• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN068: A Rival for Go!? The Road to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode looks amazing, but I fear that Mew stuff+Moltres+reserves are going to be a bit much for a single episode. What is it with Journeys and try to squeeze everything in one single episode?

Episodic nature (Also called Lazy Writers), which Journeys is proving not to work with Pokemon.

First, I’ve been patient with Chloe, but damn. If she’s not even going to tag along in Project Mew, what was the actual point in her this series. I still don’t really know what she’s about, despite having a few episodes.

Second, I think Goh and Ash will have to prove themselves before joining the team, because I don’t imagine people getting in for free whilst dealing with legendaries. I imagine they’ll have to try and find Moltres nearby as a mission/challenge, and showcase their strength against it to be worthy of looking for Mew, considering there’ll be powerful Pokemon on the strenuous journey. Gary will be tasked with this as well, letting him join in the entirety of the arc.

First, I’ve been patient with Chloe, but damn. If she’s not even going to tag along in Project Mew, what was the actual point in her this series. I still don’t really know what she’s about, despite having a few episodes.
Chloe's character arc doesn't revolve around Mew or battling.
I imagine they’ll have to try and find Moltres nearby as a mission/challenge, and showcase their strength against it to be worthy of looking for Mew, considering there’ll be powerful on the strenuous journey.
What we know of the episode suggests that they find Moltres by accident, or at least semi-accident. I doubt it's a test if any kind.
Gary will be tasked with this as well, letting him join in the entirety of the arc.
Gary doesn't appear in any Crown Tundra scenes in the special trailer. I doubt he'll be tagging along.

Chloe's character arc doesn't revolve around Mew or battling.

What we know of the episode suggests that they find Moltres by accident, or at least semi-accident. I doubt it's a test if any kind.

Gary doesn't appear in any Crown Tundra scenes in the special trailer. I doubt he'll be tagging along.
You added nothing to my post/ideas, except full on deflate all my points with “doubt”.

I know that Chloe doesn’t revolve around battling or Mew, but that’s my point - what exactly is she there for? What are her goals? She doesn’t have/want to live up to her Dad, but that’s all I know about her. Will she do anything this series?

“Suggests” is a key word in this series. It’s nice to imagine what they’ll do, since there’s literally no information on how they find Moltres, why Infernape has went missing, or why Gary is even there. They mention “How will Goh get himself involved in this “Project Mew”?”, and this seems like a logical step to me. Proving yourself to be worthy by contesting a legendary.

Just because Gary isn’t in the Crown Tundura doesn’t mean he isn’t present in the research team, and perhaps he’s in the Isle of Armour to look for any clues the two fellow rivals (with the Urishifu) missed out. And again, just because he wasn’t shown doesn’t exactly imply he isn’t there.

The writers aren't to blame for that.
Maybe not but they’re certainly not helping matters either. There are plenty of series out there that have an episodic nature or even one-shot episodes but still feel like you’ve gotten a worthwhile episode without things feeling rushed. With Journeys, it’s honestly hit or miss especially when it comes to major episodes. Like after almost 25 years of the anime’s format, it simply isn’t built for the episodic nature they’ve been trying this series.

Maybe not but they’re certainly not helping matters either. There are plenty of series out there that have an episodic nature or even one-shot episodes but still feel like you’ve gotten a worthwhile episode without things feeling rushed. With Journeys, it’s honestly hit or miss especially when it comes to major episodes. Like after almost 25 years of the anime’s format, it simply isn’t built for the episodic nature they’ve been trying this series.
This is the perfect explanation to why I have never truly enjoyed this format in Pokémon. It was never, in 25 years, like this.

The thing is because it was always an series that moved in arcs like 90% of the time. And the filler episodes that were episodic-ish didn't felt out of place. The problem is because it seems like they wanna cram an entire arc in just an singular episode and it just doesn't works.

Like the Alola episode: even for just the first visit after SM ended, there was enough stuff to make, at least, an 2-parter. Like Ash and Kiawe having the battle for the PWC specially since they promised to have one in the last episode, Goh meeting the gang, check up on everybody, the TRio revisiting Bewear and the others, etc. It seems like there's no way we can make more than one ep be in the same region unless it's Kanto.

Or the Iris episode. And I say this as somebody who absolutely loved that episode. Seriously, we couldn't had another one? But nah, we have to go to Kalos next because of Goh's Flabebé that 99,9% of the fandom forgot that even existed.

Last edited:

Second, I think Goh and Ash will have to prove themselves before joining the team, because I don’t imagine people getting in for free whilst dealing with legendaries. I imagine they’ll have to try and find Moltres nearby as a mission/challenge, and showcase their strength against it to be worthy of looking for Mew, considering there’ll be powerful Pokemon on the strenuous journey. Gary will be tasked with this as well, letting him join in the entirety of the arc.
I feel the first part lol

I know that Chloe doesn’t revolve around battling or Mew, but that’s my point - what exactly is she there for? What are her goals? She doesn’t have/want to live up to her Dad, but that’s all I know about her. Will she do anything this series?
Her goal is to figure out what to do with her life, and she's taking her time in figuring it out.
“Suggests” is a key word in this series. It’s nice to imagine what they’ll do, since there’s literally no information on how they find Moltres, why Infernape has went missing, or why Gary is even there. They mention “How will Goh get himself involved in this “Project Mew”?”, and this seems like a logical step to me. Proving yourself to be worthy by contesting a legendary.
I think Professor Oak figures that he doesn't need to test them, and it'll just be a warmup for the project without any sort of proving or testing.
Just because Gary isn’t in the Crown Tundura doesn’t mean he isn’t present in the research team, and perhaps he’s in the Isle of Armour to look for any clues the two fellow rivals (with the Urishifu) missed out. And again, just because he wasn’t shown doesn’t exactly imply he isn’t there.
To me, Gary doesn't seem to be involved in the project beyond the first episode. His absence in the trailer scenes at Crown Tundra hint towards this being the case.

Does that disqualify her from making an appearance? At this point she might as well complete her goal off screen because it isn’t relevant to what Ash and Gou do?
She's taking her time with it. That's exactly what her mother told her to do.
By that logic they could put TRio under disguise into Project Mew.
That's true. But they aren't. Probably because they don't know about the thing, or decide to stalk the twerps a different way.

Translation:

"The July issue of Animedia comes with a wedding poster of the TV anime "Pokemon" Satoshi & Go & Shigeru! In the article, Mr. Yuko Kobayashi, who played the role of Shigeru, enthusiastically talked about the secret story recorded and the charm of Shigeru. Don't miss the wedding Q & A of the big explosion! Released on June 10th."

Translation:

"The July issue of Animedia comes with a wedding poster of the TV anime "Pokemon" Satoshi & Go & Shigeru! In the article, Mr. Yuko Kobayashi, who played the role of Shigeru, enthusiastically talked about the secret story recorded and the charm of Shigeru. Don't miss the wedding Q & A of the big explosion! Released on June 10th."
Interesting hmm

Maybe it's the theme of the issue this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom