• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

I thought that they were more pissed at Iris' Kairyuu losing to the untrained, unreliable and comic relief Uonoragon.

Well, I think this is the first episode I enjoyed in a LONG time. Actually, heck, this is the first time I enjoyed a Journeys episode at all!

Iris was such a treat. She was adorable, her mini banter with Ash was wonderful, and her conversation with Ash's Dragonite was sweet. Showcasing her pokemon when neccesary(Excadrill in a flashback, Emolga shown being close to Iris, Axew evolved(!!!), and Dragonite was a real treat as well) and not spending too much time on flashbacks for the main event of the episode...

The pacing was kind of off, though, since they spent unnecessary time on Goh "catching" Iris, but it was kinda funny if anyone likes callbacks, since it seems Ash brought it up a couple times. Plus, it didn't distract from the episode, so there's that.

I really liked that they actually showcased the personalities and characterizations of the pokemon in this episode, which was probably the reason why I liked it so much. Sir'fetched showing off by opening the letter for Ash(in the most complicated way ever lolll), Lucario in the background with this completely stupefied look on its face, Ash's Dragonite's absolutely adorable interactions with Iris...the only gripe I have is that Pikachu was OOC again, but you can't win everything I suppose.

On another note, I gotta say, I LOVED the music score of this episode. It was just so...impactful. The battle didn't feel dry or unnecessarily hyped to be epic, it just felt so fresh and real that I was on the edge of my seat with excitement! Especially the music that played at the beginning of the Ash VS Iris battle...that was like some Fairy Tail level musical composition, like sheesh...

Overall, I didn't have much problems with this episode. I only have two, which are actually super minor and are easily forgettable. One is that there was no reason to include Goh throwing the Poke ball at Iris, but it doesn't last too long so there's that. The other is that Pikachu got annoyed he wasn't battling. That pissed me off a bit more.

Great episode, the first one from Journeys that I thoroughly enjoyed from the very start to the very end. 8.5/10

I thought that they were more pissed at Iris' Kairyuu losing to the untrained, unreliable and comic relief Uonoragon.
Ash has clearly been training with it as he knows its moves, calling it unreliable is a bit unfair due to this being its first battle, and even other comic relief Pokémon can be good battlers.

Can I just say, the Gym looked incredible. Most of the time they stick to a bland theme of seats/stands, and the battlefield, but here, the exterior looked cool, and the statues of Haxorus and Hydreigon around the battlefield made it look so awesome.

I didn’t like how Ash's Dragonite came off in this episode, it was painful watching the poor thing be trashed around. I hope Ash trains it more after this.

I mean I get it, this was development for Ash’s Dragonite more than anything (if the fact that freakyfish basically came out, did one move for a KO then got bodied right after wasn’t enough) you get the contrast between Ash’s Dragonite and Iris’ Dragonite and the fact that its love for Ash and wanting to do its best is just as strong a force as a Dragonite that relies more on brute strength.
Well, I think this is the first episode I enjoyed in a LONG time. Actually, heck, this is the first time I enjoyed a Journeys episode at all!

Iris was such a treat. She was adorable, her mini banter with Ash was wonderful, and her conversation with Ash's Dragonite was sweet. Showcasing her pokemon when neccesary(Excadrill in a flashback, Emolga shown being close to Iris, Axew evolved(!!!), and Dragonite was a real treat as well) and not spending too much time on flashbacks for the main event of the episode...

The pacing was kind of off, though, since they spent unnecessary time on Goh "catching" Iris, but it was kinda funny if anyone likes callbacks, since it seems Ash brought it up a couple times. Plus, it didn't distract from the episode, so there's that.

I really liked that they actually showcased the personalities and characterizations of the pokemon in this episode, which was probably the reason why I liked it so much. Sir'fetched showing off by opening the letter for Ash(in the most complicated way ever lolll), Lucario in the background with this completely stupefied look on its face, Ash's Dragonite's absolutely adorable interactions with Iris...the only gripe I have is that Pikachu was OOC again, but you can't win everything I suppose.

On another note, I gotta say, I LOVED the music score of this episode. It was just so...impactful. The battle didn't feel dry or unnecessarily hyped to be epic, it just felt so fresh and real that I was on the edge of my seat with excitement! Especially the music that played at the beginning of the Ash VS Iris battle...that was like some Fairy Tail level musical composition, like sheesh...

Overall, I didn't have much problems with this episode. I only have two, which are actually super minor and are easily forgettable. One is that there was no reason to include Goh throwing the Poke ball at Iris, but it doesn't last too long so there's that. The other is that Pikachu got annoyed he wasn't battling. That pissed me off a bit more.

Great episode, the first one from Journeys that I thoroughly enjoyed from the very start to the very end. 8.5/10
What is it with how they are portraying Pikachu? After how well they treated him in Alola you’d think they’d be more careful.

I personally would rather see Pikachu not always taking up a slot but always present (not in his official battle line up) and occasionally falling back to a coaching role for Ash’s younger and newer catches. It’s certainly better than him occasionally throwing tantrums like this.

What is it with how they are portraying Pikachu? After how well they treated him in Alola you’d think they’d be more careful.
Actually, believe it or not, Alola didn't treat Pikachu all that well either. Though, they did at least TRY to remember Pikachu's characteristics, but in Alola, Pikachu kinda had the same problem Ash did. The circumstances and environment affected their characters.

But in Journeys, especially for Pikachu, the terrible handling of his character is just SO NOTICEABLE...

One thing I forgot to mention in my original review is the specifics for the Iris and Dragonite scene, which was...great? Like, I loved that scene. The environment, the anesthetics, the voice acting, the music...the pacing...I really loved this episode. I'm probably not going to shut up about this episode for a while.

Last edited:
Can I just say, the Gym looked incredible. Most of the time they stick to a bland theme of seats/stands, and the battlefield, but here, the exterior looked cool, and the statues of Haxorus and Hydreigon around the battlefield made it look so awesome.
Another example of continuity. The Gym looks exactly like it did in the BW series.

Ash has clearly been training with it as he knows its moves, calling it unreliable is a bit unfair due to this being its first battle, and even other comic relief Pokémon can be good battlers.

In my head canon he did train Dracovish after catching it in the group, but he started to train it more seriously after the Junior water race, were Dracovish showed knowing the move Fishious Rend. In my head canon seeing Dracovish using this move made Ash realise he didn't know the full potential of Dracovish yet (he only saw Dracovish using Water Gun in the past), resulting in more training and discovering Dracovish can use Ice Fang and/or Dracovish learning the move while training. Since Ash only knew Dracovish could use Water Gun up untill the Junior water race.

But that's just my head canon. However, it is clear Ash at least spend time offscreen on developing Dracovish between this episode and 2 episodes ago, since Ash knew Dracovish could use Ice Fang, something he didn't knew 2 episodes ago. So I think you are correct Ash did train with Dracovish.

Yooooo, this was a sick episode for many, many reasons.

Kairyu, Satoshi's Kairyu is fully cemented as the best and my favorite of the Pocket Monsters 2019 cast of Pokemon. This guy has everything, personality, development, and all. This episode addressed one of my main issues - not enough Pokemon characterization but using Iris's Dragon empathy as a way to a better look at him (He's actually a lot like Iris's Kibago used to be!) was a good catalyst to not only clinch the win but also showcase us more of what this Pokemon is about. The way Kairyu used Dragon Pulse, while having it's lore about the weather showcased in order to use Draco Meteor like that. What an excellent turnaround and the hug scene-the empathy scenes with Iris. It getting to fight Ononokus almost gives off the impression Iris sent out it purposefully so they could battle. Iris really felt Champion-like in her treatment of the battle as a chance for growth but to also challenge herself, she supported her own opponent like Adeku said he did with her in the games and the advice reminded me of Adeku, Shirona and Mikuri's important words during BW/DP. Annnnndddd.......

IRIIIIIIIISSSSSSS! Flawless appearance, it's been a while since I've seen my fav in action but seeing her doing her thing felt great. The nostalgia of hearing, "Kodomo Ne~!" her acrobatics and leaping skills, her slightly cocky air, her facial expressions and battle poses, even her teasing and surprises of her Champion status and Kibago's evolution. What's even the most satisfying is the evolution of her empathy powers, they were an integral and key aspect of her character as, "The Girl Who Understands the Hearts of Dragons." Seeing how she is now so advanced in her usage of her powers she can full on communicate and have a 100% emotional exchange and heart-to-heart with Dragon-types now was SO ABSOLUTELY REWARDING. Kibago finally showing off as that beautiful Ononokus they both deserve was just IT man. Also ROUGHNECK Kairyu and their history being reference even if he lost felt good! The reference to her fight (Doryuzu!) against Shaga felt GOOD! The history and justice being intact with the character felt GOOD! People forced the idea Iris would be jealous of Satoshi's dragons or something out of fanon hatred of her character but as expected her true canon self adores these creatures, even the literal frankstein Dragon Pokemon.

This episode made me realize that SM-PM Satoshi actually isn't all that different from BW Satoshi. No but really seeing him banter with a character and get annoying/pissed or giving a peace sign/okie-dokie sign with his fingers to his own Kairyu when it fell on him just reminds me how lovable I find his PM-self. He doesn't develop as a character is still fairly static but is at least very likable and rootable. The way he used his opponent's Dragon Pulse while using Hurricane to play defense than turned that power right back on Ononokus reminded me of one of his battle catchphrases, "The best defense is a strong offense!" Using Hurricane to not only defend but evolve into Draco Meteor when Hyper Beam proved to slow to use earlier and left Kairyu vulnerable to Dragon Rush.

Shaga, the baby!Kibago fakeout, Gou's throwing of the Monster Ball. I did initially think the episode would be pretty rushed but they really hit the ground running with them boarding the plan and the catching spree and Iris encounter being fairly short. The lack of Gou getting the Grass-type monkey of Isshu could hint at a Dent appearance....but then again he already has a Grass-type monkey of his own. Good choice of animation cuts, nice music and I enjoyed the battle a lot and it was par course of my expectations. I'm not sure if the stuff about Iris making it to Ultra Class (with her just starting the PWC recently) was anything other than fluff/word spaghetti but hell if she gets even another slight cameo that would rock. The ending with us knowing Denzi and Rentorar are coming excites me because surely that means more character/Pokemon based battles.

This episode reminded me my favorite confrontations are character and Pokemon vs. character and Pokemon and not just Pokemon vs. Pokemon. S&M was really good about it, making each battle meaningful and not just for the sake of the battle but a character having true drive behind their actions. Kairyu had a character and a heart here and got to show it while also getting humanizing moments for Iris's own Pokemon and their history. I cannot wait to rewatch this episode with complete 100% context. Aoi Yuuki was right when she spoke about how this episode would have interactions that make your heart go pitter patter and show the appeal of Dragon-type Pokemon, Iris's own attributes (strength, growth, banter, her own empathetic powers, her drive, etc.) as well. I do not know why but the framing of Iris communicating with Kairyu about Kibago's growth was very pleasant~

Rock-solid and stellar episode, definitely something I feel that could be very appreciated if you're really invested in the ingredients of the affair (Iris, Satoshi, their dynamic, the Kairyu, Kibago's character, Shaga, etc.) I feel very pleased and this episode just cements that I REALLY DO LIKE P/JOURNEYS as a series and it's courage and balls in doing new things and breaking taboos. Whether I have some criticisms of that or love the changes the series overall has my support and I enjoy these episodes more than I don't. PM doesn't care that characters didn't do mass catches before, PM doesn't care about obsessive adherences to power-scaling (Of course we're not nearly as bad as Dragon Ball fandom *war flashbacks to Tournament of Power*), PM is just doing its own thing and shining in its own way. S&M did the same thing in making its own style. Both took time to get used to but I now appreciate PM more knowing what that means for its own style as a show. Stoked for Denzi/Rentorar as he was a Satoshi parrallel in DP and Satoshi played a role in remotivating him to find passion in battle so I'm 100% confident in Shigeru and his returns now.

Of course he did, off-screen as usual.
We just need to assume and it's fine.

I'm really tired of having many events I'd like to see, like training and getting to know Uonoragon better being given the focus.

But alas, that's banned this season.

In my head canon he did train Dracovish after catching it in the group, but he started to train it more seriously after the Junior water race, were Dracovish showed knowing the move Fishious Rend. In my head canon seeing Dracovish using this move made Ash realise he didn't know the full potential of Dracovish yet (he only saw Dracovish using Water Gun in the past), resulting in more training and discovering Dracovish can use Ice Fang and/or Dracovish learning the move while training. Since Ash only knew Dracovish could use Water Gun up untill the Junior water race.

But that's just my head canon. However, it is clear Ash at least spend time offscreen on developing Dracovish between this episode and 2 episodes ago, since Ash knew Dracovish could use Ice Fang, something he didn't knew 2 episodes ago. So I think you are correct Ash did train with Dracovish.
Ash sees the potential in every Pokemon, regardless of what they are (Goomy, Chimchar, etc.). Since Dracovish, and I think Drayden even said this when Dracovish came out, is a recently discovered Pokemon, so perhaps Ash was just taking precautions towards using it, since no-one knows what might hurt/be painful for the creature. For example, no-ones exactly sure for how long Dracovish can be on land, or if it really needs water or not. Maybe the Professor was researching it.

Looking at the shot of Opelucid City, we can see the radio tower that Iris climbed back in BW. Continuity!
Another example of continuity. The Gym looks exactly like it did in the BW series.
A city not undergoing a complete makeover and keeping its landmarks instant is the bare minimum and not really special “continuity”. As much as liked the episode this ain’t an example of continuity.

A city not undergoing a complete makeover and keeping its landmarks instant is the bare minimum and not really special “continuity”. As much as liked the episode this ain’t an example of continuity.
It’s still continuity, though? Sure, it’s bare minimum, but it is continuity. Haven’t there been plenty of revisited locations that looked either totally different or at least didn’t show anything notable from the last time they were shown?

Ash sees the potential in every Pokemon, regardless of what they are (Goomy, Chimchar, etc.). Since Dracovish, and I think Drayden even said this when Dracovish came out, is a recently discovered Pokemon, so perhaps Ash was just taking precautions towards using it, since no-one knows what might hurt/be painful for the creature. For example, no-ones exactly sure for how long Dracovish can be on land, or if it really needs water or not. Maybe the Professor was researching it.

Well yes, something like that. I don't think Ash neglected it before JN063, but I also don't think he trained Dracovish at 100% before. Maybe it was present for group trainings and it did watch the others having 1v1 battles sometimes, but Ash didn't realy go 100% with Dracovish yet.

It reminds me of a quote from Misty in the past when the group was in the Orange Islands were she said she didn't saw Ash train Snorlax. And than you also had Kanto were Krabby, Muk and his 30 Tauros (and I guess Mimey) were never trained by Ash. And Primeape is also unclear. Good thing those pokémon proved to be good battlers when they are used. However, this behavior of not training pokémon is something Ash grew out of I think.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom