• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN069: Watch Over My First Errand!

Didn’t this director take over quite a while ago, though? Like long enough that episodes created under their direction would have started airing months ago?
I'm not sure about the show's production but it may be possible they took over when a good number of episodes were already planned out and any changes they intended would take a while to become obvious.
Of course we don't know for sure if that is what's going on but I suspected when it was announced that Project Mew might be something the new director came up with.

I'm not sure about the show's production but it may be possible they took over when a good number of episodes were already planned out and any changes they intended would take a while to become obvious.
Of course we don't know for sure if that is what's going on but I suspected when it was announced that Project Mew might be something the new director came up with.
A fair guess, I just don’t think there’s any substantial evidence that a subjective improvement in the series’ quality can necessarily be attributed to the new director.

For a filler, this was actually pretty decent. It had some good moments and it was great seeing Ash actually doing something rather than being in the background. It was great to actually see Sirfetch'd and Gengar get some use again. Also, it was great to finally see Appletun.

Ok, don't know why, but I really have liked how the last 3 episode in particular have been "structured." Combining the Eevee/Grookey errand with a "B-plot" side of having Pelipper run an errand, was not only a good way to naturally have the TRio in the episode, but watching both gangs...watch the Pokemon conduct said errands was very fun. I don't think I need to go into character specifics because they all got to "shine," maybe talk up how Eevee is more responsible than Grookey (which I think would've been the natural assumption based on what we know of the two). Very good episode (maybe even my favorite "Pokemon-centered" episode (though partially due to the human characters, so maybe this doesn't qualify as one).

This was a very cute episode with some great moments!

I don't usually audibly gasp while watching shows, especially Pokémon of all things, but boy did I when Morpeko attacked that dessert after all the hard work Jessie, James, and Meowth put into it. The timing of it really cinched the scene - I had forgotten Morpeko was even there to begin with. No wonder Jessie is apparently, finally fed up with it in the next episode.

I don't want to ruin the party but I've got mixed feelings about this episode. While the Ash/Go/Chloe part was a nice and also heartwarming filler, the TRio part seemed to be unnecessary and didn't make much sense to me, either.

This series could use more of Ash being a leader. It was also nice to see him conveniently have Pokémon on hand that were fitting for the episode’s story (more of this in future episodes please). Usually the writers only do that with Goh and his Pokémon.
I totally agree! This time Ash was the mastermind behind all this and it was great to see him actually take on that role, which is usually given to Go much too often. Yes, I'd say this is exactly the Ash we love to see every time. So, the part of the plot revolving around our heroes' Pokemon, although being a classical filler, was kind of nice and entertaining. However, it did make me wonder why some Pokemon are full-fledged and battle-ready right from the start, while others, like Grookey and Eevee, still seem to be babies although they've been around for quite some time. Go and Chloe really must have spoiled them or neglected their training

But now for the Team Rocket part. I've never got that Morpeko hype actually. TRio neither seems to have a special relationship to it nor does it seem to be particularly strong so that they couldn't defeat it. So, dear Team Rocket, why in the world do you let that food thief keep fooling you? What didn't make sense to me either, was the idea of having Pelipper go on errands when in fact TRio had already been in the possession of that vanilla ice cream. That whole part of the plot seemed inconsequent, far-fatched and like bad writing to me.

To sum up: We had a Team Rocket part that wasn't really good or convincing but, fortunately, we also had the Ash-part that was not only solid and entertaining but also gave us a glimpse of the "real" Ash.

I don’t know why, I feel as though this episode was good, but at the same time, was average. I think it’s cause the show is finally starting to form the basic foundations for what makes a Pokemon episode entertaining. However, those simple ideas (Ash using his Pokemon to benefit the plot, not being a background character, having an interesting concept with developing themes, etc.) should have been there to begin with for all episodes, and shouldn’t be merited with high praise, but rather should be expected.
Oh well, at least they’re on the right track.

I agree that this was a good episode.
Enjoyed watching Satoshi taking the initiative and being a mentor to both Gou and Koharu.
That was something that this series was missing.

Still, I also didn't get why Gou decided to wear Satoshi's clothes, that was random.
That monkey is a nasty little prick, bad influence.

But what made me upset was that shitty rodent......
Please drop it and never bring it back, nobody will miss that asshole.

But what made me upset was that shitty rodent......
Please drop it and never bring it back, nobody will miss that asshole.
I think you're exaggerating. There are probably some people that actually like Morpeko, like me. I can understand the hate, though

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom