• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

I’m not surprised that Iris called Ash a kid...but at least Ash clapped back .

Attachments

• 57AE9239-2B32-4684-A3ED-26B0D0557738.jpeg
    57AE9239-2B32-4684-A3ED-26B0D0557738.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 155
Didn’t mean to detract the thread too much, but that silhouette at the end of the episode really excited me. Anyway, I needed some time to collect my thoughts on this episode, so here’s my mini-review.

In the preview thread, I mentioned that the episode may be rushed. I speculated things like the episode beginning in the Sakuragi Institue, Drayden may be appearing, and Iris sensing Dragonite’s feelings during the battle, and they all more or less turned out true. The callbacks and backstory were nice, but they definitely took a backseat compared to the main focus; the battle.

I thought that this was a fun battle episode. It’s interesting that Iris’s Dragonite “won” the ditto, but Ash’s Dragonite ended up deciding the match against Haxorus. It’s cool to see how much tvey highlighted the differences with both Dragonite’s too, with Ice Beam being the reason Ash calls his Dragonite back.

I’m kinda glad that Ash’s Dragonite didn’t faint and then Dracovish would end up sweeping Iris. That would have been too Deux ex Machina for it’s first ever battle. I thought it was interesting that Iris’s Dragonite fainted because of Ice Fang, considering it survived a ton of Ice attacks during its battle with Dawn’s Mamoswine.

It was cool to see that Axew evolved into Haxorus. Considering Ash has participated in the Kalos and Alola leagues since he left Iris, I think it’s fair for her Axew to be a Haxorus by now. I really didn’t expect Haxorus to use Psycho Cut though. Did Ash’s Dragonite learn Draco Meter against it? I feel like if Ash’s Dragonite didn’t use Dragon Dance, he may have lost.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. I think Ash winning makes sense, as his Dragonite is OP as heck, and he’s an Alolan champion as well (which I’m pretty sure was not brought up). It was cool to see Iris again, and the callbacks were very generous yet brief. There was no reason for Ash and Goh to split up at the start of the episode though, it was just so they could do the “I thought Iris was a Pokémon” gag again. This episode could have really benefitted from being a two parter, with maybe the followup episode consisting of things like what Iris’s current ambitions are now and how the rest of her team is doing, but overall, this is the best episode of Journeys this year so far. I’m excited to see Volkner and Project Mew.

This episode was pretty much everything I wanted it to be... nice little callbacks but also showing us how much Iris has grown as a trainer. It sure is nice to see another of Satoshi's friends (and the only one besides Takeshi) to fulfill ther goal.

Naturally, the show had to give Go a couple of captures but at least they were as brief as possible.

It was not a bad episode. Funny how the flashback scene people expected because of the earlier scan was only the scan. (Still beter than nothing of course.)

Goh caught 2 out of the 3 elemental monkeys? Or did he caught Pansage off screen? Otherwise Grookey will have to be the grass monkey (for now). But for a completionist like Goh, this is a set he has to complete.

The battle wasn't bad, but a little rushed by times.

And Emolga being part of a lightshow to introduce Iris before the battle was a nice touch. :p

And Ash went into the next class.

What a battle. Although a bit rush but couldn't really complain about it due to how Journeys is written. LOL, Mr. Fish just one shot Angrynite. Maybe Dracovish has Strong Jaw considering it just use Ice Fang on a dragon type.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. I think Ash winning makes sense, as his Dragonite is OP as heck, and he’s an Alolan champion as well (which I’m pretty sure was not brought up).

Yeah, I think the show has chosen to forget that. Hell, just a couple of episodes ago we saw that as far as everyone in Kanto is concerned the only notable thing Satoshi has ever done is become a research fellow.

Yeah, I think the show has chosen to forget that. Hell, just a couple of episodes ago we saw that as far as everyone in Kanto is concerned the only notable thing Satoshi has ever done is become a research fellow.
Considering last week with Absol was basically a repeat of the January episode with Suicine, you'd think the writers believe their audience constantly shifts enough and in a pandemic, no less! It's almost hypocritical that they've chosen to bring back Iris and make a few references to BW, yet seemingly ignore SM.

Full VA List courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Mika Kanai: Emonga
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Daisuke Namikawa: Lucario
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Kensuke Sato: Iris' Kairyu
Tatsuki Kobe: Ononokus
Masaki Terasoma: Shaga
Aoi Yuki: Iris
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Maxwell Powers: Drone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Seen only the Serebii shots, will see if I can find it later. Mostly curious how it feels in motion, though I admit the battle flow kind of reminded me of Ash v Visquez.

Not that it is a bad thing, but something I thought off the top of my head.

Ok. W O W. And excelent JN episode. Never thought I would see the day I say this about an JN episode. I honestly didn't expected it to be that good.

They kept Goh in the backseat and he only captured 2 Pokémon in like 10 seconds and then they focused squarely on the battle. Thank GOD I was so scared they were gonna screw that one up and have the battle be super short.

And the shock that I experienced when Haxorus entered the frame and it was revealed that it was indeed Axew evolved. I know that might be an discussion point from now on, but in all honesty, and I say this as someone that absolutely loves Ash: if he can have 10 fully evolved Pokémon in the meantime, 11 if you count Naganadel, Iris can have an Haxorus especially since apparently her only extra addition, at least that we saw was a Goodra (I mean was it even confirmed that she indeed has an Goodra? the subs aren't out yet), so I don't see an issue here.

And the animation was estelar. Finally an good battle animation-wise cuz that one against Rinto was pitiful.

And Iris actually talking to Dragonite was so amazing to see, and it learning how to use Draco Meteor, which is fitting since only Dragons with good relationships with their trainers can learn it. Axew (I'm sorry I'm forever gonna call it Axew even if it evolved lol) actually using good moves, and was it just me or the head-smashing to stop the confusion was a tiny call back to Gladion's Lycanroc biting itself to stop it too? I might be reading in a bit too much, but I did felt it.

But now, Champion Iris, right? I mean, I don't know what to feel about this yet. But all that I know is that it didn't ruined my enjoyment. I need some time to think about this tho lol.

Overall, I loved it. 9/10. I'm just not gonna give it an 10/10 cuz the champion thing is... there in the back of my head lol.

While I’m always going to think it weird that Iris has outright become the Champion of Unova... her return was really nice and I really appreciate this episode focused on her and how much it focused on her growth.

Too bad it barely focused on the battle! Dracovish’s long awaited battle debut was kinda meh and the whole thing seemed a bit rushed, it wasn’t as good a battle as Vs Korrina. I don’t think anybody would disagree that this episode could have done with being a two-parter.

Great we saw Drayden, have you noticed these battle episodes usually have somebody to sit with Goh? Gurrkin, Karate Master, Chuck

i’m a little disappointed Excadrill and Gible didn’t appear outside flashbacks

This was good, but I expected more - perhaps too much...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom