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom