• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

I’m not going to lie, i’m not really an anime fan but I’ve always watched pokemon. I usually watched in the english dub and it’s weird to watch journeys in japanese because it seems so cheesy for me. High shrieky voices and the translations seems weird to me it’s kind of funny. I really hope the English dub on journeys will be how it always been.

At this point I think they're this series' Ace despite my initial assumption about Lucario, though they might pull a Buizel and get supplanted later.
And let's hope to Arceus that it is indeed a Buizel and not a Goodra. Like Dragonite, Goodra was another Pokemon of Ash's that had a 100% win rate for a good while before the League took a huge dump on that whereas Buizel at least still got a decent number of good wins after the Monkey King Takeover.

Even in this episode....
Pikachu showed that bad side of him.

Even in this episode....
Pikachu showed that bad side of him.
GAH. It's even more shocking since Tomioka wrote this episode. Like...what??? I mean, I'm pretty sure Pikachu has had these moments before, but they were all one-off things and were treated as a small gag. Now, in Journeys, especially after JN030...I never want to see that small gag ever again.

1620511094873.png

Tottaly spoiled rotten, only needs to throw another temper tantrum.

Yes. Yonemura already failed us, now it's Tomioka.....
The veteran writers aren't reliable anymore.

Tottaly spoiled rotten, only needs to throw another temper tantrum.

Yes. Yonemura already failed us, now it's Tomioka.....
The veteran writers aren't reliable anymore.
It gets worse when you consider XY093. In that episode, Pikachu did get a little pouty, yes, but if you pay attention, it was more on just not being able to do anything than just wanting to battle. Note how after that one instance, Pikachu helped his teammates on the sidelines and in the end was as happy as he was when battling. Note how he also vigorously cheered on his teammates beforehand. He ALWAYS does this, in fact: cheering on his teammates. I've said this before, but they took Pikachu's most defining quality as a pokemon with prominent leadership skills and replaced it with...whatever THIS is.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the episode to pieces as a whole, but Pikachu is one matter I'm not budging on. Is it so hard to make Pikachu cheer on his teammates??? Pikachu has done it more than anyone else in the series, in fact. Remember the Korrina battle? Pikachu cheered on Hawlucha to the point where it made you wonder if he was a hired cheerleader. The other pokemon won't respect Pikachu like this, either. Remember in XY011, when Froakie, a pokemon shown to not take orders easily, had followed Pikachu? He advised Pikachu not to trust Meowth, yes, but he ended up agreeing with Pikachu(his advice was out of concern). Remember BW047 and BW048??? Literally ALL of the pokemon just followed Pikachu without question??? Do I really need to list any more examples as to how terrible Journeys Pikachu is??? :cautious: :annoyedVoltorb:

*sigh* On the bright side, Iris was excellently written in this episode, and this was just one small moment in the episode that can be ignored. I just pray we won't see another instance of this from Pikachu.

Oh, quit your bellyaching about Pikachu wanting to battle. I dunno about you, but if an old friend who I hadn’t seen in two regions’ worth of traveling called for a rematch, and I wasn’t able to be a part of it, I’d be a bit pouty, to. This ain’t no JN030.
Fair enough. I'm just still salty over the matter, as you can probably guess. :p Sorry if I come off as obstinate, though.

Last edited:
EEK! I rewatched the episode with subtitles this time and I love it EVEN MORE THAN BEFORE.

Not a single moment felt like it was dragging on for too long and the performance of the voice actors here was just impeccable. The scene with Go barely went over a minute and he was actually really enjoyable for the rest of the episode(specifically when he teasingly pointed out how the Rotom Drone had been waiting for Ash and Iris-plus, he was speaking for me the entire battle so there's that:p) and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The entire battle lasted like ten minutes but was pretty straight to the point, which was something I really liked about it.

The actual lines of the episode just made me want to cry in happiness. Ash asking Iris "what's with the outfit" and Iris acting all giddy and excited about her "surprise"...the perfect balance between her lines that showed her childish side and her lines that showed her as a believable champion. I already said this in my first review, but the Iris and Dragonite scene was just GENIUS. :bulbaLove: Iris used her ability to help Dragonite, just like a challenger would, and her bonding with it in the episode over having fun during battles was just so sweet I think I teared up a little(or maybe that was the music score...seriously, who the heck scored this episode???). The soft background and Iris's heartfelt dialogue at showing her understanding of Dragonite's feelings was so genuine and was shown as such with her recalling Axew's experiences-her understanding was purely genuine. Also, "you love Satoshi, don't you?"...that just...I just...god, I love this episode. :cry::bulbaLove: I loved how Iris nearly freaked out at the gym roof being broken before she calmed down at Drayden's reassurance that it was okay and that she got all excited over Ash's Dragonite and Dracovish respectively. Her banter with Ash was a real treat and I seriously cannot wait for Iris to make a return in the anime. :bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove: Iris's entire return was actually really well done-I have no doubts that if a first-time viewer watched this episode, they would fall in love with her instantly: she felt like the type of character that's introduced in a show who people want to find out MORE about-her growth is referenced several times throughout the episode and it'll make the new audience CURIOUS about her, making her more engaging; this is proven when Goh is given the lines of "So, this is Iris..." which basically would sum up the audience's thoughts. (Plus, I was proven right on that deduction when my little sibs RAVED about her:p)

And the callbacks, oh the callbacks, were so aplenty they were one-hundred percent fanservice that was one-hundred percent amazing. Goh throwing the Poke ball at Iris then wondering if she was a pokemon(LOL), the flashbacks with the BW crew(Cilan looks wonderful in this artstyle as well~), Iris saying "you're still so soft" to Pikachu as a callback to her meeting with him in BW02(what an improvement ammiright? :p), the flashback with Drayden and Excadrill, her powers being put into use, etc, etc...oh, Tomioka, please, please, please return as head writer...

Overall, this is literally the first pokemon episode I've watched from Journeys(yes, I'm repeating myself lol) that I've thoroughly enjoyed well enough to want to watch it a couple more hundred times. I've mentioned before-on another thread somewhere-that I love the small moments of the series, and this episode was just filled with them. With a more accurate rating, I give this episode a 9.5/10(the only issue I had was that the animation felt a little bit off sometimes, but at the same time there were these really clean shots that made me gawk at how pretty the visuals were so...:whistle:).

This episode was great. Some shortcomings, but really good.

• Iris is a Champion! And Axew is now a Haxorus! Someone said it earlier before, but yes - it is wonderful to see one of Ash's companions make large amounts of progress in their goals. Being a Champion wasn't on Iris' agenda per se, but it is a remarkable feat that not too long ago would have been specific to her and her alone (out of Ash's friends). It also feels a bit special, since Iris travelled all around Unova, met all of the Gym Leaders, and made a showing for herself to the public eye through the Don Battles; thus her championship feels especially good to me, in that sense - she actually can speak to the region she is the Champion of. I love her outfit, Emolga's introduction of it, and how excited she was to show Ash as well as inform him of her progress in person. Her sending a letter rather than email or phone call via Rotom was a nice reflection of the "natural" aspect of her personality.
    • Aoi Yuki did a fantastic job voicing her. She only had one episode, but I felt every line was full of devotion and love for the character. From her battle calls to her squeals over a Pokémon's cuteness. I'm really happy she brought it with such a great vocal performance. She wasn't kidding during that earlier interview.
  • While they made full use of the episode's allotted time, as so many people have rightfully iterated, this should have been a two-parter. Unlike Korrina, Iris was a main protagonist; previous Poke-Girl returns have featured several episodes with at least two. Yet Iris, who arguably made the most progress career-wise out of her peers, was only given one. Jury's out if she gets another, but I am still disappointed she was not given adequate room to breathe and interact with Ash along with better familiarize herself with Go. The first episode could have been the catching up episode, with Iris working her Dragon magic on Dragonite, with the second episode dedicated to a less rushed battle.
    • One thing that suffered because of this was the revelation of Axew's evolution. Viewers of BW would know this was a very substantial reveal as Iris spent an entire saga with that goal in mind, effectiveness at carrying it out aside. And Axew also wanted to reach the stage as well. Axew was also the "Togepi/Piplup" of the group with a lot of screen-time; thus, you would think Ash & Pikachu would have had a more animated reaction at seeing it fully evolved. Or it affectionately hugging or tackling Ash. That was disappointing, but, again, was due to not being a two-parter.
  • The battle - several highs and several lows. Criticisms aside, I liked it; Dragonite and Dracovish got to stretch their limbs, we had awesome Journeys and pre- Journeys OST, and Axew got to flex its Haxorus chops. Speaking of Haxorus, the way it snapped out of confusion was kind of visceral, but I liked it and I feel it reflected the ferocity of Dragon-types. Also, it looks like Iris' Dragonite gave Ash's its plot armor levels of endurance.
    • Iris' Dragonite would have won against Ash's had they kept going, but it still failed to collect a win at all, which was disappointing. It still has not won an on-screen match under Iris' explicit command. I also did not like how easily it fell to Dracovish's Ice Fang despite its previously displayed, characteristic Ice-type resistance.
    • Dracovish's victory was due to novelty, which was reinforced with how easily Haxorus trounced it; I'm not complaining though - it was expected. It displaying some inexplicable battle-prowess despite not have battled before would have left a bad taste in my mouth.
    • I liked the Ice Beam Vs. Hurricane clash, Breaking Swipe Vs. Dragon Claw, and Dragonite's "Draco Meteor." If it learned Draco Meteor, I hope it replaces Hyper Beam. If it did not, then that was a cool way to redirect Dragon Pulse with Dragonite's natural weather altering abilities through Hurricane; makes me wonder why Ash would call it Draco Meteor though, if in reality is an improvisation of an existing move(s) than an execution of a new one. The meteors being reflected in Dragonite's eyes were a cool visual touch.
  • I get they wanted to demonstrate Iris' secret technique, but it felt contrived as Dragonite has had no issues worrying about its battle performance for Ash prior. Then again. maybe the sudden self-doubt was due to meeting Iris' Dragonite, who gave our sweet child a minor existential crisis. Iris reassuring it makes me want the two Trainers to have a rematch, where she isn't essentially helping her opposition, character or personality aside.
  • These moments are just little things:
    • I loved the first several minutes of the episode with Sirfetch'd. I replayed that scene several times - it was absolutely wonderful. Writers, this is what need more of - give Ash's team opportunities to express their personality or characteristics, even in little 1-minute wonders! Who would have thought Sirfetch'd mundanely opening a letter would make me like the species so much more; Gengar, Lucario, and Dragonite's expressions sold the whole thing. Please give us more of the knight duck.
    • Emolga cheering for Iris, Dragonite, and Haxorus was nice to see, especially since it didn't notably interact with Iris' team during BW (aside from minor scenes with Axew).
    • Iris being concerned about property damage was refreshing; I feel like everyone else takes ceiling holes, wall crashes, and broken windows in stride. I loved that bit. Also, the Rotom being startled as it moved out the way, with its voice, was hilarious.
    • Iris being in her regular clothes prior the fight confirms, in my own little headcanon, that she wears her same outfit two years in B2W2 when she meets you in Castelia. I could never tell if it was the same thing or slightly altered, especially as she notably grew taller in-between the two year gap.
    • If there ever was a time for Ash to flex his Champion status, this would have been it. Also, Iris not calling Go a kid for trying to capture her is such a missed opportunity.
Overall, I really liked this episode. It was great seeing Iris again. I hope she comes back in Journeys and we get visits from Ash's other friends as well.

Very strong episode, and for Dragonite and Dracovish to both get the spotlight is incredible considering they've both been sidelined more than long enough to earn it. The obligatory Goh catches local pokemon bit was short and unobtrusive, as well as providing a callback to how Ash first met Iris back in BW002. The fact Goh catches Pansear and Panpour, but not Pansage, may be interpreted as a reference to Cilan, Ash's other Unova travelling companion.

Ash making it into the Ultra Class on this battle makes it all the more meaningful, and hopefully indicates the writers are going to step up their game for the World Coronation Series storyline which has so far been very inconsistent (only Bea has gotten any major focus for opponents Ash has faced under the tournament). The fact the episode closes on the much discussed collection of silhouettes indicates big things are afoot.

I find it pretty sad that Gengar and Lucario (two of the best Pokemon ever) and, of course, Pikachu too have been getting so little attention recently.
Pikachu has gotten WAYYY too much attention compared to Lucario and Gengar recently.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom