• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Well, according to the sub, Drayden says “Iris is our current top trainer, in other words the reigning Champion”.
I guess Virgil was too busy with the Eevee squad? Last time we saw him, he demolished Cameron 6-3, and remember, Ash lost to Cameron 6-4...Ash has come a long way!

Kind of remarkable thinking Ash would have had a breeze in the leagues if he was with this team.

Tomioka can you just write the whole series at this point? Every episode of yours is an absolute banger. Seriously this one did so much right; cutting straight to the chase, Goh taking the backseat, BW flashbacks, Dragonite development, Dracovish getting his first win, Ash-Iris interactions. Drayden and Haxorus were also so cool to see (I remember wanting him to get a cameo, but he’s in the whole episode!). Iris was literally perfect here! She’s fierce, empathetic, knowledgeable but still childish. She and Ash have a great dynamic and as someone who wasn’t a fan of BW, she’s actually grown on me. I’d be keen to see her again in the future.

Like the Alola episode, they really jam-packed everything they could into this one. It had so many callbacks (including that cheeky best wishes reference at the end) and even teased us with Axew. I’m surprised Ash didn’t mention that he was champion as well during their quarrelling (after the you’re such a kid line when Iris mentions it); between this and the Alola episode I wonder if he’ll ever bring it up on his own. The actual battle was good, albeit it felt rushed with the knockouts (I guess it’s kinda accurate to the games though?) and the animation wasn’t awfully spectacular. I liked how it was both a battle but also a character building moment for Dragonite, and how there was some context as to how it learned Draco Meteor (Dragonite can influence the weather during battles and it was more intense this time, then it redirected dragon pulse pulse via hurricane). I guess its replaced hyper beam now.

Like a lot of episodes, it would’ve benefited from a two parter. But they knew what they were doing with this one. This is honestly the best way they could’ve used these 20 minutes and I had a blast watching it. Man, even the end scene was sick (was not expecting Volkner of all people). Really hope hyper class is handled well from here on out, cause he’s only 99 rn.

Might seem like a minor aspect but still something I'd like to mention:
Did you realize Iris actually sent a letter to Ash? An actual letter made of actual paper! These days when everybody seems to be so addicted to their smartphones and all kinds of technical tools, I found it so nice and a welcome change the writers had somebody write an actual letter. I hope this will make the audience think outside of their "tech-bubble", at least for a few moments (And this is coming from somebody who graduated in computer science :LOL:)

Lost my big notes to a accidental click but hey, great episode, and most of the complaints some (VINYL) have are negated by the episode itself. Not all of course, but most with subs go away.

Might seem like a minor aspect but still something I'd like to mention:
Did you realize Iris actually sent a letter to Ash? An actual letter made of actual paper! These days when everybody seems to be so addicted to their smartphones and all kinds of technical tools, I found it so nice and a welcome change the writers had somebody write an actual letter. I hope this will make the audience think outside of their "tech-bubble", at least for a few moments (And this is coming from somebody who graduated in computer science :LOL:)

Remember how Iris was very spiritual and didn't listen to Cilan and his science? It's basically a nod to that. The spiritual wild-child uses analogue tech because of course she would. It's a nice touch.

I haven't been seriously watching the anime since B&W ended but I felt like I had to jump back in for this episode with Iris!

It was really disappointing that we didn't get any interaction with Ash and Iris outside of the gym, the whole thing just felt so rushed and for a long-awaited reunion I wish we could see them catch up more. We didn't even get to see Ash or Pikachu interact with Haxorus which was really disappointing also.

I definitely agree that this should have been a two-parter with maybe even a 3-on-3 battle showing us a new pokémon of Iris'.

It was still an enjoyable episode but I just hate how rushed it was! Iris' character was so cute though and I really enjoyed that her personality was more than just belittling Ash. The old B&W team (I have no idea if the team has even changed lol) missed an opportunity with her character that would have been so much more enjoyable. I almost want to see a series about Iris' rise to champion after seeing how lovable she can be in the anime, this representation felt a lot truer to her game appearances.

I wonder if this episode gets banned in the US, you know, a black character swinging from tree to tree and all. I personally think the episode won't get banned, but this scene is being taken out (Which would be understandable).

Well, according to the sub, Drayden says “Iris is our current top trainer, in other words the reigning Champion”.
I guess Virgil was too busy with the Eevee squad? Last time we saw him, he demolished Cameron 6-3, and remember, Ash lost to Cameron 6-4...Ash has come a long way!

Kind of remarkable thinking Ash would have had a breeze in the leagues if he was with this team.
Virgil was a League Conference winner. That's still not equivalent to a Champion.
Lost my big notes to a accidental click but hey, great episode, and most of the complaints some (VINYL) have are negated by the episode itself. Not all of course, but most with subs go away.
Ouch. Will you be rewriting them later?
I wonder if this episode gets banned in the US, you know, a black character swinging from tree to tree and all. I personally think the episode won't get banned, but this scene is being taken out (Which would be understandable).
Iris swung on vines back in BW too, and it wasn't a problem then.

The exact same way Gladion's Lycanroc dealt with Outrage's confusion; intentionally hitting itself first to snap itself out of confusion before the opponent could take advantage of it.

Ash's smile at that part looked like a nod to his battle with Gladion, that was a nice touch.

Yes, but Iris/Drayden said it was some "special strategy" during the move, while in fact it happened after it. And in the meantime, Haxorus was left vulnerable which Ash could have used to his advantage if he and Dragonite hadn't just been standing there watching. So, I don't see a special champion-strategy here to be honest.
Iris only mentioned the strategy after Haxorus had rid itself of confusion. No one said anything while it was confused, besides Goh telling Ash to use the opportunity. And I think Ash was hesitant to call out a move because Dragonite was hurt.
I know that, for crying out loud. I meant it as a reason to go on and challenge the top and become a Champion, but he’s disappeared.
He didn't care about the Champion League. He just challenged the League to improve his rescue skills or something, nothing more.

Virgil was a League Conference winner. That's still not equivalent to a Champion.

Ouch. Will you be rewriting them later?

Iris swung on vines back in BW too, and it wasn't a problem then.

....Probably not.

Vine swinging is associated with jungles in general, be it Tarzan or George. Iris is fine doing it.

Iris only mentioned the strategy after Haxorus had rid itself of confusion. No one said anything while it was confused, besides Goh telling Ash to use the opportunity. And I think Ash was hesitant to call out a move because Dragonite was hurt.
Actually, she mentioned after the attack that Haxorus had hit its head against the opponent during the attack to snap out of its confusion, which simply is not true because Haxorus was still confused after the attack until it hit its head against the floor. I keep talking about it because that "strategy" was sold by Drayden as a very special champion-like thing which in fact it wasn't if you ask me and that kind of bugged me.

Those catches lasted only a couple seconds each and were used as a method to provide Goh with a situation where he could meet Iris.
He could have met her, even with the gag, without catching anything before.
That'd have been his first, and only, attempt.

Agreed. I'm suspecting executive meddling.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom