• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN068: A Rival for Go!? The Road to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still isn't confirmed that Tsurugi (and Asahi) are Goh's rivals, but it is seeming more likely (for Tsurugi) with the current scans. I will continue to hope we get a RS Urshifu arc following Goh later on.
Goh gets a rival and Ash still doesn't have one yaaaaay... At least Gary and best Monke are back.
Well Goh's Wurmple/Silcoon rivalry hasn't been brought up since episode 22, so I am glad that they are expanding on his opponents. /s

Ash still has Bea and seemingly Raihan to look forward to, has just had Rinto, and Korina may show up again, + Gary is possible. I think setting up a frequently appearing rival early in the series would have been difficult given the episodic nature of the show and would likely have taken away from other opponents.
I admit I wonder how this will go; if the rivalry is about capturing Mew then the only way to win that rivalry is to capture Mew. So in theory this rivalry might end in a tie if neither captures them by the end?
Given we see Tsurugi vs. Regice, and Gary (who may be a member) vs. Moltres, I assume that the project Mew members are like Goh and are not only trying to capture Mew. The pre-Mew rivalry will likely revolve around various legendary/ mythical Pokémon with occasional attempts at catching Mew.

Though unlike opponents that Ash can always overcome later, how will the show handle Pokémon that Goh attempts to catch that are caught by his rivals? I doubt we will see multiple Moltres/ Regice in the show.

We don't yet know whom it will focus on. The episode could be an Ash episode outside of the rival establishment.
Like people said, it literally has Gou in the title.
It could also have pretty much even focus for both Ash and Goh, who knows? It's too early to judge it yet based on qualities we don't have full details for.
2 episodes for 2 different plot lines that need their time is objectively better than cramming them into one episode. I know many things aren’t objective, but this one sure is. We’ve learnt that from the Alola episode. It’s too early to judge it, but if it contains both plot lines it’s hard to balance two major aspects in 20 minutes.

This really comes to light when a bunch of people previously tried to justify why the Alola episode was the way it was with "They had too much to cover in too less time", so why would one actively advocate for that to happen again I won’t understand.

It still isn't confirmed that Tsurugi (and Asahi) are Goh's rivals, but it is seeming more likely (for Tsurugi) with the current scans. I will continue to hope we get a RS Urshifu arc following Goh later on.

Well Goh's Wurmple/Silcoon rivalry hasn't been brought up since episode 22, so I am glad that they are expanding on his opponents. /s

Ash still has Bea and seemingly Raihan to look forward to, has just had Rinto, and Korina may show up again, + Gary is possible. I think setting up a frequently appearing rival early in the series would have been difficult given the episodic nature of the show and would likely have taken away from other opponents.

Given we see Tsurugi vs. Regice, and Gary (who may be a member) vs. Moltres, I assume that the project Mew members are like Goh and are not only trying to capture Mew. The pre-Mew rivalry will likely revolve around various legendary/ mythical Pokémon with occasional attempts at catching Mew.

Though unlike opponents that Ash can always overcome later, how will the show handle Pokémon that Goh attempts to catch that are caught by his rivals? I doubt we will see multiple Moltres/ Regice in the show.
We have already seen two Lugias at the same time (Silver and its parent) so multiple Moltres and Regice don't seem too outrageous.
And we have already seen the Legendary Birds multiple times in the show, and they literally can't be the same ones from M2, because if the ones in M2 leave their Islands the world gets fucking destroyed. Also there's Brandon with his Regitrio, and the Regitrio who lives in the tree in M8.
Also the fact that the Galarian forms of the Legendary Birds exists pretty much makes it clear that there is more than one.

Yeah...I have this really bad feeling that Project Mew is going to be shortened to just this episode and we'll move on. It's just a feeling though, based on how one of the magazines from last month showcased Mew(I think it was Corocoro???)and basically implied there was going to be something special in relation to Mew for the month of May...this episode is the last episode to be aired in the month of May and seems to be the only one that actually has a connection to Mew. Then again, the episode is titled "the road to mew", which in my opinion implies that Goh is starting this road, which also would indirectly imply that this arc will go on for longer than the span of one episode. So, I guess it goes either way, but I just have a really bad feeling that this might last for one episode, maximum two. Crossing my fingers, though.

Hmm, that magazine was most likely referring to its next issue.

Project Mew is a long-term goal that goes past this Crown Tundra arc (or episode, maybe). It's obvious that Go won't catch Mew any time soon.

Last edited:
Courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

XWjbxzj.jpg

In the promo video presenting itself as Satohi and Go's new adventure, Satoshi's greatest rival Shigeru finally appears. According to Professor Okido, it appears a project that will be making a full-scale search for Mew, a Mythical Pokémon, has been established and is searching for members. But how will Go, who dreams of "getting every Pokémon and reach Mew" get involved with this "Project Mew"? And what will happen with Satoshi and Shigeru now that they've reunited? New characters appear in the video as well, further increasing the expectations for this new story! Look forward to its premiere!

SHIGERU (Voice actor: Yuko Kobayashi)
Professor Okido's grandson and Satoshi's childhood friend from way back. He's Satoshi's greatest rival, and the two have had many battles thus far. Just like Satoshi, he was once a Pokémon Trainer that set off from Masara Town, but he's now retired as a Trainer and is following the same path of a researcher as Professor Okido.

Professor Okido's grandson and Satoshi's childhood friend from way back. He's Satoshi's greatest rival, and the two have had many battles thus far. Just like Satoshi, he was once a Pokémon Trainer that set off from Masara Town, but he's now retired as a Trainer and is following the same path of a researcher as Professor Okido.
Oh, thank god! Some proper continuity!

Still though, I'm really glad we don't have to worry about Gary being a researcher getting retconned. Heck, maybe they might through a reference to Proffesor Rowan(and Dawn).

Courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

View attachment 143977
In the promo video presenting itself as Satohi and Go's new adventure, Satoshi's greatest rival Shigeru finally appears. According to Professor Okido, it appears a project that will be making a full-scale search for Mew, a Mythical Pokémon, has been established and is searching for members. But how will Go, who dreams of "getting every Pokémon and reach Mew" get involved with this "Project Mew"? And what will happen with Satoshi and Shigeru now that they've reunited? New characters appear in the video as well, further increasing the expectations for this new story! Look forward to its premiere!

SHIGERU (Voice actor: Yuko Kobayashi)
I remember when Gary first appeared in the opening, some people were worried that he was returning as a rival for Ash and suddenly undoing his story as a researcher. Glad to see this wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom