• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN066: Flabebe's White Flower

I do think that in some circles there’s a tendency of ignoring or flat out dismissing constructive criticism when it comes to their favourite show, Pokémon in this instance. "It’s a children's show", or "It’s good no matter what". I think it would be healthier to observe that the show has flaws, and it may impact the enjoyment of others but it doesn’t for someone, rather than to flat out say that the flaws don’t exist or being flat out dismissive of them. I don’t think the issue exists on a huge level on this forum nor am I pointing it towards specific people, but in Internet fandoms it’s usually one extreme or the other.

There’s one extreme that will chew up the show no matter what it does and then there’s the other extreme who's close their ears to legitimate issues of the show.

The main difference between the XY and JN episode was that the flower searching took waay longer in the JN episode. While I get the idea of why Floette leaves, it doesnt touch me inside, I dont feel attached to Floette at all, unlike when Raboot said goodbye. 6,5/10.

Like I said before, if you cant take critisism of your favorite series, why are you here then? On a forum to discuss pokemon episodes, not everyone will agree with your view.

I do think that in some circles there’s a tendency of ignoring or flat out dismissing constructive criticism when it comes to their favourite show, Pokémon in this instance. "It’s a children's show", or "It’s good no matter what". I think it would be healthier to observe that the show has flaws, and it may impact the enjoyment of others but it doesn’t for someone, rather than to flat out say that the flaws don’t exist or being flat out dismissive of them. I don’t think the issue exists on a huge level on this forum nor am I pointing it towards specific people, but in Internet fandoms it’s usually one extreme or the other.

There’s one extreme that will chew up the show no matter what it does and then there’s the other extreme who's close their ears to legitimate issues of the show.
It is an off-topic, but shouldn't constructive criticism contain at least a bit of positive feedback? If there are only flaws mentioned, even if the opinion is justified, it looks like a rather cynical point of view.

It is an off-topic, but shouldn't constructive criticism contain at least a bit of positive feedback? If there are only flaws mentioned, even if the opinion is justified, it looks like a rather cynical point of view.

Not necessarily? Constructive criticism can be negative as well, it just needs to be well... constructive and well phrased and not meant to expressly demean something. If someone doesn’t like something for a valid reason I don’t think they should be forced to include positive things about it to be taken seriously.

Ideally criticism or otherwise should address both sides of the coin but one usually speaks about what strikes out to them and not the other way round since that’s usually covered by other people (because the positive stuff was, of course a highlight to them).

Tl,dr: as long as it’s not insulting, rude or bigoted, and is phrased politely anything goes.

This episode feels like the equivalent of giving Ash's Palpitoad a goodbye episode.

Wasn't really feeling it that much this week, the pacing went too slow for me and nothing really sold me on it besides the ending scene which I thought had a really nice score combined with really pretty shots <3
A lot of the moments in this episode in general were pretty feel good and I liked just seeing more of Goh's passionate side come out, while Grookey's involvement in the plot was fun as always, and I thought Flabebe was adorable throughout. Unfortunately, my biggest gripe with the episode is that they never actually establish any buildup beforehand to effectively deliver the heartfelt goodbye so a lot of it felt unnatural to me. Did Goh and Flabebe even interact up until this point? I think the biggest difference between this and XY's episode is that it lacked that both the stakes (being Florence at the hospital) and the exciting climax (the battle towards the end) to build that character that makes you want to see more of Flabebe. Here, I feel like aside from the rock crushing the flowers, there wasn't really a lot that kept me on my toes. While I think that this episode was a nice way of fleshing out one of the lab Pokémon to develop them alongside Goh, having more moments before this episode or a more tense conflict would've made Flabebe's farewell have much more impact IMO

OVERALL SCORE:
5/10

This episode could have used to develop Flabebe and make her a regular in Gou's team.

But alas, they got rid of her and wasted that.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom