• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

I enjoyed this episode a lot, however, there are still lingering problems that is holding the anime back
  1. Yuki Hiyashi's music is constantly outshown by Miyazaki's. Listening to Miyazaki's classical rendition after Yuki's more modern (new age) style is incredibly jarring. Their two musical styles do not fit at all, and I personally would prefer Yuki's soundtrack to be less frequent.
  2. The anime style is still a clear downgrade from XY, and the battles are being held back as a result of that
  3. Too much exposition - not enough battling, I enjoyed the battle, but had this been XY, it would have been a 2 parter
Regardless, I enjoyed the episode a lot and it was quite possibly the best journeys episode as far.

It was a decent episode IMO. The battle felt a little slow-paced, though not as much as usual. It's been this long and I still can't put my finger on why all the battles feel so sluggish. Maybe it's just me.

In any case, this should've been a two-parter. There's just way too much exposition, and even then it's not enough to properly re-introduce Iris to new viewers, along with conveying such a momumental feat like her becoming Champion. It's a believable feat, but the jump from last time we saw her is just too big. Also, Ash and Pikachu had virtually zero interaction with Haxorus, which is a sin.

I'm kinda sad they picked such an episodic and "laid back" series to be the one where everyone returns. It's really dissonant.

Like many others, I wasn't much of a fan of Iris's character during the Best Wishes saga, but this episode did her dirty. Giving her the title of champion only to lose in unceremonious fashion is a cruel fate. Especially when she most likely won't be seen again (at least not until she's game relevant).

You know, one thing that’s a shame about this episode is that we didn’t get a scene after the battle of them relaxing with their Pokémon so we could have gotten to see Ash’s and Iris’ Dragonite interact outside of a battle setting. But it’s a missed opportunity given their different personalities.

Last edited:
It does make me wonder if Dragonite really learned Draco Meteor. It did seem Dracognite trapped its opponents attack with Hurricane to form the meteor. Can it also replicate the move on its own in the future or will it be an improvised counterattack of sorts to return long ranged Dragon-type attacks? I guess the future will make this clear to us (unless I missed something and it's already clear).
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. Dragonite's Draco Meteor feels less like a move that's part of its moveset and more like an improvised move that can only be used under very specific circumstances, which is definitely interesting. It's kinda like how Rowlet can only use Seed Bomb by spitting its Everstone, though that's obviously a significantly easier requirement to fulfill than having to facing an opponent that knows a ranged Dragon-type move. Honestly, I think it'd be fine if Dragonite keeps its original moveset, with Draco Meteor specifically being used as a counter against opponents that can "enable" it. With that said, if Draco Meteor does become an actual part of its moveset, I hope Hyper Beam gets replaced.
2) How did Haxorus manage to snap out of its confusion?
The exact same way Gladion's Lycanroc dealt with Outrage's confusion; intentionally hitting itself first to snap itself out of confusion before the opponent could take advantage of it.

No lie, this episode makes me wanna go back and watch some BW episodes! Heck, it would've been something if Iris had to face Dragon Buster Georgia in the FINALS of the Unova League to become the champ of that league! She's always wanted to battle Iris with a team of dragons to 'bust.' Fan fiction aside; I did enjoy the episode for what it was. However, as MANY comments in this thread have mentioned (similar to Korrina's return earlier in this series)...this should've been a TWO PARTER!

Iris' Dragonite being able to withstand being FROZEN by Beartic's Ice Beam and powered through Blizzard to deliver a Thunderpunch...struggling but managing to hold back and then defeat Dawn's Mamoswine while it was freezing the grumpy dragon with its Ice Fang...here we have Dragonite comically getting stuck in Dracovish's mouth before being frozen and defeated by an Ice Fang...

I watched the battle three times already and as ridiculous and confusing as it was; I thought it was funny! (Took me the third time watching the battle to appreciate the comedic yet strategic method of the win). Does it come at the cost of Dragonite's abilities and power? Eh, you could argue it. I mean the ONLY damage I believe Ash's Dragonite inflicted was from its Hurricane before it was countered with Ice Beam. I guess it's that we've seen this Dragonite tank SO many hits before that seeing it lose so quickly makes it seem lackluster...

Yo, Ash's Dragonite getting TRASHED by that first Dragon Rush and crazing into Ash was brutal to say the least! Ash took it with a smile and sent his 'David' back into the ring to face 'Goliath.'

Um...why didn't Ash have Dragonite either attack Haxorus while it was clearly confused or at least use another Dragon Dance to power up some more? Seriously, he was just sitting there watching Haxorus thrash around while Goh was screaming at him to DO SOMETHING! It was the equivalent of Goku and friends standing around while the opponent is transforming/powering up; ATTACK NOW!!!

Hitting itself in confusion (head banging into the ground) was simple but effective. Nice way to 'cure' its own self inflicted confusion. What I did like about this battle was seeing how Iris came into her own as a trainer (eventually Champion) but you could kind of see how Ash's battling style influenced her while they traveled together. Quickly adapting to a new opponent (Dracovish) by noticing to avoid its mouth/bite was genius!

I know the Hurricane Shield strategy was used before on Mega Lucario, but I feel like this is Dragonite's own version of D/P's Counter Shield and I'm here for it!

I think 100% of the fans agree that Ash should've squawked back to Iris about how "HE IS A CHAMPION NOW TOO!!!!" That would've been great! Not to just throw the 'I'm a little kid' comment back at Iris (which Ash actually did), but to show that hey "Anything you can do I can do better!" Even though Iris most likely competed is LESS leagues than Ash and if the Unova League was her FIRST official league and she WON; she outdid Ash who has competed in numerous region tournament before he claimed victory...

I hope Draco Meteor replaced Hyper Beam because Ash's poor dragon has never fully executed the move because it is always hit before he can unleash it. Dang even Ash's Aipom had a better track record launching its Focus Punches before opponents interrupted the move!

Not a big fan of how quickly Dracovish was taken out of the battle. Seriously?! Guess Psycho Cut was a critical hit lol

Overall, I had a good time with this episode and I see myself rewatching it a few more times in the near future. No need to talk about the 'shadowy figures' at the end of the episode because I noticed a separate thread for that. I mean if this one episode can make me really like one of my least favorite characters from the series, I can't wait to see what they do with other returning characters in the future.

OH! Loved how Iris was like hey even though I'm the Champion; I'm still on my journey to become a Dragon Master. That was awesome because it reminded me of what Alder said in his debut episode when he asked Ash and friends what they'd do after reaching their goals. Sure, it is a heavy question and really doesn't work in the context of this episode because Iris said she hasn't reached her goal yet. League Champion status was apparently just a stepping stone while being a Pokemon Master is Ash's (though we have no idea how the heck you get that title...Leon is the World's Strongest Trainer but does that mean he is a Master?). Her moment with Ash's Dragonite to encourage it and have fun in battle really hit those "Ash vibes." Yet, it almost felt as if Ash really didn't understand his Dragonite's feelings like Iris didn't when her Excadrill got demolished by Drayden back in the day. Nice moment but I don't know...it just felt a bit weird to me IMO.

Was hyped about this episode... but it was a huge letdown. There’s way too much narration in the battle and it’s super cheesy with the iris reading dragonite feelings. Too many stops in the battle and I don’t know how dragonite has so much of a connection to ash but’s been in like 4 episodes. Boring 5/10

A champion in the Super Class?? Somehow that doesn't feel right at all.
Every Trainer starts in the Normal Class, and Iris was revealed to have entered the tournament only recently.
Like many others, I wasn't much of a fan of Iris's character during the Best Wishes saga, but this episode did her dirty. Giving her the title of champion only to lose in unceremonious fashion is a cruel fate. Especially when she most likely won't be seen again (at least not until she's game relevant).
I'd hardly say it was an unceremonious loss. Besides, while Iris may not know it, Ash is a Champion too, so it made sense to me.

We haven't seen Raihans second Pokemon right. It makes sense if he has a Goodra in the anime, since he has one in the games (Granted, the anime doesn't always follow the games), so what if the Goodra in the flashback is his and they are gonna reveal it later.

However, that Goodra might also tease Drasna, as she is currently the only Kalos E4 member to make an official on-screen appearance.

Last edited:
This is my favorite episode of the current series, so far.

First of all, big props to the writing team for breaking several norms in one episode; evolving Axew to the fullest, a late but welcome improvement that we sought for so long; making Iris, a former companion, a Champion which has been Ash's ultimate goal to begin with; making Ash finally use his Pokémon that has been out of sight for a while.

It would have been neat if Ash mentioned his victory in Alola League, too. Also instead of having talk-talk-talk moments, it would have been much pleasing to have Iris' flashbacks to the moments she decided to go for the gym quest and a few flashbacks in gym battles, the moment she evolved Axew, became the champion and given a new outfit (a connection to the games).

The battle could have been more fluid and exciting if it was for less conversations and more action. However, I still enjoy the battle quite well. Yes, Ash defeated a champion, but he did so with the help of the champion herself. If it wasn't for Iris' comforting solacement and its influence on Dragonite, the outcome of the battle could have been much different.

That sounds a bit excessive.
Maybe not fired, but their influence needs to be lessened. This series does seem to have some mandates that actively detract from the show, including that. The episodic thing is even worse because that's how we get stuff like Iris's Dragonite and Dracovish getting KO'd 20 seconds into their fights. Both this and the Alola episode should have been 2-parters if I'm sure they would have been without the episodic mandate. It looks like the Oak's lab episode is going to get ruined by being 3 different episodes merged into one as well. The much-maligned Rocket Gachat is probably a mandate as well.

This episode did the mandated Go catches as well as it could and I appreciate that, but it still ate up screentime for the battle which led to rushing.

This episode did the mandated Go catches as well as it could and I appreciate that, but it still ate up screentime for the battle which led to rushing.
Those catches lasted only a couple seconds each and were used as a method to provide Goh with a situation where he could meet Iris.

...If we are talking about Journeys we've only had three in Korrina, Bea, and Iris, and I suspect you mean Korrina and Iris. Maybe it becomes three if we count Ash versus Misty in SM but....I think you are in the minority here. Nothing wrong with some platonic fanservice.
I mean Korrina, Bea (twice) and Volkner. Boring.

Iris got her first battle as a champion, but she felt like a gym leader.

The exact same way Gladion's Lycanroc dealt with Outrage's confusion; intentionally hitting itself first to snap itself out of confusion before the opponent could take advantage of it.
The problem is, if you look at the conversation closely, Iris said Haxorus hit its head against its opponent while attacking and thus could not be taken out even when confused (which doesn't quite make sense to me. Of course, it could have been taken out). Then Drayden added this strategy was the result of Iris' hard work with Haxorus. However, you could clearly see that Haxorus was still confused after the attack and didn't snap out of it confusion until it hit its head against the ground. So, either the translation was wrong or Iris and Drayden were exaggerating a bit because having your Pokemon hit its head against the ground is not really such a great achievement or the result of some special training but could as well be a spontaneous idea.
Well, maybe I'm overthinking things but Iris' expalantion just didn't quite make sense to me.

There's just way too much exposition, and even then it's not enough to properly re-introduce Iris to new viewers, along with conveying such a momumental feat like her becoming Champion. It's a believable feat, but the jump from last time we saw her is just too big
.this should've been a TWO PARTER!
I can only repeat what I already said: Journeys/Pokemon 2019 suffers from a real lack of two-partes.
We already saw some amazing battles that had so much potential! However, many of them were rushed simply because there wasn't enough time. No matter what your opinion on Iris as Champion is (I personally think it happened to quickly), it was a battle against a champion after all, so it would have deserved much more time. Here's a suggestion: Spend half of the first episode on Iris' and Ash's common backstory in BW and Iris' way to the championship and then invest one and a half episodes for an intense battle. Sounds like a good recipe for success, doesn't it? Instead they'll give us an episode about Flabebe uisng its flower next week. Seriously?

Last edited:
The problem is, if you look at the conversation closely, Iris said Haxorus hit its head against its opponent while attacking and thus could not be taken out even when confused (which doesn't quite make sense to me. Of course, it could have been taken out). Then Drayden added this strategy was the result of Iris' hard work with Haxorus. However, you could clearly see that Haxorus was still confused after the attack and didn't snap out of it confusion until it hit its head against the ground. So, either the translation was wrong or Iris and Drayden were exaggerating a bit because having your Pokemon hit its head against the ground is not really such a great achievement or the result of some special training but could as well be a spontaneous idea.
Well, maybe I'm overthinking things but Iris' expalantion just didn't quite make sense to me.
Haxorus knew how to execute the strategy without a separate command, and did so.

Haxorus knew how to execute the strategy without a separate command, and did so.
Yes, but Iris/Drayden said it was some "special strategy" during the move, while in fact it happened after it. And in the meantime, Haxorus was left vulnerable which Ash could have used to his advantage if he and Dragonite hadn't just been standing there watching. So, I don't see a special champion-strategy here to be honest.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom