• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN068: A Rival for Go!? The Road to Mew!!

So I saw the episode, no subtitles, it was good, but it turns out the leaks were right and that Infernape wasn't going to be a part of Ash's team again. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I would have liked it too if the other fire starters got even more screentime or be part of Ash's team again.

Seems Kingler, Noctowl, Swellow, Sceptile, Torkoal, Glalie, Staraptor, Torterra, Gliscor, Gible, Unfezant, Snivy, Scraggy, Leavanny, Palpitoad and Boldore aren’t that interested in seeing Ash.

I mean, can you blame Glalie and Kingler. Ash has ignored them for the longest time.

I'll write down all of my thoughts about this later today once I get to watch it a few more times with subtitles - but let me be the first to say this episode was AWESOME. It totally blew my expectations out of the water.

I'll admit I'm a bit surprised Infernape got to do as little as it did, but I'm not exactly too disappointed or anything. What it did get to do was really cool, so I think it was just the right amount IMO. I also wish we got to see all of the reserves, not just that handful... but Muk was there, so oh well, I'm happy. :)

I'm just really really happy to see Gary again after waiting over 11 years since his last appearance. He's my absolute favorite character and I honestly thought this day would never come. :bulbaLove: The callbacks to the Johto League were amazing! Seeing Blastoise in action was awesome! He was so cool here!! And the fact that he got startled by Ash sneaking up on him was pretty hilarious too. XD (BTW... is that HIS Corviknight?! He greeted it like he had seen it before...)

Also... I was NOT expecting those brief mentions/cameos of both Tracey and Paul. Like, WHAT?!?!

Do we always need to assume the worst? Like it was established ages ago that Oak doesn't always let every mon out at once. Heck that explains the limited roster of the SM Oak episode very well (Even the two that broken the Kanto pattern were kind of at a bottom of a lake)

So I saw the episode, no subtitles, it was good, but it turns out the leaks were right and that Infernape wasn't going to be a part of Ash's team again. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I would have liked it too if the other fire starters got even more screentime or be part of Ash's team again.
Wasn't that hard to guess beforehand, IMO. I'm fairly certain that wasn't a real leak but just a guess made based on previews.

Ok, as someone who had ideas for the episode...it was a bit better than I thought (and I thought this would be good). As expected, we got the Muk/Tauros shots, but the "raid" battle being more of a "everyone tries their hand" at battling Moltres was a nice touch, imo, but what really surprised me was not just Paul, but Tracey being mentioned. Great episode.

Wow, they actually mentioned Tracey! Can someone translate what Oak said about him?

In general, Infernape barely got any screentime, let alone Ash's other reserves. Very disappointing.
So true. Better late than never.

Also, for this episode glad to see the second of the legendary birds in this series. Only one more to go (Articuno) as for the battle goes if it wasn't Pikachu and Electivire to the rescue, his cinderace will be tossed. Nonetheless, love to see all the Ash's Pokemon from the past region making their appearance again.

Overall rating: B-

A moment of silence for Torkoal…

Goh not only failed to catch one Pokémon but two. Not only that, but sending Cinderace out was such a waste of time. Seeing Gary make him seethe was enjoyable. Mans was down bad this episode.

Infernape didn’t get to battle as much as I thought it would, and the cameo of Ash’s other reserves was very short. Seeing Gary battle again was nice though.

All in all, I guess the episode served its purpose: nostalgia/continuity and the introduction of Project Mew.

Next to the Pokémon we saw in the project Mew preview and the leaked Tauros, we only saw Muk. Poor Kingler, even though it is the original staple of Oak's lab. But its later colleagues (Muk and Tauros) have running jokes the writers like to use.

No Torkoal, even not when we saw Infernape fight all the other fire types or at the end, when it told the other fire types (and Bulbasaur) about its adventures.

Cameos of Tracey (his image when Prof Oak was talking) and Paul (flashback to Infernape vs Electivire at the Sinnoh League).

Gary on a mission and being part to set up project Mew.

We didn't see a lot of Ash's Pokémon at Oak's lab and Infernape stayed at Oak's lab, but I expected this from the start. Infernape is now the first old pokémon Ash fought with/commanded since Charizard in BW2 I think.

Not a bad episode. Next time I hope to see some of the Pokémon left out this episode. (And maybe some interaction between Ash's present team and some old pokémon.)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom