• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN068: A Rival for Go!? The Road to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahem... IT'S HAPPENING!!! :bulbaLove: :bulbaLove: :bulbaLove:

That sure is a vague title if I've ever seen one, though. Wonder if it's referring to that Tsurugi guy?
The rival seems to be referring to Gary which is a bit odd

project mew is just around the corner!! pretty hype about that

but am i like........ the only person who feels weird about the "gohs rival" thing?? moreso a situation where apparently goh gets a rival while its been a year and a half and ash STILL doesnt have a real rival. before anyone says bea or rinto: rintos arc looks done because g'fetchd evolved and we havent seen bea since episode 39. hardly a rivalry in both cases...... why isnt ash allowed to have a rival when it makes total and perfect sense in the context of the world coronation series?? it really feels like more of the writers giving goh anything they feel like giving him on a silver platter while ash is left with sloppy seconds. eh, whatever, i know some people wanted goh to get a rival so its your lucky day if youre one of those people. unrelated, but HOW do you have a pokedex rival?? are you just racing to complete your pokedex faster?? pokemon journeys, elaborate!!

maybe "gohs rival" is gary based on the magazine scans?? but then id feel MORE ripped off because gary is (was??) ASHS rival, not gohs!! but i doubt it and its probably the urshifu guy because theres no way the writers would just make goh the true protagonist and invade on ash meeting an old friend, right?? ....right??? oh god i jinxed it didnt i

but im probably nitpicking at this point because im not the most optimistic when it comes to journeys. fingers crossed that project mew starts off decently because i desperately want to like SOMETHING about this series

I admit I wonder how this will go; if the rivalry is about capturing Mew then the only way to win that rivalry is to capture Mew. So in theory this rivalry might end in a tie if neither captures them by the end?

moreso a situation where apparently goh gets a rival while its been a year and a half and ash STILL doesnt have a real rival. before anyone says bea or rinto: rintos arc looks done because g'fetchd evolved and we havent seen bea since episode 39. hardly a rivalry in both cases...... why isnt ash allowed to have a rival when it makes total and perfect sense in the context of the world coronation series??
I think Leon is supposed to basically fill that role; if Also also had a Gary/Paul type it would be pretty obvious he's not beating Leon, and they at least want to leave that possibility open for the audience to consider.

Thank goodness we don't have to wait too long for Project Mew to get started! I'm really excited for this arc and can't wait to see what they do with it. The prospect of Goh getting a rival is also pretty exciting. I'm assuming it'll be one of those trainers who were shown in relation to Project Mew who's also interested in catching Mew. I can't imagine it would be Gary...that would be an abysmal decision and every corner of the online Pokémon fandom would 100% explode.

but am i like........ the only person who feels weird about the "gohs rival" thing?? moreso a situation where apparently goh gets a rival while its been a year and a half and ash STILL doesnt have a real rival.

I get this, and I don't necessarily disagree. But I do think it's a good thing that Goh is getting a rival. His whole goal has felt kind of incomplete, and I think introducing a rival who likely has the same aspirations as Goh could help to make things feel more finely tuned. There needs to be some more components to Goh's goal aside from simply catching Pokémon, and a rival would definitely spice things up.

Of course, this doesn't excuse the fact that the whole PWC has been handled in a pretty shoddy manner, which includes not giving Ash a recurring rival. Again, I will give them credit for making some of his opponents reappear, but I also don't count them as actual rivals in the same vein as a Gary, Paul, etc. But it did take them this long to give Goh a rival, so there might still be hope for Ash's own rival just yet (though I'm definitely not holding my breath!)

it really feels like more of the writers giving goh anything they feel like giving him on a silver platter while ash is left with sloppy seconds. eh, whatever, i know some people wanted goh to get a rival so its your lucky day if youre one of those people.
I don’t really understand...Even if Ash’s rivals haven’t been great this season, Goh hasn’t had any at all yet so what’s the problem? We don’t know that this guy will feature any more heavily than anything Ash has gotten. Not to mention, Ash also has Gary and Iris (ok, she’s not really a rival per se but she is an opponent that is personal to him) returning. I’m sorry but I just don’t see the “Goh gets handed everything on a silver platter” platitude applying to this situation.

Giving Goh a rival has been one of the more common suggestions people have made in regards to improving his goal. I understand being annoyed that Ash doesn't have a proper rival, especially when that could give the PWC some much needed tension, but saying that Goh getting a rival is something handed to Goh on a silver platter is just baffling to me. This is a big reason why it feels like Goh can't do anything without people complaining about it. There are valid complaints and criticisms about Goh, but when getting a rival is considered another case of "Goh getting everything handed to him on a silver platter," it just comes off as so excessive to me.

Seconded. I do get where that sentiment is coming from, but I remember thinking even early on that Gou has always really needed a rival to keep up his goal and give it more depth. (Tokio/Horace would have been a great one, for instance, but alas.)
In my eyes, Leon is basically Ash's "rival" this series, and he's had a bunch of other smaller ones here and there like Bea and Rinto throughout it to keep things interesting. Gou hasn't even had one yet, so I really don't think it's unfair for him to get one now, especially this late into it. Everyone else has said basically what I was thinking.

I do think it's kinda funny that some people are thinking the episode title is referring to Gary, though. It's definitely not the case given the rest of the title, and the introduction of the Project Mew characters, but even imagining it gives me the shudders. I do love Gou, but I think even I would lose my marbles if that were actually the case. =P

Last edited:
I do think it's kinda funny that some people are thinking the episode title is referring to Gary, though. It's definitely not the case given the rest of the title, and the introduction of the Project Mew characters, but even imagining it gives me the shudders. I do love Gou, but I think even I would lose my marbles if that were actually the case. =P
I think the confusion is coming from the fact that, according to the magazine images in the tweet, this episode will seemingly be about Gary's debut, Infernape's return and the battle against Moltres, and yet the episode's title is focusing on Gou's rival and Project Mew instead. I can't read Japanese, so it's possible that the magazine images are referring to a different episode, but it definitely seems like this episode's title is linked to the magazine images that we're seeing here.

Giving Goh a rival has been one of the more common suggestions people have made in regards to improving his goal. I understand being annoyed that Ash doesn't have a proper rival, especially when that could give the PWC some much needed tension, but saying that Goh getting a rival is something handed to Goh on a silver platter is just baffling to me. This is a big reason why it feels like Goh can't do anything without people complaining about it. There are valid complaints and criticisms about Goh, but when getting a rival is considered another case of "Goh getting everything handed to him on a silver platter," it just comes off as so excessive to me.
Not to mention that giving Goh a rival would address the common complaint about Goh never facing a serious challenge, something even I have to admit was a bit of a problem. Well, now we're finally getting that solved and yet people still complain regardless. Goh just can't win, it seems.

Blastoise confirmed, yah!!!

Found this on Serebii courtesy of Dephender

yzg3pAz.jpg

GO'S CHALLENGE:
What is PROJECT MEW,
which searches for the Mythical Pokémon Mew?

Everyone involved with Pokémon dreams of the Mythical Pokémon Mew. And it appears there is a project team that researches and attempts to locate Mew! Are Tsurugi and Asahi, the two Trainers Go encounters, members of this team?

SUPER POWERFUL RIVALS APPEAR!
Discovering Mew is a big dream for Go, who saw it in person when he was little! Project Mew might turn into a lead that can make him fulfill his dream.
(additional cut-off blurb)

ARE THEY CONNECTED TO THE PROJECT?! LEGENDARY POKÉMON SHOW UP AS WELL!!
The Legendary Pokémon Wulaosu and Regice are in the middle of a battle! Stay tuned to learn what kind of story will take place on this inaccesssible snow peak!

WULAOSU: A Fighting/Dark type Pokémon. It moves are so sharp it finishes matches in a single strike!
(cut-off Regice profile)

AN ABSOLUTE MUST SEE: A MASS GATHERING OF SATOSHI'S POKÉMON!!
Pokémon Satoshi has got in the past appear all at once! We will present the 16 of them that are seen here, though note that he has many other companions in addition to these:
WARUVIAL: Satoshi's Waruvial wears sunglasses.
FIARROW: Reliably evolved from a Yayakoma after many battles.
LIZARDON: A companion that has been through fierce battles in many different places.
ONVERN: Evolved from an Onbat that hatched from an egg Satoshi found by chance.
CHAOBOO: Evolved from a Pokabu that was abandoned by a Trainer!
KABIGON: Satoshi got a wild Kabigon that was wolfing down fruit!
BAYLEAF: A female Pokémon that loves Satoshi!
HERACROS: It loves sap! It has done a lot of good work in battles as well.
HEIGANI: A glutton with a cheerful personality. It has done a lot of good work in battles as well.
MAGMARASHI: Evolved from a Hinoarashi that had its own tempo, and has done good work in battles!
BUOYSEL: Satoshi got this Pokémon when he traded with his companion Hikari.
DONFAN: Evolved in battle from a Gomazou that hatched from an egg!
LUCHABULL: It's obsessed with successfully nailing cool-looking moves.
MIJUMARU: It couldn't keep its eyes open under water, but overcame this issue after training with Satoshi!
WANINOKO: Very cheerful, breaks into a dance whenever it comes out of its Lure Ball.
GOUKAZARU: A Pokémon that achieved victory in many battles. It occasionally runs wild, having an Ability called "Blaze" that increases its power in a pinch.

E2b5APl.jpg

SATOSHI, GO AND SHIGERU
CHALLENGE THE LEGENDARY POKÉMON FIRE!!

An encounter with Shigeru turns into a battle against a legendary Pokémon! Satoshi challenges Fire alongside Goukazaru, the return of a pairing we haven't seen for quite a while! What kind of battle will we get when they form a Fire type tag team with Go and Aceburn?! And just what is Shigeru's goal?!

FIRE: One of the legendary bird Pokémon. Its beautiful feathers look as if they're burning, and even a single one of them is considered an extremely rare valuable.

Blurb: Fire controls flames! How will Satoshi and Go fight it?

Blastoise confirmed, yah!!!

Found this on Serebii courtesy of Dephender

View attachment 143747
GO'S CHALLENGE:
What is PROJECT MEW,
which searches for the Mythical Pokémon Mew?

Everyone involved with Pokémon dreams of the Mythical Pokémon Mew. And it appears there is a project team that researches and attempts to locate Mew! Are Tsurugi and Asahi, the two Trainers Go encounters, members of this team?

SUPER POWERFUL RIVALS APPEAR!
Discovering Mew is a big dream for Go, who saw it in person when he was little! Project Mew might turn into a lead that can make him fulfill his dream.
(additional cut-off blurb)

ARE THEY CONNECTED TO THE PROJECT?! LEGENDARY POKÉMON SHOW UP AS WELL!!
The Legendary Pokémon Wulaosu and Regice are in the middle of a battle! Stay tuned to learn what kind of story will take place on this inaccesssible snow peak!

WULAOSU: A Fighting/Dark type Pokémon. It moves are so sharp it finishes matches in a single strike!
(cut-off Regice profile)

AN ABSOLUTE MUST SEE: A MASS GATHERING OF SATOSHI'S POKÉMON!!
Pokémon Satoshi has got in the past appear all at once! We will present the 16 of them that are seen here, though note that he has many other companions in addition to these:
WARUVIAL: Satoshi's Waruvial wears sunglasses.
FIARROW: Reliably evolved from a Yayakoma after many battles.
LIZARDON: A companion that has been through fierce battles in many different places.
ONVERN: Evolved from an Onbat that hatched from an egg Satoshi found by chance.
CHAOBOO: Evolved from a Pokabu that was abandoned by a Trainer!
KABIGON: Satoshi got a wild Kabigon that was wolfing down fruit!
BAYLEAF: A female Pokémon that loves Satoshi!
HERACROS: It loves sap! It has done a lot of good work in battles as well.
HEIGANI: A glutton with a cheerful personality. It has done a lot of good work in battles as well.
MAGMARASHI: Evolved from a Hinoarashi that had its own tempo, and has done good work in battles!
BUOYSEL: Satoshi got this Pokémon when he traded with his companion Hikari.
DONFAN: Evolved in battle from a Gomazou that hatched from an egg!
LUCHABULL: It's obsessed with successfully nailing cool-looking moves.
MIJUMARU: It couldn't keep its eyes open under water, but overcame this issue after training with Satoshi!
WANINOKO: Very cheerful, breaks into a dance whenever it comes out of its Lure Ball.
GOUKAZARU: A Pokémon that achieved victory in many battles. It occasionally runs wild, having an Ability called "Blaze" that increases its power in a pinch.

View attachment 143749
SATOSHI, GO AND SHIGERU
CHALLENGE THE LEGENDARY POKÉMON FIRE!!

An encounter with Shigeru turns into a battle against a legendary Pokémon! Satoshi challenges Fire alongside Goukazaru, the return of a pairing we haven't seen for quite a while! What kind of battle will we get when they form a Fire type tag team with Go and Aceburn?! And just what is Shigeru's goal?!

FIRE: One of the legendary bird Pokémon. Its beautiful feathers look as if they're burning, and even a single one of them is considered an extremely rare valuable.

Blurb: Fire controls flames! How will Satoshi and Go fight it?
I am hyped this is epicc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom